NYITCOM vs UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenmjfan

Reaction score
NYITCOM
Pros
  • I feel like from what I have read it maybe has a slightly better reputation?
  • I currently live in MA so would enjoy living in a new area!
  • The students who go here seem to love it
Cons
  • I have heard in the past years it has deteriorated in terms of its reputation
  • Did not click with my interviewer as much but there was a bit of a language barrier so I do not want this to affect my decision too much

UNECOM
Pros
  • Only a 45 min drive from where I live right now and from all my family
  • I know an ALUM who graduated from there and is very successful, and speaks very highly of it
  • Will have a new campus second year (hopefully)
  • During the interview I clicked a bit more with the faculty and staff
Cons
  • Will have to move between first and second year because new campus in Portland, ME opening during second year (also kind of a pro to be on a new campus?)
  • I have heard that they are slightly disorganized and students have complained about that and said not to attend (this was also from a PA student though)
  • Not as good of a reputation

Summary:
One huge thing is the rotation sites, I obviously want to make sure I am set up to be able to match into a good residency. In this way I think the schools are more comparable in that I will have to move a lot for clinical rotations as the school is not associated with a specific hospital or anything!

Also right now I am thinking I would eventually like to work in fertility so I would most likely be looking to match to OB/GYN and the schools have similar match rates in this aspect!

Lastly, I am definitely more of an independent studier so I would like to have flexibility in watching lectures remote and such (which I think both schools do not have mandatory lectures)

Excited to hear your opinions!!! thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.