Nycom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsych

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard that NYCOM has a very difficult curriculum during the first two years. Could any current NYCOMers shed some light on this? How are 3rd and 4th years at NYCOM? Also, how many NYCOM graduates go on to residencies in psychiatry?

Thank you!

neuropsych

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to NYCOM, but know people who do.

The students seem to complain about the tough curriculum, but there is not one NYCOM grad who says they weren't glad.

Great 3rd and 4th year rotations with NYCOM as well.

It was my 2nd choice school.

You can do Psych from any DO school...NYCOM especially.

The attitude of the first two years has changed dramatically over the past several years at NYCOM. The upper administration has just undergone an overhaul and the new Deans are incredible, real student advocates. The change over to the block system of classes and exams happened 3 years ago, and the kinks are finally worked out. They revamped the second year curriculum this year, reducing class hours by about 20% by eliminating redundancy and you get 6 weeks off to study for the boards now too. They're even giving the entire second year class a week off to go to the AOA Convention in Vegas and they're paying for rooms for about 150 people I think! Supposedly the first and second year classes are getting palm pilots "free of charge" as well, but it's still in the planning stage. The third and fourth years seem pretty strong. Hospital affiliations number in the mid 20's and include some of the best hospitals in NY. One of the main clinical campuses, the North Shore University Hospital system, was named the best overall hospital system in America by the AARP, the largest and probably the most powerful lobbying group in the country. As far as psychiatry, it shouldnt be a problem. Psych is supposedly one of the less competitive specialties, no matter where you go.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
how competitive is NYCOM to get in to. assuming great EC's, what stats are required?

3.4, 26...I think this is close to their average.

I know of one person last year who got in with 3.6, 22

Does NYCOM accept mostly New Yorkers? About how many students come from New England states like...say...Connecticut?

neuropsych

Only half the people in my interview session were from NY.

Being that NYCOM is located so close to NJ and CT, you do get a good number of people from there.

FOr exact numbers, you should call NYCOM directly.

The admission staff there is unbelievably helpful and friendly.