NYCPM - how is it location-wise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rom3o

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was up in NYC over the holidays and was going to go check out the area around NYCPM but once I told my relatives where it was located, they told me not to go.

They told me it was located in Harlem, that it was dangerous, and that if I must go to make sure I went during the day because "it would probably be safe then, but don't go at night".

How accurate is this? Those of you that attend(ed), did you feel safe there? Did you feel safe walking around the region, at night too? I'm a big city person and enjoy walking a lot so this would be a huge deciding factor for me.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in a philly suburb so I don't live in Harlem but addressing the "getting mugged" worry, as long as you don't present yourself as a vulnerable victim, ie always looking around, flashing jewelry, staring at people..., you could be as safe as the daytime.

When I visited NYCPM, there was some puerto rican parade and very little going on in the unoccupied streets. It does look scary to someone not familiar with urban settings.

-Rikhil Patel
-TUSPM 2013

Last edited:
Harlem is not what it used to be. Location could've been better ofcourse but it is not that scary. You just need to be aware, thats all. If everything else works out, I wouldn't rule out NYCPM just based on location. I go there and so far, I haven't faced any problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a native New Yorker and lived in New York my whole life.

Last edited:
Same here, I grew up in NY, born and raised. I went to undergrad and grad school here near Harlem and Washington Heights, respectively.

And I DID get mugged at night...well, an attempt to steal my cellphone last year in Washington Heights, and being from around here, and growing up around here...ANYTHING can happen. Never say never, 'cuz that's what I did, and now I know better. :p

But guess what...I'm STILL applying to NYC schools and still walking around Harlem. Life goes on, things happen, just prevent it, don't walk around late at night alone.

These things shouldn't prevent you from going to school or pursuing a school you want to pursue. I am not speaking for any particular school, but just saying...Things happen anywhere at anytime. I was afraid of the "mugging" at the moment, but it could have been prevented. Just be smart, wherever you are, whether you're in another state or another city or even the countryside. :eek:

Thanks all for your responses. I'm not overly concerned with muggings, I just don't want to have to be constantly looking over my shoulder even during the day. I have already had the "opportunity" of being mugged, and lost 3 front teeth as a result :smuggrin:

Thanks all for your responses. I'm not overly concerned with muggings, I just don't want to have to be constantly looking over my shoulder even during the day. I have already had the "opportunity" of being mugged, and lost 3 front teeth as a result :smuggrin:

Haha, I think I was always looking over my shoulders 24-7 and still got "mugged". Sorry to hear about the 3 front teeth...:eek: I just got my hand bit, thank goodness no skin breakage, but still...I totally understand the concern about location.