NYCOM's DO/MS (clinical nutrition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know about the 5 year program at NYCOM where you get your DO plus an MS in nutrition. It sounds very interesting and I think the 5th year is free. However, when I asked a NYCOM graduate about it, she said she didn't know anyone in the program and that as a doctor you can just pick up a book on nutrition and learn the same stuff since you'll already understand so much about the body.

Are you able to legally prescribe diets as a doctor without some sort of degree or licensing that says you know what you're talking about? I think you must be, since doctors do stuff like this all the time (put people on diets).

And for those of you out there at NYCOM right now, how do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a NYCOM student. I'm not in that program, but from what I remember, it is not a 5 year program. You do the work in the same amount of time. The extra courses, I believe, are given one day a week (I believe it is on Monday nights) NYCOM does have some fellowships which are 5 years with the last three years paid tuition. Those are anatomy and OMM fellowships, in which you help instruct in those courses during your final years intersperrsed with your rotations.

The Masters in nutrition program seems really good, but I didn't have time for it, as I have a family. You should check it out in the catalogue if you're interested. The catalogue is on NYCOM's web site.

The way licensure for dietitians/nutritionists works in most states is that physicians and PhDs are exempt, it's not a problem concerning diet Rx.

I beg to differ with the person's remarks about being able to just pick up a book and learn all you need to know about clinical nutrition. Sure, as a physician we will automatically know a lot about the body; however, when you go through a master's program it's much more that physiology and biochemistry. There is a lot of behavioral and community stuff that goes along with that (in addition to food service which is a moot point for an MD or DO). We also learned how to calculate tube feeding rates, how to construct diabetic/renal/cardiac/mechanical soft, etc diets. There's a lot more to it than just telling someone to eat low fat and leaving it a that.

Phillip Snider, MS, RD
Class of 2004, UNECOM

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited 11-23-1999).]