NYCOM student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbwb69

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year nycom student...... i just wanted to tell anyone that got accepted to nycom and another school, to take the other school. IF you got accepted to any other DO school take that over nycom i think it is a very big mistake if you go to nycom. i have been here for a year now i am about to star my second year and i hate i want to transfer to umdnj or pcom or anywhere else, so i just wanted to let people know what they are about to get themselves into

Members don't see this ad.

What do you hate speficially at your school?

man some ish went down??!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
A little late to switch schools now, seeing as how NYCOM starts in a week. So great this makes me feel real good. Thanks for making my day.

What is so wrong with NYCOM? I decided to go to AZCOM--but I thought it seemed like a good school and the students and faculty seemed fairly nice.

I am applying now and it seems to me that everyone has their own opinion about each school. It seems inevitable that some with find fulfillment and some will not. I think that people need to make INFORMED choices about where to go to school. DON'T base your opinion of a school on someone elses opinion. GO WHERE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE. The posters opinion is 1 of like 250 so take it for what it's worth and REMEMBER SDN is NOT a direct reflection of all medical student. ONLY a select few students correspond on this board. In all, take these opinons with a GRAIN OF SALT.

I'm just nosy. I'm curious what he feels is so bad about it?

I agree with you bob--make your OWN, informed decisions about schools. You will learn a lot about each school you apply to and interview at. Base your information on that and a well-rounded group of people who attend the schools (not one disgruntled student).

I am going into my second year at NYCOM as well, but unlike the original poster, I actually like NYCOM and am proud to tell people I attend the largest osteopathic school and second largest medical school in the country. I am happy with the education I am receiving at NYCOM, although it can be stressful and overwhelming at times, I feel that NYCOM is preparing me to be the best doctor I can be.

I'm not going to say that there aren't faults with NYCOM - there are. But no school is perfect. Go to any institution of higher learning in the world and there will be people who love it and those that don't. With Dr. Ross-Lee going into her second year as Dean of NYCOM, many changes are taking place. She is trying to transform NYCOM into an institution that people are proud to attend. While there have been some snags here and there, ask any past NYCOM student and they will all agree that the school is changing for the better and student life in general has been improved.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so the original poster is entitled to feel the way he/she does. What I don't appreciate, however, is the manner in which you expressed your feelings. You have single-handedly tried to scare the incoming first years and persuade others from applying to NYCOM. If you are so displeased with the education you are receiving at NYCOM, then why don't you transfer to another school? Why would you waste so much money attending a school that you have such a distaste for? If you are an actual NYCOM student, I wish you good luck this coming year and I hope that you have a change of heart because a negative attitude such as the one you exhibited in your post will not do you, your colleagues, or your future patients any good. If you are just someone who wanted to start trouble, please try to find something more constructive to do with your free time.

For any incoming first years or prospective students, please try not to let the original poster's negative comments persuade your experiences at NYCOM. It is a good school with even better people associated with it. If you have any questions or concerns about NYCOM, feel free to pm me. While NYCOM is not perfect, changes are being made in order to make it better each day.

A whole is only as good as the sum of its parts, it is just a shame that every now and then, a bad seed finds its way into the mix. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer!

This friggin hillarious. I'm a nycom third year student and I couldnt be happier. I sense this poster, if he/she is even a nycom student, was either academically dismissed or has many more problems in life, of which nycom could never solve. This is a good lesson on why these message boards are a double-edged sword. From doing a search through other posts of this person, he/she isnt very keen on being a D.O. in general plus he/she writes at the level of a 6th grader. I guarantee you, this attitude is very, very much in the minority at nycom. My advice to the OP, get some sunblock and make your way to the caribbean my friend.

Hi people, I got accepted this past year to NYCOM, PCOM, and UNECOM, and drexel. I have to say that I felt that NYCOM was the worst school of the bunch. I know this truth all to well. I attended NYIT which is the college campus that NYCOM is located on. I spent many undergraduate night and days studying for classes in NYCOM and made many friends who are now second and third years there. I also have many pals who are going to be attending NYCOM this upcoming year. I would have to say THAT MOST OF THEM ARE VERY UNHAPPY WITH NYCOM, most of them also had other osteo schools to choose from and choose nycom wrongly. The friends who I have going to NYCOM this year are only going because 1) thats the only school they got into, and 2) they were in a BSDO 7 year program. I think that if anyone has the opportunity to go to another osteopathic school or allopathic school they should make that choice.
It isnt a good thing to say that I attend the largest osteopathic school in the country. You are not gonna recieve the level of attention that a up and coming health professional needs. I was TOLD DIRECTLY by one of the Neuroscience Professor at NYCOM that I should go to PCOM. This is a faculty member of a school telling me not to go there. I also know that the whole OMM team at NYCOM has recently resigned. Who knows what that will mean for new students. One more thing NYCOM cant ever control there temperature. In the winter its to hot, in the summer its cold, and when its to hot in the summer the air never works right.

I say beware to all students pondering the idea of attending NYCOM !!!!!

DWB man I think you should transfer to drexel and go to a real school like me !!!!

AnyGod22,

That's actually funny that a professor told you to attend PCOM. When I was applying I was accepted into LECOM, PCOM and NYCOM. I had a professor at PCOM tell me to attend NYCOM because the clinical rotations were far superior and you are not frequently dropped from rotations due to sites closing.

Hey take my words for what they are worth, but I am very happy with NYCOM thus far. I've already stated my opinion about the OMM faculty leaving in another post. Since they are obviously more concerned with their ego's then the students, then thank God they're gone.

All of the changes being made at NYCOM are positive. The OP is just one student. Everyone I know is very happy with NYCOM and anxious to return on Monday.

To the in coming students, don't worry. NYCOM is a very good school that's getting better. Take care y'all. I've been dealing with *****s all day. I don't feel like dealing with another one. :rolleyes:

To those of you who attend NYCOM, what do you like and what do you not like about the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Donut,

I wouldnt exactly say that the rotation sites that NYCOm has lined for you guys are that wonderful. Matter of fact they are more of the lesser presitigous hospitals in the metro area. And from what I have gathered from this past 3rd year class. Alot of the teaching facilities were not what had been expected.
I remember one student at nycom mentioning to me that they had went to PCOM this past year so that they could attend a radiology class being offered. I know both schools are big, but come on man PCOM is so much nicer, is so much more student oriented, and has a better name for itself then NYCOM. I also forgot to add that almost everyone of my undergraduate professors and the chair of the science department told me to forget NYCOM and to go to a real school !

STAY AWAY FROM NYCOM!!! almost the entire omm department resigned, not because they had ego's, but because the institution as a whole did not feel that focusing on OMM was important. The professors were right to resign, because if they stayed they would be doing an injustice to the students. And speaking of rotations, St. Barnibus hospital in NY, one of NY's biggest hospitals does not want NYCOM students to continue rotations there, that says alot about the school. If you dont know about this, it is because it has not been formally announced, but trust me you will soon find out. The campus is horrible, the facilites are even worse, the food in disgusting and the girls that go there are the worst of all! trust me.. id rather stay an extra year in college than go to NYCOM.. itll be worth it believe me.

Antgod22,
How can anyone possibly take you seriously when your past NYCOM thread was about how hot the women are at NYCOM?

You really have some maturing to do.

dmbwb69,
How in this universe could you possibly be a NYCOM student and spell St. Barnabas ?St. Barnibus??

Man I love the mudslinging. Good stuff. First of all, antgod, the fact that you chose to go to NYIT for undergrad says alot about your decision making ability or academic prowess. Please. Also, let's not beat your chest too much about Drexel. As my premed advisor told me years ago "Drexel is where below average premeds who have parents as doctors go to die". To the OP, you obviously have some issues to deal with. I think Oceandoc is right, we're you kicked out of the school? Seriously? You dont add up.

Anyway, I'm starting NYCOM in 10 days and couldnt be more excited. My dad is an MD orthopedic surgeon who works at a hospital where nycom students rotate through and he says the nycom students pound-for-pound, blow the MD students out of the water usually. NYCOM's match list this year far surpassed any D.O. school and many MD schools. As for the hospitals not being up to par, NYCOM rotates through many of the same centers as students from Einstein, Columbia, Downstate, Stonybrook, and Cornell. I guess all those schools are crap too for sending their students there.

As for St. Barnabus, you are more than mistaken. I was told from the horses mouth, so-to-speak, that NYCOM's third year clerkships were not to be affected, only the OPTI was changing hands and it had to do with personal politics, not the quality of students rotating there. You spew utter garbage in an attempt to make someone else look bad and it only makes you look worse my friend. You worry about the air conditioning and I'll worry about becoming a good physician.

To each his own.

yea well NYCOM is filled with idiots like me... we dont know anything.. it says alot about the school. as for pafbdoc.. his daddy prob bought his way into NYCOM.. ooo wow.. flaunt your money... oooo money money money.. and as for bluegold i hope ur not goin to nycom because we dont need anymore uptight homo's like you in this school. you need to have a sense of humor and not be so serious all the time!! oh yea pafbdoc.. wat kind of car did your daddy buy you, if its nice i take back all i said about you if you let me drive it.. ill be your best friends... and the girls at NYCOM definetly suck; and it is a big deal! most normal guys would think so! anywayz im off to watch cartoons.. have a nice day and remember.. STAY AWAY FROM NYCOM!!!

How does that work anyways? Buying your way into a med school? The med school where I work didn't seem keen on the idea of me bribing them.. It didnt work when I offered the people on the adcom each a new sports car.

Damn ethics...

Originally posted by dmbwb69
yea well NYCOM is filled with idiots like me... we dont know anything.. it says alot about the school. as for pafbdoc.. his daddy prob bought his way into NYCOM.. ooo wow.. flaunt your money... oooo money money money.. and as for bluegold i hope ur not goin to nycom because we dont need anymore uptight homo's like you in this school. you need to have a sense of humor and not be so serious all the time!! oh yea pafbdoc.. wat kind of car did your daddy buy you, if its nice i take back all i said about you if you let me drive it.. ill be your best friends... and the girls at NYCOM definetly suck; and it is a big deal! most normal guys would think so! anywayz im off to watch cartoons.. have a nice day and remember.. STAY AWAY FROM NYCOM!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen I'm convinced that I have found the dumbest medical student in America. Congratulations dmbwb69. :clap: :clap:

It's really embarrassing that you are affiliated with NYCOM. Hey, with a class size of 300, you're bound to let a few in.:

You know bashing NYCOM girls isn't cool...especially when you have such a HOT HOT HOT one like me entering this year! LOL

In all seriousness, every school has its pros and cons and I know for a fact that many people making comments in this forum are bitter to NYCOM for personal reasons that shouldn't cause them to start bashing the school. Let's all grow up and become mature.

If you have a particular problem with the school that you feel students should know about...then just state that particular problem sincerely. Don't bash the institution as a whole and expect people to take you seriously.

i agree w/ the above poster. make specific claims and not blanket statements that NYCOM sucks. btw, for all the entering kiddies, i just read on the webboard that class time will be reduced and we will be getting out most days at 3 as opposed to 5. and by noon on most fridays. the only sucky parts is that labs will now be in the morning. it will be kinda gross to walk around w/your hair smelling like dead people...
but kudos to nycom for making the changes....

dmbwb69 Quote:

"that isnt true actually... i was apparently at the top of the leucom waiting list and i got rejected... apparently all of their seats are filled... this is so bad... that was the only school i had a chance to get into.. i guess its carribean for me in january :-( (PS im on my friends screen name.. im not a member of student doctor but i will be soon)"

The above quote was from dmbwb69's friend from the thread LECOM waitlist. He is also the OP for this thread. My guess is that his friend didnt get in to NYCOM either and as a favor, dmbwb69 is now trying to scare away people who are waitlisted at NYCOM, just incase his friend has a slim shot.

Even though this is my first post, I have been reading this forum for two years now. I was one of those silent lurkers. But this one thread enraged me enough to make me start writing. I am sure most of you here already know to take every thing we read on this forum with a grain of salt. There are some competative people out there who will stop at no cost to get what they want. You are about as straight as a pretzel dmb!

excellent first post!

honestly guys, there are tons of second/third year NYCOM students on this site. i have yet to hear som really bad about NYCOM. every school has its problems, but so far it sounds great.

to those applying to nycom for 2004, i will be a first year there this year, and hopefully will be able to report on the situation. although i am cutting my SDN time down to like 1h/week.

Hey,
Does that mean the OMM labs will be in the morning as well?

I think the original poster is automatically discredited after such an intelligent post. Judging by the intelligent posts I usually read from other NYCOM students, there is no way this person attends NYCOM.

To everyone who REALLY will be attending NYCOM......see you on the 11th!!

This is the first time in a looooooooooong time that Ive posted on the pre osteo forum so here goes:

I am a former BS/DO who is now a second year. While I am unhappy with the BS side of the program, and the administrative things at NYIT, I have to say my first year in NYCOM was enjoyable and very educational. Since nycom is filled with "idiots like me" , maybe the poster who said that should just leave nycom. As for the WHOLE OMM team resigning?? Thats simply incorrect. The majority stayed. I do have to say that I am happy that dmbwb69 "doesnt know anything", since it inspires me to study better :)
Ocean, Donut and the rest have said all that really needs saying on this matter though. It is wonderful to know that some people choose to bash things they arent happy with instead of doing something productive.

pafbdoc
Man I love the mudslinging. Good stuff. First of all, antgod, the fact that you chose to go to NYIT for undergrad says alot about your decision making ability or academic prowess. Please. Also, let's not beat your chest too much about Drexel. As my premed advisor told me years ago "Drexel is where below average premeds who have parents as doctors go to die". To the OP, you obviously have some issues to deal with. I think Oceandoc is right, we're you kicked out of the school? Seriously? You dont add up.

hey PAFBDOC, I guess you dont realize that NYCOM is exactly like NYIT. And anything you say bad about NYIT you say about NYCOM. And the comment about drexel is so false you dim wit. Drexel university has only been called drexel university for not even a year. It was originally called MCP - for medical college of PA. And Drexel was and is the first medical school in the entire country to make there campus wireless internet, and they are one of only a handful of medical schools doing real research for parkinsons disease. I forgot what NYCOM was researching ???? Oh yeah how come OMM doesnt work !!!!!!!!! Please dude my school will do circles around yours ;)

Hey dmbwb69 I think you should transfer if you can to any other D.O. school. Even that lame LECOM or EVCOM. EVCOM is desperate for students go there !!! start over !!1

ooooh PISSING CONTEST!!!!

Hey Antgod,

I would save your cocky remarks until you do well on boards and match 4 yrs from now because from what I have heard from your so called colleagues at NYIT you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. So save that chip on your shoulders for when you break 90 on the board exams and match into a good residency.

For everyone else, I was a BS/DO and could have easily applied out (28 MCAT during sophmore yr and 3.93 GPA for undergrad), but chose NYCOM. If I really wanted to apply out and go to such a "prestigious" school such as Drexel, I would have broken 30 on my 2nd attempt.

Anyways, as I enter my 2nd rotation of the third year, I am very pleased with the school because we do blow away most other medical students on the wards. Furthermore, our match list gets better and better as the yrs go on. You guys did make the right decision.

Originally posted by JP2005
Hey Antgod,

I would save your cocky remarks until you do well on boards and match 4 yrs from now because from what I have heard from your so called colleagues at NYIT you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. So save that chip on your shoulders for when you break 90 on the board exams and match into a good residency.

For everyone else, I was a BS/DO and could have easily applied out (28 MCAT during sophmore yr and 3.93 GPA for undergrad), but chose NYCOM. If I really wanted to apply out and go to such a "prestigious" school such as Drexel, I would have broken 30 on my 2nd attempt.

Anyways, as I enter my 2nd rotation of the third year, I am very pleased with the school because we do blow away most other medical students on the wards. Furthermore, our match list gets better and better as the yrs go on. You guys did make the right decision.

:eek: WOW did Antgod get blasted!!!!!!!!!!

I got a question JP: Given the chance to attend both drexel and NYCOM, why would one choose NYCOM. Wouldn't a lot of people want the MD title from drexel? And are the rotations at drexel all that bad? Just lookin for every one's oppinion about drexel vs. NYCOM.

Hey Antgod,

Anyways, as I enter my 2nd rotation of the third year, I am very pleased with the school because we do blow away most other medical students on the wards. Furthermore, our match list gets better and better as the yrs go on. You guys did make the right decision

Hey JP2005,
I find it funny that you harbor such resentment for your very early decision to choose NYCOM out of high school. I guess you got along fine cheating your way through the NYIT undergrad science classes. I also find it funny that someone who is so PRO-OSTEO goes and takes the USLME's as your stated in other posts which I looked up. Why take USMLE ?? Is it because you want a Allopathic residency ??? Why dont you want your pathetic osteopathic residency ? Dont you want to utilize your OMM techniques ? I assume NOT !!!!!!!!

Id also like to know how you NYCOM'ers are blowing away the other medical students during wards ?? Are these students handicapped our somehow inbreed? please explain how you can even measure this ??

JP2005 is another fine example of the trash that roams the halls of the beloved NYCOM !!!! IF anybody is even contemplating attending NYCOM this year or next please do the right thing, dont go !

this is my first post on SDN, and i can honestly say i am very disturbed about what i am reading... i mean we are all gona become doctors some day, we are supposed to be leaders! now what kind of example are we gona set for our community if we let ugly girls roam around the halls of NYCOM, i mean come on! we need to do something about this at once!

Yeah why allow such hideous looking girls in ? I mean atleast set some standards people !!!1

1. I took USMLE to blow away all my allopathic competition...and contrary to popular belief COMLEX is actually harder than USMLE....besides I want to know how it feels when an osteopath takes an allopaths spot in the allopathic match...it will prob be a sweet feeling.....

2. It is funny you accuse me of cheating considering most of the TQs and NOTES floating around in the "NYIT BS/DO Bubble" were probably my originals as I donated my excellent work to the youngins.....and besides if I cheated in undergrad, I wouldn't have honored all the classes I did in NYCOM....

3. I prob won't be using OMM because the fields I am considering simply do not use OMM (i.e. radiology) ....but that doesn't mean I have anything against it...

4. Pakijigga , Ant God....try another method of kickin ppl off the NYCOM wait list bc this idea was dumb and obviously this isn't going to work......

anyways...that is it for me in this forum...I can be found in OSTEOPATHIC AND USMLE FORUM....lata.....

Echino,
What does that stuff mean ? I dont get your pun intended ? yeah its true i had a 20 on my mcat, but i worked my ass off and retried and got a 26 . And who cares if someone used a calculator to put formulas in, I can whip your ass anyday in any subject you little freak.

This thread is SOOO enraging that Echino, Pakij and I all decided to come out of our eternal lurking status and start posting!!! I really don't see an explanation for such animosity towards the school unless you are trying to get people on the waitlist to not go.

THe other thing that is so disturbing is the amount of arrogance. THis goes for JP, Antegod and the whole lot of you.

I was talking to the doc I do research for about arrogant doctors. He told me that those are the worst kind because they are SO confident, that they try less then the modest docs. In the end, the arrogant docs are less productive and efficient and patients like them less.

The problem with this forum is that it is all talk and no action. Thankfully the rest of the world isnt like this

Obviously you should take every post with a grain of salt, but in this case, one must wonder because every school is as good as their students. These students claim to be current students, and one even claim that their faculty told him to go elsewhere. That must at least raise a yellow flag, because if the students hate the school with such feeling, then maybe there is some truth to it. I realize every school has its negatives, and everyone has displayed their dismay with every school, but no school has received this much negative press from so many posters that are current students there. Something that you might really want to check out and invest your time in, before you make a mistake for the next four years...four of the most important years of your life.

the funny thing is that the 3 posters who stated negative things about NYCOM aren't even students there.....one is trying to get in and the other will be a freshman this yr if it is who I think it is..the third as we all know by now will be a big shot at drexel...go figure....

antgod.
answer me this: a year ago, would you have given your pinky for a seat at NYCOM? your previous posts seem to indicate this. What changed so dramatically that you now HATE it? just wondering....

larry

seriously, rxdaisy... if you read carefully there's not much worth raising a yellow flag over. there seems to be almost zero credibility to this thread, just some pissed off peeps with some unknown bone to pick. if you read sdn long enough you will see every single school bashed in some way.

sidenote: i think the poster said he was trying to leave nycom. that alone should be reason to go there.
was he drunk when he wrote this or what?? it makes NO sense!:

" ooo wow.. flaunt your money... oooo money money money.. and as for bluegold i hope ur not goin to nycom because we dont need anymore uptight homo's like you in this school. you need to have a sense of humor and not be so serious all the time!! oh yea pafbdoc.. wat kind of car did your daddy buy you, if its nice i take back all i said about you if you let me drive it.. ill be your best friends... "

Originally posted by Larry Renal
antgod.
answer me this: a year ago, would you have given your pinky for a seat at NYCOM? your previous posts seem to indicate this. What changed so dramatically that you now HATE it? just wondering....

larry

Oh I defintily would of given my left pinky, or even my right too !! But I wasnt expecting a acceptance to a MD school, and when I did i WAS SO HAPPY, that I forgot about nycom and going there. Dont get me wrong its a medical school, and its in a great place,and the students that I know that go there are cool. But I also know its not better then the school that I got into, and its definitly not the best osteopathic school. I can say all of this with confidence. I saw alot of osteopathic schools during my interview days and NYCOM I felt was the worst of them all. But hey thats in my book !! Other people might think defintily.
Just go where u want to go , and where you will feel most comfortable, because hey, this stuff aint easy, gonna be alot of work.

About face! Now he is being somewhat cordial.

looks like the Risperdal is starting to have a response on him.....

I am here to back up my school and not to degrade my colleagues-

I am a third year looking back so I speak from both the pre clinical and the clinical perspectives. I originally chose NYCOM over other schools to which I gained accaptace due to the clinicals. Now that I am in my totations I can say I made the right choice. The first two years were a lot of work as will be the case with all medical schools. But I find that the students who are the most bitter are those that have trouble academically. As with any medical student at any medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) it is not fun to make it this far and have trouble. Yet as a fairly average student, I think it is possible to succeed at NYCOM so long as you are willing to work hard (some will work harder than others). I have found my clinicals to be great and I am well accepted by both DOs and MDs in the hospitals. The list of clinical sites has a diverse composition- from small hospitals to large, from highly diverse patient populations to more homogenous populations. Overall, I have enjoyed attending a school that did the following:

prepared me well for the boards
prepared me for my clinical rotations
offered a diverse set of clinical sites
has had great match results

I wish all those applying lots of luck and all those returning lots of energy~

Yo Jay, that isnt me (bilal), just so you know. Unless u know sum other paki entering first year. lol.

Originally posted by JP2005
the funny thing is that the 3 posters who stated negative things about NYCOM aren't even students there.....one is trying to get in and the other will be a freshman this yr if it is who I think it is..the third as we all know by now will be a big shot at drexel...go figure....

......I might as well add in my 2 cents now that Ive added a post to this discussion. I have real good family friends teaching rotations at Peninsula (dr. freeman) and St.Barnabus (dr.katz), and they have always told me that NYCOM students are better trained than their MD counterparts. This Institution isnt totally perfect to some of its students but according to everyone in the teaching hospitals, it is. And in the real world, thats the opinion that matters.