NYCPM vs. DMU vs. Temple vs. Kent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
so I received interviews for 4 schools, and I can afford to fly out to 2 locations (from Cali). pro's and con's? Sarcastic comments?

EDIT: how are the campuses, inside and out?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hit up nycpm and temple on the same trip and I would also suggest checking out DMU. Great school but the location in iowa is not for everyone, especially californians. I went to USC so I know how different they are lol. I think it's important to see if you could see yourself living there for the next few years.

so I received interviews for 4 schools, and I can afford to fly out to 2 locations (from Cali). pro's and con's? Sarcastic comments?

EDIT: how are the campuses, inside and out?

Temple and NYCPM can be done in 1 trip (hopefully, with careful planning). Greyhound bus between the two is short and cheap. I believe both give free hotel rooms as well.

That leaves DMU and Kent to choose. Both are fine schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told to choose DMU over all the other schools if I have the chance by the pod that I shadowed. They have a really small class size and apparently they have a really high reputation (at least at the residency program that he helps run).

If you have the time then no reason why not all of them, Temple and NYCPM on one trip. Then go to chicago and hit up scholl DMU and Ohio, all of them are cheap to get to from chicago via amtrak or greyhound.

If you have the time then no reason why not all of them, Temple and NYCPM on one trip. Then go to chicago and hit up scholl DMU and Ohio, all of them are cheap to get to from chicago via amtrak or greyhound.

a back-pack extravaganza! Just remember to bring an iron if you don't plan on checking into a hotel between these stops

I hear once you go DMU you never go back! SDN has a large DMU support group.

Why not the two California DPM schools??? If you got an interview to DesMoise, Iowa then you probably could have gotten an interview from at least one of the Cali schools.

Just wondering since it must be a bummer since all those schools are completely across the country from you.
But best idea would be to maybe do what everyone else is saying, fly to either Temple or NY schedule the flight for the one you interview first at then take a bus to the other one. But I do think that

Temple and NYCPM are just 98 miles apart, but Kent State is another 400 miles away from Temple, then Kenn State to DMU is another 685 miles. So I think best idea would be at least go to Temple and NYCPM on the same trip and then pick between Kenn State and Des Moines

To answer your original question, I'd pick NYCPM and DMU.

Completely opposite cities and programs (but both have good stats). DMU is small class size in a small city, whereas NYCPM is a big program in a BIG town.

Looking back on my interview process, I would not have spent the money on Temple. The building was old and run down and the admissions department was not very professional. It definitely begs the question how the rest of the school runs. If you don't care about nice facilities/professionalism then Temple wouldn't be a bad visit - they have a really good history of placing good numbers of people in the top residencies.

Iowa, Des Moines, and DMU are all mostly white. It's a pretty close M:F ratio I believe, religions I have no idea.

Temple does have slightly run down facilities but that does NOT make it a bad school.

When it really comes down to it. SDN has preferences because some schools are represented more than others by posters. In the end, all the schools are accredited, and all the schools produce excellent podiatrists/leaders in the field.

THe big difference is HOW they teach you, as well as economic, and geographic concerns. That's why you need to visit as many as possible to get the perfect fit.

Had I listened to the posters on SDN I would not be where I am now. I'm quite happy with my education even though its not a "sexy" SDN school.

I will admit that the Temple admissions dept acts like used car salesmen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit that the Temple admissions dept acts like used car salesmen.

LOL While I ultimately chose Temple over DMU/KSU/NYCPM, it was INSPITEof the admissions department !!! I think it has been conclusivley supported in this forum that they need some serious work:naughty:

I would recommend doing either NYCPM or Temple as they are similar in a lot of ways (and I agree with other posters that you can and should do both in one trip) and DMU or kent as the have a similar setting but are also distinctively different.I think DMU was better overall, but also feel like KSU is the one size fits all of podiatry schools yet not really the best in any aspect. (maybe coolest campus??)

Scratch that. KSUCPM has nicest and most helpful admissions/recruiters of the four schools I visited.They really made me feel comfortable there