Nycom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about NYCOM's acceptance processes. They request a nonrefundable $1000 deposit very shortly after acceptance. But if you get accepted very early in the process, you won't even hear from other schools yet. So do you just give them the money to hold your spot and lose it if you choose to go somewhere else? Did I misunderstand something? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, $1,000. That is a lot of money to put down especially if you are accepted in the beginning of the application cycle. How could the ask you to make a decision without allowing you to see your choices. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but is it refundable if you dont attend NYCOM?

Refundable? I dont think any of the osteo schools offer a full refund.

Apparition said:
I'm a little confused about NYCOM's acceptance processes. They request a nonrefundable $1000 deposit very shortly after acceptance. But if you get accepted very early in the process, you won't even hear from other schools yet. So do you just give them the money to hold your spot and lose it if you choose to go somewhere else? Did I misunderstand something? Thanks!

First off, I would not worry about it until you get accepted. You cannot predict if or when you will get accepted, nor can you predict the outcome of the other schools. If you worry about every possible scenario, you will drive yourself bonkers.

Second, if you do get an early acceptance, and are waiting to hear from other schools, try to call NYCOM's admissions office and explain your situation. Try to come up with a good reason for not immediately placing your deposit down (eg., you were hoping to receive financial aid info before making a final deposit, etc.). I can't predict how the admissions office will react, but the worse they can do is say "No". In that case, just send in your deposit.

Yes, $1000 is a lot of money, especially if you end up throwing it away to attend another school. However, it's also a lot less money than the cost to reapply the following year.

It is a lot of money and well worth it. You are getting a spot at an awesome school (NYCOM). Typically though, NYCOM is latest in the cycle to invite and decide. So you really don't have to worry. I believe the only other school that asks for a deposit so quick is TUCOM - and they get $2,000 within 1 or 2 weeks of acceptance. Anyway, with NYCOM, you'll have time most likely to interview at other schools prior to NYCOM.

One major problem with NYCOM that I've discovered: No affordable housing if you're moving a family. Please correct me if I'm wrong (and provide $ info - my idea of affordable may be different from yours).