nycom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody visited or is going to nycom? Good? Bad? Tell me things.

Members don't see this ad.

I've visited NYCOM on a number of occasions, but got the best look when I went there for an interview in November of last year.

The location is very good, but the campus, though somewhat barren and shared with the New York Inst. of Technology, was still quite a departure from most other medical schools I'd visited.

There are now three buildings there, but when I was at the school, there were only two. One served mainly as an administration building with some class facililties as well as the ultra-tiny NYCOM library. I had a real problem with the library because of its size (my firm belief is that a school is really only as strong as its library, and my high school library was larger than the NYCOM library). The other building served as the main class, laboratory, and ambulatory clinic facility. The anatomy lab is located on the top floor of the classroom building that offers a commanding view of the very large NYCOM parking lot.

I never noticed much of a campus life at NYCOM, and the cohesiveness of the student body is sketchy at best. Students seem to separate themselves into cliques, and some seemed way too distant from others for a group of professional colleagues. It was a bit disturbing for me and a deciding factor on whether or not I would ultimately attend NYCOM.

Tim of New York City.

Thanks for the input Tim of NYC. I gained interest through their impressive web site and the fact that I am a NYS resident. A D.O. who sees patients where I work is a clinical professor for NYCOM at Sisters of Charity Hospital in Buffalo. I haven't met him yet but will ask him his opinion when I do. I will be in NYC in a few weeks and if I have time I will check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I should clear up some things before I levae you with the wrong impression. You asked about NYCOM, and from your post, I assumed you were wondering about its physical plant. I think its physical plant sucks. I also think the student interaction on the campus sucks.

On the academic side, however, NYCOM is a superior medical school. I'd go so far as to say it is the best osteopathic medical school out there because of its many connections with NYC allopathic hospitals. The school still sends most of its graduates into primary care residencies, in that respect it's no different from other osteopathic schools, but NYCOM grads get into some pretty nifty allopathic residencies here in NYC.

Tim of New York City.

When you say 'it still sends most of its graduates in primary care residencies', what exactly do you mean. Is that the choice of most of the grads or do they have some say in your residency decision. I agree a residency in NYC would be advantageous.

Well obviously it's the choice of NYCOM grads to go into primary care residencies, that's what I meant. The school, much like other osteopathic schools, I was trying to say, has a particular strength in preparing its students to go into primary care programs.

Tim of New York City.