NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a postcard from nycom stating that my app was under review. do we have to send rec letters or what??????

also, does anyone know what their sec. app is like. you have to fill it out at the time of the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

It's to your advantage to get your letters of recommendation to NYCOM as soon as possible. Try to get one of them from a DO, which will help you tremendously as well.

Applicant2002,
If you don't mind me asking, when did you submitt your primary. I've submitted my app at the beginning of August and have not heard from any of my schools.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Should we be sending in recommendations if this post card doesn't mention anything about it? All it says is that the application is under review. To any current NYCOM student, do you know what the procedure is? Thanks so much!

Are you applying for the next year's class? The class of 2005 has already started its first year. If you areapplying for next year...aren't you too early in the application cycle? About recommendations, I am not sure about this but if I were you I would send in the recommendations regardless of where you are in the application cycle. Then phone the admissions office and ask them to place your recs in your application file. Thats all.

DepressedNYCOMstudent: I have a question about your name. What is making you depressed? Please help us understand. If it has anything to do with NYCOM please inform all of us who are applying there. And to answer your question, I am applying for Fall of 2002. I am not sure what is considered early. The post card said that the interviews will start in October.

I applied in June. and I am applying for the 2002 entering class.

also, I have a question about the 2ndary that they make you fill out at the time of interview. is it just simple questions, or is therre an impromptu essay

Hi All,

I am also very interested in NYCOM. What is the curriculum like? pass rate on the comlex? retention rate? What types of questions are asked on the secondary application.

Thanks in advance.

I would like to know the answers to this one as well.... Any feedback..????

Mike

My advice is to wait until you receive a letter saying that you are being invited to interview before you send in your rec letters. There is less chance of those things getting misfiled or lost since they will definitely have a file for you at that time. You fill out the secondary at the time of the interview. Its really simple. Part of it is basically what you would write on a CV so you might want to bring one with you so you don't forget to put down any of your experiences or accomplishments. The second part of the secondary is a mini essay of sorts. Its really not a big deal and is not meant to be a poetic, perfectly put together essay. You basically just have to write a clear succinct paragraph. I forgot exactly what the essay is but I believe its along the lines of why you want to go to NYCOM or why Osteopathic Medicine. The topic shouldn't be too much of a suprise. For the most part, the interview isn't a big stressful situation but it does depend on who the interviewer is. My interview was with just one basic science professor and was really laid back. Some of my friends had the tag team approach. Just stay calm and be honest. Don't bull**** about anything on your application. You may be asked to talk about anything on your application, including research. Make sure you can talk about your research in a manner that portrays that you really were interested in doing it and you understood exactly what you were doing. Be sure to know about NYCOM and osteopathic medicine and why you chose the two. Oh, and don't be thrown if they ask you about personal things. My interviewer asked me about movies and books that I've recently seen/read and what my favorite class in college was. For the most part the interview is not an interrogation, rather a way to get to know you and to see how well you interact with people. Also, make sure you have a letter from a D.O. It really helps alot. If you don't have one, call up the school and ask them for the name of someone you could talk to. Even if you haven't know the person for a million years the letter, even from a brief interview from a D.O. shows that you've taken an interest in the profession and that you have made a effort to understand the uniqueness behind what it means to be an osteopath.

As far as depressednycom's name, we had a whole discussion about this last year. She apparently was having trouble adjusting during the first few weeks of 1st year and is now happy and not depressed at all. She just hasn't been able to figure out how to change her screen name.

The cirriculum is in block form. That means 4 to 5 weeks of classes and then a week of exams. My class was the first calss with this new policy. The previous first year cirriculum was an exam every monday. For the most part, my class was really happy with the change and we practically begged the administration to keep the block schedule for us this year. While exam week is hell, our overall quality of life I think is better. We are able to leasurely study during the first week or two of the block and have some relatively free weekends. The studying picks up towards the end of the block. Jus tdon't blow off studying during the first week or two or you'll be really far behind. You still have to keep up with everything but you don't have to study like a demon.

I'm not sure about the Comlex pass rate or the retention rate. You may want to ask the admissions office about that one.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions about NYCOM, feel free to ask.

NYCOMScrubs,
I recently was invited to an interview with NYCOM and am a little nervous. You stated you should "know about the school". What types of things should I know? How soon do they schedule the interview after you call? I really had not expected to get an interview and am now waiting for my letters to be sent which I hope aren't held up due to the holidays. Should I schedule the interview before the letters get there or wait? Thanks in advance.

NYCOMscrubs,

I just interviewed there on December 5th and I am waiting for a response. They told me 2-4 wks is the the approx. time that they will let me know. I heard that they accept people by certified mail...otherwise might mean rejection. That is what I heard but im not sure if its true. As far as the interview went, I interviewed with 9 other people. The first thing they do is stick all the interviewees in a room and have you fill out your secondary application. So, if you have a CV or something I would bring it so that you can copy it on there unless you have a really good memory. The essay question I got was something to the effect of why do I want to attend NYCOM. Then you submit your check and $60. Next comes the interview. My group was interviewed by two groups of interviewers. I think ea. group of interviewers was composed of a DO and a science professor. I was the 4th out of 9 people to be interviewed. All the interviewees before me said that the interview was pretty slack. Alot of people said that the interviewers "just wanted to get to know you". My interview on the otherhand was completely different from what they described. My interview was basically a session to clear up some questions that the school had on my transcripts. The guy who interviewed me was somewhat aggressive with me but I answered everything with confidence. My guess is the guy was trying to put me in a stressful situation and wanted to see how I reacted. In my opinion, I did well. However, they did not ask me any questions about me personally. I dont feel that they got a better sense of who I am as individual. So I have mixed feelings about the way it went. Well, enough with the rambling. Good luck!

fozzy40

I just interviewed there on December 5th and I am waiting for a response. They told me 2-4 wks is the the approx. time that they will let me know. I heard that they accept people by certified mail...otherwise might mean rejection. That is what I heard but im not sure if its true. As far as the interview went, I interviewed with 9 other people. The first thing they do is stick all the interviewees in a room and have you fill out your secondary application. So, if you have a CV or something I would bring it so that you can copy it on there unless you have a really good memory. The essay question I got was something to the effect of why do I want to attend NYCOM. Then you submit your check and $60. Next comes the interview. My group was interviewed by two groups of interviewers. I think ea. group of interviewers was composed of a DO and a science professor. I was the 4th out of 9 people to be interviewed. All the interviewees before me said that the interview was pretty slack. Alot of people said that the interviewers "just wanted to get to know you". My interview on the otherhand was completely different from what they described. My interview was basically a session to clear up some questions that the school had on my transcripts. The guy who interviewed me was somewhat aggressive with me but I answered everything with confidence. My guess is the guy was trying to put me in a stressful situation and wanted to see how I reacted. In my opinion, I did well. However, they did not ask me any questions about me personally. I dont feel that they got a better sense of who I am as individual. So I have mixed feelings about the way it went. Well, enough with the rambling. Good luck!

••

I didn't get my acceptance by certified mail...it was just regular mail. I came out of my interview with mixed feelings and I got accepted...don't worry...it will come.

If you arent accapted this year off the waiting list, as I am now, do you have to have all new letters of recommendation sent next year when you reapply?