NYMC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those of us who have been accepted at NYMC or who are currently med students there. I don't know where I'll end up next year, but I really liked NYMC when I interviewed there!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview invite and I scheduled it for march 16th! This is my first interview and I'm really excited! I hear a lot of good things about the school so I can't wait to see it.

I got an acceptance notice on 11/26 too, but haven't received the letter in the mail yet. Kinda nervous...

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering the acceptance notification went out the day before the Thanksgiving holiday, I wouldn't expect the acceptance packets to have been sent out before Monday (12/1) at the absolute earliest. We'll probably get something toward the end of this week.

I got an acceptance notice on 11/26 too, but haven't received the letter in the mail yet. Kinda nervous...

Don't worry, there was a 2 week space between when I got the email and the actual letter.

When did you all interview? I interviewed on 10/21 and was accepted 11/26, so I'm wondering if I know any of you! I'm not sure if it is where I'll end up either, but I loved the school and the area.

NYMC was just purchased by Touro University. There is a good chance that the entering class of 2013 will not be called NYMC but something along the lines of NYMC at Touro University, or Touro University School of Medicine, etc.

I recommend using this knowledge when deciding whether or not you'd like to attend the school.

NYMC was just purchased by Touro University. There is a good chance that the entering class of 2013 will not be called NYMC but something along the lines of NYMC at Touro University, or Touro University School of Medicine, etc.

I recommend using this knowledge when deciding whether or not you'd like to attend the school.

Can anyone confirm this?

What I find interesting is that Touro is a Jewish University while NYMC is a Catholic med school. I wonder how that'll work.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I find interesting is that Touro is a Jewish University while NYMC is a Catholic med school. I wonder how that'll work.

Probably won't matter. My dad attended NYMC in the 60s and a large chunk of the NYMC class back then was Jewish anyway! NYMC also used to be a holistic medical school, so things can change. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. Touro also has a new medical school in NJ that may open this year. Would they have 2 medical schools? Separate branches of the same medical school?

Hey, I'm a fourth year at NYMC, and a member of the student senate. We actually have a class meeting tomorrow to discuss the details of it but I will tell you what I know.

NYMC, is one of the few medical schools who operates without an associated undergraduate university. As a result of the expenses it costs to run a medical school coupled with the current economy, NYMC had been looking to merge with another university. A few of the possibilities that were entertained were Notre Dame, St Johns, Fordham...but for one reason or another they all fell through. However, Touro, which is a blanket name for many different universities including a law school, 2 Do schools I believe and some others offered to purchase us. According to their mission statement, they have always had a goal of building an allopathic medical school. They had invested 200 million into one at NJ, however, they discovered it would be cheaper to merge with us then finish there school. Currently We are working out 'due dilligence' process with them, and although the agreement is NOT final, it looks like it will occur.

The feedback from the students has been mixed, as they did not sign up to go to Touro. However, Touro is a huge financial industry, with lots of money that will give the school financial stability.

Some good things from the potential merger (from what I've heard thru senate):
1.) Financial stability (apparently the day we sign with them our school gets 28 million more of funds instantly)
2.) Access to Hackensack Medical Center - supposedly an amazing hospital, which is used by both RWJ and UMDNJ - Newark, but will be ours if we merge
3.) Multiple housing/libraries in the city

Some Bad things (which I've heard as well):
1.) Touro is not the strongest of names, and has had some bad press in the past
2.) No one knows how this will effect the reputation of the school, although it is thought nothing will change as our faculty and everything will be the same, only adding new sites to do clinicals at (this will give us hospitals in NY (NYC, Westchester, bronx), NJ (Hackensack), Connecticut (Grenich, Danbury, Bridgeport))

Although these are some of the facts, I am sure there is a lot of information I am not privy to. However, only time will tell what will happen. If you guys have any questions feel free to post and I will do my best to respond

Best of luck with the process

Hey, I'm a fourth year at NYMC, and a member of the student senate. We actually have a class meeting tomorrow to discuss the details of it but I will tell you what I know.

NYMC, is one of the few medical schools who operates without an associated undergraduate university. As a result of the expenses it costs to run a medical school coupled with the current economy, NYMC had been looking to merge with another university. A few of the possibilities that were entertained were Notre Dame, St Johns, Fordham...but for one reason or another they all fell through. However, Touro, which is a blanket name for many different universities including a law school, 2 Do schools I believe and some others offered to purchase us. According to their mission statement, they have always had a goal of building an allopathic medical school. They had invested 200 million into one at NJ, however, they discovered it would be cheaper to merge with us then finish there school. Currently We are working out 'due dilligence' process with them, and although the agreement is NOT final, it looks like it will occur.

The feedback from the students has been mixed, as they did not sign up to go to Touro. However, Touro is a huge financial industry, with lots of money that will give the school financial stability.

1.) Financial stability (apparently the day we sign with them our school gets 28 million more of funds instantly)
2.) Access to Hackensack Medical Center - supposedly an amazing hospital, which is used by both RWJ and UMDNJ - Newark, but will be ours if we merge

2.) No one knows how this will effect the reputation of the school, although it is thought nothing will change as our faculty and everything will be the same, only adding new sites to do clinicals at (this will give us hospitals in NY (NYC, Westchester, bronx), NJ (Hackensack), Connecticut (Grenich, Danbury, Bridgeport))

Although these are some of the facts, I am sure there is a lot of information I am not privy to. However, only time will tell what will happen. If you guys have any questions feel free to post and I will do my best to respond

Good to know, boyz. thanks for the 411. :thumbup:

boyz, so with that 28 million more in funds, does this mean that new/current students will get a higher fin aid package than before?

About the financial aid... no decrease in tuition immediately. I actually heard the tuition may go up a little (I'll get the full story tom). 28 mill actually isnt that much if you think of it. Theres 3 different schools here (MD/MPH/basic science). From what I understand a lot of the money will be used for the new hospitals we have signed agreements to work with (norwalk and phelps).

I enjoy that I learn more about my school's situation from SDN than the admin.

My only question is if Touro is "for profit", because doesn't that go against the accreditation standards? Are all the Touros related..there seems to be a franchise of them?

Hi, I'm a current student - please let us know what happens at the meeting. Thanks.

Hey guys

I'm a 3rd year MD/MPHer at NYMC and also in the Student Senate, here to weigh in on this. Although nothing is set in stone yet, this is my understanding of the situation:

First, Touro is not a "for profit" institution, from their website "Touro College is a New York-based, not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with branches and campuses around the world."

Second, last year they sold their online division, so it is not a fake online college

Third, New York Medical College will retain its name, its facilities, its accreditation as an LCME-accreditated MD-granting allopathic School of Medicine

Fourth, the allopathic medical school Touro was working on, "Touro University SOM," will no longer exist, and the Hackensack University Medical Center and Jersey VA will become academic affiliates of NYMC

Let me know if you have any questions, although this is complicated matter with both upsides and downsides, in the end NYMC gains another strong academic medical center affiliation in Jersey and cements itself as a regional heavyweight in medical education with soon to be 3 tertiary care academic medical centers, 4 NYC-metro area Level-1 trauma centers, and as boyz of 4d said an extensive network of other facilities in Connecticut, Westchester, NYC, and soon to be Jersey

So we are retaining the name? I feel better then. As terrible as it sounds, that's important to me. I don't want our school to have a name that can be misconstrued for Touro's less competitive DO schools (although I interviewed at Touro-CA and it was pretty decent).

NYMC is a strong name with a longstanding reputation and I don't want to lose that.

I'm an MD student here at NYMC and all I can say is that if I were in your shoes and I had an acceptance at another pre-allopathic, US medical school, I would take the other acceptance. I'm not a member of the student senate so I may not be as well informed as some of the other posters here but I know I signed up for New York Medical College not NYMC at Touro. The idea of a medical school selling their integrity to a diploma mill institution with a history of scandal is sickening. The school is in some serious financial trouble and basically they are willing to sell their reputation to keep the school afloat. Touro may have sold their online division but apparently they still like selling degrees from their institution.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19797601/

Maybe Touro is trying to become more legit by merging with NYMC but everyone knows that it's very hard to regain credibility once you tarnish your reputation. So what does that say about NYMC if it wants to associate their academic credentials with Touro? They may not be able to sell MD degrees but realize that your MD degree will be coming from a school with connections to a questionable institution. I would have rather have been bought out by a pharmaceutical company. At least we would have become a state of the art research school.

Some other stuff to consider: Touro has at least 1 other DO school. If the schools merge what does that mean for the reputation of NYMC? What does that mean for 3rd year clerkship spots? Other students are saying that oh yes, we would have access to this great hospital in NJ. In the same paragraph they are saying "I am sure there is a lot of information I am not privy to". Basically everything is a big fat unknown. No one, not even the administrators know what's going on.

And yes, I am clearly biased cause I am pissed off. I debated whether to post here or not but I felt that you guys deserved a differing opinion. You guys deserve to have what little information is available. And consider this, do you want to go to a medical school that has such little regard for the opinions of students or alumni? I doubt the alumni have any clue what's going on given the fact that the med students just found out a few days ago from word of mouth. This place has so little respect for its students that it won't keep us informed. Yeah the negotiation is under a confidentiality clause...but shouldn't the students have been involved in the decision making process in the first place?

I'm trying to transfer out of this place asap, but it's unlikely it'll work. It's very hard to transfer between medical schools. Consider this the warning, I never had.

Hey there

Just to reinterate, I'm a 3rd year MD/MPH student at NYMC, I'm sorry that "regret" is so mad about this, but I don't think this is the worst thing in the world for NYMC, and I even think it may turn out for the best in the long run

As it is right now NYMC is kind of a small-fry med school in a lake with some pretty big fish (Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU etc), it is hard for our hospitals to maintain solvency when Cornell and Columbia etc have the resources of their Ivy league institutions to pour into their hospitals.

Touro gives us access to the kind of resources that these other med schools have, and that is very important to the long term success of NYMC, esp. in this new great depression thats starting to happen

NYMC is and will continue to be a great school, change is never easy, but I don't think this will run us into the ground or make us a less competitive school, and despite Touro's one isolated legal problem with a few people illegally selling degrees in July of 2007 (almost 2 yrs ago btw), it is a very successful institution and has the resources to develop NYMC in ways that NYMC could not afford to do as a stand alone school

Regret, that's a little overdramatic, wouldn't you say? I doubt major changes could occur any time soon. After all, it's NYMC - not Touro - that is accredited by the LCME.

Im a 3rd year at NYMC and I can honestly tell you that I wouldnt come back here. This place has absolutely no respect for their students, the support staff acts like you are putting them out anytime you ask for something, and you have very little nationwide recognition when applying to residency.
I get that some of you may not have other options and if thats the case then by all means pursue your dreams of the fabulous wealth and prestige of medicine ( I kid I kid)...but seriously, if you have another option I would take it. I think regret has it pretty spot on and he/she has yet to see the difficulties with clinical years. 10 different hospitals at which to rotate sounds on the surface like a good thing, but consider getting syuck in crappy westchester county for your 3rd year when your friends are in the city...or getting sent to Danbury, CT...or now dirty Jersey...it doesnt really come down to you choosing where you want to be. Rather, its a simple lottery and you will end up at sites you don't want to be.
Lastly, all of the residents you encounter and work with/learn from and foreign med grads. Im not knocking FMGs (many of them are extremely capable and maybe more experienced than US grads), but the fact is they are in a sub-par program and a program that cant recruit US grads. Take it FWIW...I just wish I had this perspective before deciding.

Hi guys --

I was actually rejected from NYMC, but this story has piqued my interest (which is why I'm on this thread). For those of you who are current students, did no one know about this transition? It seems like it's taken people by surprise.

Thanks,
v-girl

OK guys, maybe I'm just a naive MS1, but I feel like there's some overreaction going on, probably due in part to a visceral reaction to Touro's rep and also the way we all found out.

I was at the meeting last night and wanted to pass along what we were told.
1. This deal is NOT final. It is no further along than the Fordham or St. John's deals, with the latter making it all the way to the final step of the process before falling through.
2. The reason we found out this way (from newspapers and rumor spreading around) was because of a leak to the media from Touro's people, not NYMC's.

Now for why I think people should relax a little bit. I, like all of you, would rather associate with a school with a stronger name. However, I think what is comforting about this deal is that we seem only to be adding to the school in that we are getting hospitals, money, and housing and libraries in Manhattan. The vast majority of med schools these days run a deficit in terms of operational costs. The difference is that other med schools have associated undergrad institutions with large endowments to keep everything afloat, whereas we don't. That is the point of finding someone to merge with.

I feel like the student body rightfully feels betrayed because of the way we found out, and that has resulted in frustration. However, so far nothing has changed compared to the way things were like 2 weeks ago when we were all thinking of NYMC as a place without a big-name research reputation, but where we could get great boards preparation (avg. Step 1 = 226 I believe) and clinical training. We may not have a big name, but we still have a great match list. Will that really change?

As for complaints about hospitals being spread out all over the place. Sure, that sucks, but my feeling is we all deal with it. I don't know for sure, but I bet there are other schools that have a similar set-up. As far as the administration, I haven't had a lot of contact with them, but so far they've been nice to me.

My feeling is that people are reacting badly out of a concern for what will happen to our reputation, and that's legitimate. Maybe it will take a hit with the lay public, but I bet the lay public doesn't know that Pitt and Case are excellent med schools. Most laypeople probably think only Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and any school with a good football/bball team have good reputations. I imagine residency program directors will see that this is still the same NYMC except now more financially stable and with some new hospitals. And once we move on from here, it'll be the reputations of our residency programs that carry more weight anyway.

And for all we know, this deal may fall through too. Again, the St. John's deal made it to the last step before it fell through. Apparently, med schools are kind of expensive or something.

I think it maybe is naive to think that Touro is going to financially rescue NYMC only by infusing money.

Touro is a not-for-profit, but that's just a tax status. It doesn't mean they don't care about the bottom line. They do! There is no way they would invest beaucoup $$ in a school that is just going to be a financial drain. They want to/need to make money. How will they do it? They will come in and cut costs. If Touro takes over, you can expect layoffs, salary cuts, and tuition hikes. Who knows, it may be the only way to save the ailing institution. But let's not fantasize that Touro will altruistically pony up a bunch of cash.

Talk to any students at the Touro schools or read their SDN posts and they will largely tell you that they are abused by their administration. Not the run-of-the-mill abuse that all students complain of, but weird, over-the-top stuff. Makes the stuff at NYMC look like kid's games. Note that NYMC has already been on the receiving end of some of this abuse - by the breach of confidentiality - and they're not even affiliated yet!

If Touro gets a stake in NYMC, they will try to turn it into a profitable institution. Not "for-profit," but profitable. To do that, they will make changes that will probably be uncomfortable for everyone there. If NYMC could avoid it, they probably would, and they probably should. But if the alternative is bankruptcy, what should they do?

Last edited:
This is going to be my last post on this thread because it is getting out of hand. As I said I'm a 4th year at NYMC in senate so I will share the info I have been told.

1.) as was said above, NYMC is in the due dilligence phase of a POSSIBLE merger with touro. However, this stage was reached with multiple other institutions, and did not work out. As a result this possible merger is not final. The only reason this is gaining such press is because TOURO leaked the information. No one knows for sure what is going to happen, but I've heard the board of trustees is split on their views.

2.) to the students at NYMC who posted above about NYMC not informing there students: Were you at the meeting last night? What part of TOURO breaching a confidentiality agreement did you not understand? The rumors and rash reactions are part of the reason students were not informed earlier because this merger might not occur.

3.) it is obvious that a lot of students (myself included) are not happy. However, you have to realize that medicine, now is unfortunately a business and you need to do what is necessary to stay a float. Many other schools have recently faced money issues or are currently facing money issues (Hannheman/drexel, RWJ/rutgers, Uchicago, Miami, UCLA childrens hospital), don't be unrealistic with your expectations.

If this thread had background music, it would be "The Imperial March"

You don't know the POWER of Touro College - join me and I will complete your medical training!

NYMC, I am your founder. (NNNOOOOO!!!!!)

I mean c'mon, you have to have a sense of humor over this. As a Jew, I find the idea of our Catholic college being taken over by a Jewish university terribly ironic.

Next winter, maybe they'll replace the big Christmas tree with an oversized menorah, and put a mini tree where the little menorah used to be.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you're an accepted applicant out there and NYMC was your dream school by all means, come here. I'm not standing in your way.

Saying the reason we feel betrayed is because of the way we found out is incorrect. The reason we feel betrayed is because of the fact that our medical school is even contemplating this partnership in the first place. The lack of transparency is just the icing on the cake. Hell, I'm glad Touro College broke the confidentiality agreement and leaked to the newspaper. If they hadn't we would found out through an email after the fact that said "Hey by the way guys we are now affiliated and partially owned by Touro! Fantastic!"

Rumors have gone on in the past about a merger with St. Johns. No one got upset over that institution because unlike Touro, they weren't previously a diploma mill. And yes, there are many other medical schools out there that are struggling financially, but no other allopathic or osteopathic (besides Touro's own DO school) has sold themselves out to such a disreputable institution. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And to say that Touro has had only one, isolated scandal is disingenuous. A simple google search proves otherwise.

And I will acknowledge that yeah, there is a chance NYMC could benefit from a relationship with Touro and not suffer a significant decrease in reputation. The issue is the possible consequences have now been placed on the students, without any consent on our part or the part of the low-level administrators. Our reputations will suffer too if NYMC-Touro tanks. If Touro damages their own standing further (though seriously, how much lower can it go?) they can still find ways to make money. NYMC could probably continue to find undegraduates for their medical school.

But the students who have graduated? We are the medical professionals bearing part of the risk for this little experiment though we have done nothing wrong. No, we have all worked our behinds off here. And yes, the changes will most likely come after the current classes have graduated. But the college's future actions influence perceptions about our medical education. I would not want a medical degree on my wall from a medical school that lost accreditation, even if I graduated 10 years ago.

Some students at this school are drinkin' the koolaid and that's fine, that's there opinion. They may be comfortable with risking their academic credentials for the potential benefits, but I personally, am not. Neither are the majority students I have spoken to.

But the posters above, are correct in saying that this is not yet a done deal. I'm saying this deal shouldn't even be on the table in the first place. We shouldn't even be IN negotiations with these people.

However, I think what is comforting about this deal is that we seem only to be adding to the school in that we are getting hospitals, money, and housing and libraries in Manhattan.
As for complaints about hospitals being spread out all over the place. Sure, that sucks, but my feeling is we all deal with it. I don't know for sure, but I bet there are other schools that have a similar set-up. As far as the administration, I haven't had a lot of contact with them, but so far they've been nice to me.

Well Touro isn't a guarantee for clerkship spots in NYC. Right now Touro-Harlem is locked out of spots in NYC due to a 10 year, 10 million dollar (per year) contract that New York City's Health and Hospitals Corporation signed with a Carribean school. Now this deal has been deemed shady and may fall through, but who knows how long it'll be. This isn't Touro's fault, but things aren't as jolly as they seem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/nyregion/05grenada.html

Besides, unless you are singing along to Dire Straits, there is no such thing as money for nothing.

I know it's not a done deal, but I do feel that the students should have been better informed a while ago (not who we were partnering with.. I get that). As first year, I only received an email a couple weeks ago from the dean (after the rumors were already spreading) to inform me that we were looking for such a deal. It would have decreased the hysteria and made the students feel more incorporated with the admin. I've got a heck of a lot of student loans riding on my education (as I'm sure many NYMCer's do), so we're all pretty invested in the outcome.

Last edited:
Actually, I meant that we are getting housing/libraries in Manhattan, hospitals (not in Manhattan), and money, not that we are getting housing/libraries/hospitals in Manhattan and money. Hopefully that made sense but if not I'll clarify - I know the hospitals mentioned are in NJ.

Also, I'm not singing along to Dire Straits (not sure what that expression means), but I think it's possible that Touro would want to pay money for NYMC and then not do all the terrible things people are worried about. If they're trying to become more legit, maybe it would be smart of them to leave NYMC alone and let it pull the rest of Touro up to its level instead of Touro-izing (ominously, that word sounds like "terrorizing") it and dragging it down to the rest of Touro's level. But I guess it's tough for us to say, with there being so much info we're not privy to. Like most, I'm wary of taking the chance. Which brings me to my last point...

...I'm not defending the deal. I, like almost all of the students it seems, do not want it to happen. I'm just saying that I think a lot of the hysteria is due to Touro's bad rep and the way we found out. If we were talking about a more reputable school there would probably be a lot less commotion, even if they still did it with this little transparency. Anyways, I'm hoping for the best, whatever that may be.

Dude, I was not insinuating that DO schools are inferior to MD schools I was stating my opinion that Touro institutions are inferior to other schools because they fail to live up to a level of honor and integrity that one would expect from any academic institution. But you can go ahead and feel like a victimized osteopath if you'd like.

My point was that the DO view of medicine is different than allopathic. That is, DO schools place a lot more emphasis on taking a holistic approach among other differences. Call me traditional, but I prefer the allopathic view, which is why I applied to allopathic schools in the first place. With that said I doubt there would be as much fuss if the school we were negotiating with was NYCOM or PCOM. They are schools with a reputation for good academics...and an absence of scandals.

My questions were posed in order to have people consider how a merger may affect the curriculum style or the "feel" of the school and about Touro students taking NYC clerkship rotation spots (which are already inadequate in number) from NYMC students.

As for the quality of Touro-NY administration one of your classmates has given it some less-than-favorable reviews.

"I would say the bigger problem is the administration, which is completely out of touch with the student body's needs or concerns. Our dean is a total egomaniac who loves to come into class and threaten us."

" I hate dealing with the administration. I don't work well when I'm threatened, yet that they love to rule the school with sticks instead of carrots. I definitely don't get the feeling that they're here for us -- it feels more like they're here to run a business." (emphasis mine)

You can go here to view the full comment: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582199

I suppose it's not surprising that this student feels like the focus is on money and not students. Touro did after all apply the burger franchise model to medical schools.

As a student at one of Touro's apparent "lesser quality D.O schools" :rolleyes: I found this pretty interesting. I'm not too sure as to how this will turn out but I will tell you that besides following a few Jewish customs we operate pretty damn autonomously of New York. I highly doubt this will be the death sentence you offer in your post, it seems more like a funding issue. Furthermore the Touro name hasn't locked our grads out of Johns Hopkins or the Cleveland Clinic. But I can understand your consternation coming from an MD school thats been around for a long time. Don't worry I highly doubt you all will be forced to become primary care country doctors. That being said the Touro admin isn't one of the better ones , but perhaps it is the same sort of problem most medical schools seem to have.

this thread has been Hijacked!

I just want to get back to the point of this thread, which is for new/prospective NYMC students:

Despite what was said earlier, I nor anyone else I know had any difficulty getting our rotations in NYC if we wanted them there

Yes you might have to wheel and deal a little, and yes it relies partially on a lottery, and yes you might end up with 1 or 2 rotations in a less than ideal place, but in general I think people are very happy with where they got their rotations, myself included

NYMC is a great school and will continue to be, rotating in NYC 3rd year at St. Vincents and Met has been a blast

Your post is clearly taking this thread off topic into a personal level and I would be happy to continue this discussion over private message and spare everyone else your weird inferiority complex / an escalating battle of egos. My original intent was to give accepted applicants an opposing view about the NYMC-Touro merger so they could make an informed decision about whether to matriculate here or not. That part is done.

I'm sorry I think I misquoted you as saying something along the lines of being associated with an inferior institution, I believe that was another of your classmates. And believe me I don't feel as if I am a victimized osteopath , I know what i'm personally capable of academically, and am realistic to the challenges that face DOs. All I am saying is that I do not believe it will be the death sentence you state. This does not really affect me in the least bit as our school is in Nevada and we don't even know anything about the D.O program in NY. Also take into account they are pissed off , but they are also the FIRST class at that school, of course everything will be haphazard. Yes there was an incident with grades and money, does it affect my medical degree or program? NO. As I said before we have had one graduating class, most of whom matched at allopathic university programs. I think that NYMC will probably still retain its reputation and curriculum. And by the way each Touro school seems to be responsible for securing its own spots. I am not allowed to use Touro-CA or Touro-NY sites for my rotations. From all of my friends who are at allopathic institutions from UCLA to even NYMC I can tell those who are a bit insecure to those who are confident. The ones who are insecure are the ones who have talked down on 'lesser' medical schools or even when we were in college, lesser colleges. The ones who are confident in their own abilities don't tend to stereotype. I don't know too much about NYMC and neither do you about Touro , other than what you have seen in the news. We certainly are not allowed to 'buy' our grades.

this thread has been Hijacked!

I just want to get back to the point of this thread, which is for new/prospective NYMC students:

Yes sorry for the hijack of class of 2013. Despite what an earlier post said, I like being in Westchester County. Granted I grew up not far from here, so it's not a culture shock (there isn't much around campus that is in walking distance). I live off campus, bit closer to NYC and enjoy it quite a bit.

So we are retaining the name? I feel better then. As terrible as it sounds, that's important to me. I don't want our school to have a name that can be misconstrued for Touro's less competitive DO schools (although I interviewed at Touro-CA and it was pretty decent).

NYMC is a strong name with a longstanding reputation and I don't want to lose that.

BTW, if you're a DO student, don't bother responding to the above jab because they'll defend themselves by shifting the focus to your "DO inferiority complex" flaring up, or worse yet, accuse you of <gasp!> turning this into a DO vs MD flame thread.

Seriously. Damn those less-competitive degree-tarnishing DO's that chair and chaired departments at Mayo (Anesthiosology), Harvard Med (PM & R), or the ones that serve as trauma surgery attendings at Columbia, and heck, even those sneaky little ones that snag Yale residencies. Damn them all for tarnishing my NYMC degree!

"As terrible as it sounds, that's important to me."

I'll bet.

Way to feed the stereotype that arrogance will be a bread-and-butter component of your allo bedside manners. :idea:
No wonder the nurses always love you guys.

And no, you weren't just referring to Touro's reputation in your post. Do your homework and see how your reputation will be impacted by the time 2020 rolls around and <gasp!> those less competitive DO docs start representing exponentially.

Love,
The Degree Mill Kids

That's uncalled for. I'm glad that you have pride in osteopathic medicine. No doubt, it will have a huge impact on the future of medicine in this country. I very nearly went to Touro-CA, and as I said, it was a good school. But it's not my school. And it's not my degree.

BTW, if you're a DO student, don't bother responding to the above jab because they'll defend themselves by shifting the focus to your "DO inferiority complex" flaring up, or worse yet, accuse you of <gasp!> turning this into a DO vs MD flame thread.

Seriously. Damn those less-competitive degree-tarnishing DO's that chair and chaired departments at Mayo (Anesthiosology), Harvard Med (PM & R), or the ones that serve as trauma surgery attendings at Columbia, and heck, even those sneaky little ones that snag Yale residencies. Damn them all for tarnishing my NYMC degree!

"As terrible as it sounds, that's important to me."

I'll bet.

Way to feed the stereotype that arrogance will be a bread-and-butter component of your allo bedside manners. :idea:
No wonder the nurses always love you guys.

And no, you weren't just referring to Touro's reputation in your post. Do your homework and see how your reputation will be impacted by the time 2020 rolls around and <gasp!> those less competitive DO docs start representing exponentially.

Love,
The Degree Mill Kids

Look, med students do sometimes say dumb things about osteopathic education. But those are not the comments going on here.

What we're talking about is Touro University in New York. It is more than a DO school. It is a large institution with many programs. And it has a very mediocre reputation. I understand that the money-for-degree thing didn't happen at the DO school, but it happened at one of their programs in New York. And apart from that, students at the Touro DO schools in NY and CA have leveled some pretty strong criticism against the Touro administration (not so much with the Nevada school). Add to that the fact that popping out med schools left and right like a McDonalds franchise naturally makes some people skeptical. What I have heard DO students say is "work on quality of these programs, not cranking up the quantity."

Add all that up and then put yourself in the position of someone who signed up to go to "NYMC" but now will graduate from (yet another) Touro. Then you'll see this is not about MD vs DO, it's about Touro. And it's not about Touro students (I am sure they are very nice people, very capable). It's about Touro and its reputation in this community. Please try to understand that and don't take it so personally.

Quoting a long list of DO achievements (Mayo, Yale, etc) doesn't address this issue. And casting your aspersions and pushing the stereotypes you want to push doesn't add anything to this conversation. If anything, you've got to realize that it makes people more wary. I think you mean to help your community by coming to its defense since you perceive an attack, but your off-topic remarks don't help your cause, they hurt it.

Have any accepted students gotten their financial aid package, dual program (MD/MPH) information, etc. yet from NYMC? Also, to current students, how difficult is it to get accepted into the MPH program as an MD student. I'm afraid they may make admissions more difficult because they don't expect everyone can handle both the MD and MPH classes.

Kastle,

You're pretty much guaranteed acceptance into the MPH program. However, you will have to submit an official application to the School of Public Health (essay included). If you're already an accepted medical student, call up public health admissions for further instructions (there are a few extra steps). You will eventually meet with a public health advisers to map out a plan of action.

Personally, I think the MPH classes are easy - but they take up time - so I'm on the 5 year track. However, I know some 1st and 2nd year students taking as many as 3 MPH classes with med school. I think they're nuts. And when I told them that - they agreed!

Did I mention that public health classes are (generally) very interesting and fun? Even laid back? Yeah, I like them.

Have any accepted students gotten their financial aid package, dual program (MD/MPH) information, etc. yet from NYMC? Also, to current students, how difficult is it to get accepted into the MPH program as an MD student. I'm afraid they may make admissions more difficult because they don't expect everyone can handle both the MD and MPH classes.

I'm hoping to do it in 4 years and start the classes this summer. Do you feel it is manageable to take 4-5 classes in the summers and take 1-2 during each semester? Also, is there a lot of out of class time (i.e. homework, papers, etc.) attached to the MPH classes?

Ah, the summer before is a great idea. The MPH degree is around 14 classes, plus a practicum and "capstone". During the fall/spring, 4 classes is considered full time. Keep in mind, the summer term is only two months long, so it's going to run twice as fast. I believe summer registration starts May 8 and the term begins June 8.

Are 4 summer classes manageable? Probably, and I'm thinking of doing it myself. But I also don't want to run myself into the ground before starting another med school year. I will probably end up taking 2 this summer, but that's because I want a rest. I think your idea of what's manageable will recalibrate in medical school.

1-2 classes per semester is typical of an MD/MPH student. As far as workload - most classes have a midterm, a final, and some sort of project. Many "exams" are actually take home assignments. Some classes like epidemiology (core), economics (core), and financial administration (health policy) have some homework assignments. Other classes like organizational theory (health policy) expect discussion both in class and on the online forum - but have no exams. Alternatively, behavioral & social factors (core) is two exams and you're done, but you better know your damn textbook (the professor is a MD).

Each class meets once a week either from 4:30pm-7pm or 7pm-9:30pm. So in terms of classtime and upkeep it's not bad at all. But there is usually a lot of reading, discussion (depending on the class), and some of these projects go on for a while. The work is out of class, know what I mean? It's not like undergrad.

I'm hoping to do it in 4 years and start the classes this summer. Do you feel it is manageable to take 4-5 classes in the summers and take 1-2 during each semester? Also, is there a lot of out of class time (i.e. homework, papers, etc.) attached to the MPH classes?