***NYCPM--Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who belongs in here? If you've decided that NY is for you and will be part of the class of 2011, let us know something about you.... :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there. I interviewed last Tuesday, and received a phone call on Thursday letting me know that I got accepted. The letter arrived on Friday. Really quick turnaround!? Anyone else out there?

Accepted in October, attending this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there in the Fall! I'm moving there in July (also doing the summer program). Thought it's probably a good idea and wanted to have some time to get The City attractions out of my system.

The school said there are about 70 seats filled... so where is everyone else? Not SDNers, I guess. :confused:

I plan on living in Parkchester with a roommate from college... what are you guys doing?

I'll be in Parkchester also. I've been looking at some websites on reviews about Parkchester though, and the majority say that it's pretty bad over there, you can't have a car (even if you do, the parking lot isn't that safe), etc etc. I'm kind of skeptical about the whole living environment.

Also, I'm from NYC, so it's not like I haven't seen it all, but I've never actually LIVED through it all, as I've lived in Brooklyn, and Staten Island; not the Bronx.

I'll be commuting from Jersey from my current place. I've commuted to the Bronx for 4 years, so another 4 years isn't going to hurt I suppose.

Hi KRABMAS... What have you heard about Parkchester? I guess you've been around for 4 years... and I do realize "there is crime everywhere," but would you say Parkchester has a higher incident of crime? What do your classmates say about it? Would you have other suggestions for living arrangements in the city that are a reasonable cost/commute?

Thanks and congrats on your almost graduation! :laugh:

Hi KRABMAS... What have you heard about Parkchester? I guess you've been around for 4 years... and I do realize "there is crime everywhere," but would you say Parkchester has a higher incident of crime? What do your classmates say about it? Would you have other suggestions for living arrangements in the city that are a reasonable cost/commute?

Thanks and congrats on your almost graduation! :laugh:

I have only driven by parkchester. I have never seen the apartments.

Several of my classmates live there and are fine, but I wouldn't walk around after dark alone. Be cautious of your surroundings espescially at first to get used to the place.

If you want to determine if there is more crime there than other parts of NYC you can go to NYC.gov and search for crime. They should have crime events by zipcode broken into categories like - Murders or homecides, theft, arson, car theft, rapes, assults, battery.... I looked for stuff like this when I moved to DC, luckily all the bad stuff happened a block away from where I decided to move so not on my block!

Another benefit of parkchester - new furniture, since it is a new deal. You will meet people and if you decide to move you'll have people to share with. It also includes gas, electric, cable, internet, AC included in electric. I do not think you'll find this elsewhere and the apartments are spacious. The 6 train is right there and stops a block from the school.

If you are dead set against parkchester try craigslist. I know several people who found pretty decent places and some with little old ladies that cook for them.

At least on of you on this thread lives in NYC. Take a subway ride there and walk around during the day and drive by at night and see what you think. Then you can post about your experience. (if you live to tell about it that is -sarcastic).

I hope this was semi-helpful to you all.

I almost moved there but I could not stand to be more than 1 subway stop away from Manhattan.

Hi Everyone (I just signed up for this today).

I'm not sure where I want to stay either. I asked students there and they told me that Draper Hall is nice as its very close and a van takes you right to the college. However its not that large and I don't think there's a kitchen. I was also told that Parkchester is large and has a kitchen. So I don't know where I want to stay either. One person told me it would be better if you stayed on campus first and then found people to stay with. I hope I can make up my mind soon!

I've heard that Draper Hall is pretty disgusting actually. I've had a number of sources tell me this too. The general consensus on Draper is that it's just a small room, with a sink, and a common bathroom area, common kitchen area, etc. It's kept somewhat dirty, and that it's roach infested. Again, this is coming straight from a number of 1st - 3rd year students.

I'll be in Parkchester myself.

I've actually been to Draper and into one of the rooms. I do agree the place is kinda disgusting and the room is ultra tiny. Its an old hospital converted into living quarters. Also, pods arent the only ones living in there, you'll find other medical professionals since its near a hospital (the name slips my mind). Also i was told by a guide that internet access has to be installed yourself since the school doesnt provide in Draper so your ending up sharing a connection with several people. I suppose if you dont have other options are looking for something as you transition its fine, but i wouldnt stay there more than a year in my opinion.

Draper hall will not be an option for you. The school is pulling out.

Call and ask in admissions to be sure. But this is the reason for pushing everyone towards parkchester and having them furnished.

Members don't see this ad :)
Draper is an "unofficial" option. Lisa said it would still be available, but they are definitely not pushing it. That's the impression I got from her...if you ABSOLUTELY want to live there, you can.

I'll be in Draper this summer, then Parkchester in Sept. I wish I knew more about the neighborhood, though.

Hey man... welcome! There is a ton of info on this site. Basically, if you have any questions... Krabmas is the person to go to. She's a great resource and is graduating from NY very soon.

What is "your story"? :thumbup:

Hey man... welcome! There is a ton of info on this site. Basically, if you have any questions... Krabmas is the person to go to. She's a great resource and is graduating from NY very soon.

What is "your story"? :thumbup:

thanks for the nod.:thumbup:

Well I did research in various medical fields, shadowed various professionals and liked this the best! Not really much to my story! lol...i'm excited to move to NY and have decided to stay in parkchester for now. Thanks for the advice!

I'm going for my interview soon for class of 2011. What kind of questions do they ask you? All they've said to me is to plan on being there from 10 am till 1:30 pm. Can anyone provide any info about the inteview?

I'm going for my interview soon for class of 2011. What kind of questions do they ask you? All they've said to me is to plan on being there from 10 am till 1:30 pm. Can anyone provide any info about the inteview?

you'll have 3 interviews. one with basic sciences, one with clinical sciences faculty and one with a student. about 20 min each. Then you get a tour of the school, some shadowing time in the clinic and lunch.

THey will ask why podaitry, and try to get to know you to see if you fit into the NYCPM atmosphere. You should feel free to ask as many questions as you can as well to the people interviewing you. Especially ask the student questions about their experience so far and if they would choose NYCPM if they had to do it again.

feel free to ask me any questions and PM if necessary.

When I went for my interview in February they had me and 2 other people watch a video of the school history in the conference room. They then separated us for faculty interviews followed by a 3rd year student interview. Both interviews were of questions from a 2-3page long form. So it was kind of awkward bc they ask you a question then you wait in awkward silence as they hand write what your answer is (at least thats how it was for my faculty interview- the student was cool though). Questions like why podiatry, what you will bring to NYCPM, why NYCPM, explain "x" on your transcript, nothing out of the ordinary. We then shadowed some of the students in the clinic for a few minutes and were given a tour of the campus. After the tour we ate lunch with 2 current students and asked questions. The end of the day was wrapped up by a short visit with Lisa Lee (very casual visit) and she tells you when you can expect to hear back.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I had my interview with NYCPM yesterday and was accepted today. Hello to all my new classmates.

I had my interview with NYCPM yesterday and was accepted today. Hello to all my new classmates.

I called yesterday and found out i was also accepted I'm so excited. :D

Hey I had a question how hard was your interview and did they make you take the pre matriculated program? How picky were they about the dats and gpa? what were ur interview questions

I got accepted for class of 2011, hope to see everyone there! I'm really excited about this program. I wish everyone the best.