NYCPM questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any students (or anyone that knows) about NYCPM? I'm from Long Island and doing my BA upstate...doing my professional degree in the city sounds pretty cool. Is it really just a building and a parking lot? Maube I shouldn't expect a campus like Scholl or DMU but I'm just curious. How is the curriculum and professors? I'm new to podiatry and wasn't aware that students do some medical rotations during the 3rd and 4th year, especially interesting that the NYCPM students do these with med students from columbia, nyu, etc. From those who went through this, are u treated as equals to the MD students? How are the MD students that you work with? Someone mentioned on here that the students at NYCPM do a lot of "chip and clip" procedures...more so than other schools. I'm definitely interested in the surgical aspect of podiatry, along with the diabetic limb salvage so it "sounds" kinda crappy to hear this. However, this was only from 1 person so who knows if its true or not. Also I have read that anyone with a pulse can get into this school. Is this somewhat accurate? I know the admissions for SOME of the pod schools were lax but Scholl, AZPOD, and DMU sound pretty competitive. Does the fact that NY has one of the worst scope/practice limitations have an affect on the NYCPM? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

JEWmongous said:
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any students (or anyone that knows) about NYCPM? I'm from Long Island and doing my BA upstate...doing my professional degree in the city sounds pretty cool. Is it really just a building and a parking lot? Maube I shouldn't expect a campus like Scholl or DMU but I'm just curious. How is the curriculum and professors? I'm new to podiatry and wasn't aware that students do some medical rotations during the 3rd and 4th year, especially interesting that the NYCPM students do these with med students from columbia, nyu, etc. From those who went through this, are u treated as equals to the MD students? How are the MD students that you work with? Someone mentioned on here that the students at NYCPM do a lot of "chip and clip" procedures...more so than other schools. I'm definitely interested in the surgical aspect of podiatry, along with the diabetic limb salvage so it "sounds" kinda crappy to hear this. However, this was only from 1 person so who knows if its true or not. Also I have read that anyone with a pulse can get into this school. Is this somewhat accurate? I know the admissions for SOME of the pod schools were lax but Scholl, AZPOD, and DMU sound pretty competitive. Does the fact that NY has one of the worst scope/practice limitations have an affect on the NYCPM? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again!

I am obviously a student at NYCPM. I am in my 4th year but I have not done the medical rotations yet. from what I have heard from my classmates the medical rotations are what you make of them. if you put in interest the PA and other attendings will teach you and guide you. if you have no interest you can get away with doing very little. in a sense it is your education and money to get all that is available.

some of the med students are more knowledgable and some are not. it depends on the student. some pod students are extremely bright and some are not and some med students are bright and some are not.

the scope of practice issue does not affect the education you get in the classroom but it does affect the clinical exposure to ankle fractures.
the scope includes rearfoot but unfortunately we do not currently have attendings doing many rearfoot procedures.

I chose NYCPM based on location as seems you are tempted to do. please do not chose based on this.

NYCPM does not do interview day acceptances. they also have standards and will not accept anyone.

in certain rotations there is a lot of chip and clip but this has been reduced in recent years.

JEWmongous said:
Hello,
Does the fact that NY has one of the worst scope/practice limitations have an affect on the NYCPM? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again!

What happened to Dr. Lee Rogers? He'd own this question:

Olde thread

Anyways this should answer it all, somehow I bookmarked it from my early days of lurking on sdn :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Catayst said:
What happened to Dr. Lee Rogers? He'd own this question:

Olde thread

Anyways this should answer it all, somehow I bookmarked it from my early days of lurking on sdn :laugh:

why would you bring that up? that was written by a non-nycpm student who heard all that info and visited the school for a few hours.

there is a reason he does not post very much anymore.

if the info was creditable I would have no problem re-posting it. but it is not credible info.

Sorry, you're probably right you know it better. I shadowed a DPM from NYCPM who graduated about 10 years ago and she loved the school. Definitely go see the campus if you live in New York.
It is hard to find any pictures of the school online to see what it looks like though.

Catayst said:
Sorry, you're probably right you know it better. I shadowed a DPM from NYCPM who graduated about 10 years ago and she loved the school. Definitely go see the campus if you live in New York.
It is hard to find any pictures of the school online to see what it looks like though.

it is composed of 2 buildings that look like one because it is an old building attached to a new one.

there is also a parking lot but that was sold.

yikes sounds like quite the place. Are the classrooms and such relatively modern or is it pretty old-school?

JEWmongous said:
yikes sounds like quite the place. Are the classrooms and such relatively modern or is it pretty old-school?

have you not visited? you should really visit the school. they have open houses and will let you visit when ever you want - you'll get a tour, time in the clinic and free lunch.

capo said:
What does this mean? Were you thinking out loud again? :laugh:

I thried to post the google satellite map of NYCPM but it did not work so instead of bump I put woops. I like that better than bump.

if anyone wants to see the little building that could otherwise known as NYCPM...

do a google map satellite search of 1800 park ave NY NY 10035 and the green arrow will point to the parking lot. the building is at about 10:30 or 11:00 to the parking lot in the google view.

JEWmongous said:

I forgot to answer the modern part of the question.

the classrooms were just updated to include more comfy seats and new tables and new carpet.

the classrooms have for a while had computers for powerpoint presentations and screens to show them on and also monitors closer to the seats for better view of ppt.

there are also projectors for slide shows but these are not used too often, sometimes for surgery and derm. the monitors do not show slides

there is also an ELMO which is similar to an overhead projector but it does not need transparencies. you could put a text book directly on it and it shows that on the screen.

the clinic was redone about 4 years ago and gets new updates every now and again. the most recent were digital x-ray system with comuters to view them on.

computerized charts in every patient room (really it is an arcaic system that is basically word - but better than nothing)

physical therapy - 1 year old in the basement. we do 2 week rotation thru PT

there is a skills lab - few months old. we did a biopsy lab on pigs feet there. students can only use it with an advisor.

this is all the stuff that sounds good on paper. please visit to see for yourself.

Thanks for the info! I sent NYCPM an email asking if they can give me a tour or let me look around sometime next week. I'm going to study abroad in France and leaving Saturday so I definitely would like to see before I go. I can always do it in December when I'm on break but it still would be cool to see the place sometime soon. Is there any summer sessions going on now? Thanks again

I think everyone is in class or clinic at this point. the 4th years are out on rotations and there may still be a summer class in session.

krabmas said:
I think everyone is in class or clinic at this point. the 4th years are out on rotations and there may still be a summer class in session.

Hey Krabmas,
I scheduled an "exploratory visit" with NYCPM this Thursday at 11:00am. Let me ask you something, should I be wearing a shirt and tie or is it pretty laid back? Maybe I'll see you there. Sounds like it will be a pretty good experience. Thanks again for the idea.

JEWmongous said:
Hey Krabmas,
I scheduled an "exploratory visit" with NYCPM this Thursday at 11:00am. Let me ask you something, should I be wearing a shirt and tie or is it pretty laid back? Maybe I'll see you there. Sounds like it will be a pretty good experience. Thanks again for the idea.

I'm in Colorado on externship. yes wear a shirt and tie if not a suit. always dress more formally than you think you should.

i was just wondering, where do most students live? is there on campus housing? how much is an average studio/1 bedroom apartment in NY go for (in or outside of the city?

i was just wondering, where do most students live? is there on campus housing? how much is an average studio/1 bedroom apartment in NY go for (in or outside of the city?

this has been answered several times on sdn, please do a search for draper on sdn, then pm me if you still have questions.