NYIT Jonesboro (AR) vs ACOM (Alabama COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chacothefish

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was accepted into two schools at the moment. I am still waiting on a couple others, but it seems like these two are my top choices as of now. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on which school I should pick, between NYIT Jonesboro or ACOM (Alabama COM). Here are the pros and cons I've seen for each:

NYIT Jonesboro (AR)

Pros:
P/F
Nonmandatory lectures
Housing is cheaper
Closer to family

Cons:
High remediation (?) Can anyone speak on this? I saw a thread that said 30 students had to remediate last year.
Not great rotations
65k a year

ACOM

Pros:
COMLEX scores higher than NYIT by a little
9K cheaper
Better rotations
Lower attrition/remediation

Cons:
Graded system (ABCDEF)
Mandatory 60/40 lectures
More rural than Arkansas

I welcome insight, thoughts, and perspectives, especially those who were accepted into these schools or are current students at these schools! Thanks! The only thing that worries me about NYIT is the high attrition lol...

Members don't see this ad.

ACOM isn't a scam of a school or anything. I know nothing about NYIT. In the mandatory classes at ACOM, are you allowed to put earbuds in and study, or is it like a "let's all argue about why the wrong answer is right?" If you don't know, ask. VCOM for example has mandatory class but if you're allowed to study during like VCOm does I wouldn't let that affect your decision.

High attrition rates are a big deal. You're borrowing a LOT of money to not become a doctor.

I met an ACOM faculty member this week who was touring my school. Seemed like a nice guy.

ACOM isn't a scam of a school or anything. I know nothing about NYIT. In the mandatory classes at ACOM, are you allowed to put earbuds in and study, or is it like a "let's all argue about why the wrong answer is right?" If you don't know, ask. VCOM for example has mandatory class but if you're allowed to study during like VCOm does I wouldn't let that affect your decision.

High attrition rates are a big deal. You're borrowing a LOT of money to not become a doctor.

I met an ACOM faculty member this week who was touring my school. Seemed like a nice guy.
I don't know about if I'm allowed to put earbuds in to study or not... I don't know how I would know that considering I'm not in medical school yet and I don't know anyone who goes to ACOM (sad face). I also think that could be a weird question to email ADCOM.

I've heard that NYIT has high remediation, not attrition. But, that was for last year. This year, I hear that the students are doing REALLY well. And before last year, they had no problems with remediation. So, I'm not necessarily sure what to do. I was drawn to ACOM initially because of the great faculty. Seemed very kind and very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, can't help you man. I've had acquaintances go to ACOM and do well but nobody I can just shoot a text to.

Sorry. Hopefully some students at these schools will chime in. Have you tried the school-specific threads?

If you're admitted, ask the adcom at either school whatever you want. You're in, you've won the game. Now ya gotta do what's best for you.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

I was accepted into two schools at the moment. I am still waiting on a couple others, but it seems like these two are my top choices as of now. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on which school I should pick, between NYIT Jonesboro or ACOM (Alabama COM). Here are the pros and cons I've seen for each:

NYIT Jonesboro (AR)

Pros:
P/F
Nonmandatory lectures
Housing is cheaper
Closer to family

Cons:
High remediation (?) Can anyone speak on this? I saw a thread that said 30 students had to remediate last year.
Not great rotations
65k a year

ACOM

Pros:
COMLEX scores higher than NYIT by a little
9K cheaper
Better rotations
Lower attrition/remediation

Cons:
Graded system (ABCDEF)
Mandatory 60/40 lectures
More rural than Arkansas

I welcome insight, thoughts, and perspectives, especially those who were accepted into these schools or are current students at these schools! Thanks! The only thing that worries me about NYIT is the high attrition lol...
FYI, Jonesboro population is 79k. Dothan population is 71k. Based on that and the geography of the surrounding areas of each city, I would not consider either more rural than the other.

FYI, Jonesboro population is 79k. Dothan population is 71k. Based on that and the geography of the surrounding areas of each city, I would not consider either more rural than the other.
Which one would you choose?

In a similar boat, I'm leaning towards ACOM due to the boards pass rates. Makes a big difference with a school supporting students for that and residency placements seemed good to me. Grades are a bummer but can maybe be beneficial for competitive specialties, especially if thinking of leaving the state. In the presentations post interview, the dean did mention that the attendance is only really mandatory for days there are guest lecturers. (Also Jonesboro is situated in a dry county, if that affects you at all)