NYMC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, I can offer a different prospective here for all of you.
I graduated from NYMC 11 years ago and now have an academic position in a large well known academic center in NYC. I also did residency at a highly desirable NYC program.
There is a lot of posturing on the residency interview trail about who went where from med school, but once you match, that's the end of that for the most part. When you are out and about in the world, yes, it is nice to have Harvard med on your CV, but if it says CHOP for residency, well, that's going to count a lot. I now interview med students for peds residencies, and the school you come from is not nearly as important as what you did while you were there. Did you sit on your butt all through Columbia? Then I support you less than the woman who founded a free clinic and published, but maybe went to SUNY Downstate or a "lesser" NY program.

The grumbling about the put out admin and about being stuck in Westchester made me lol. The admin apparently hasn't changed at all (although they are a LOT nicer when they ask you for money as an alum:)). And you don't HAVE to live in Westchester, you know. Even if the lottery isn't perfect, it wasn't all that hard to craft your schedule to get a pretty decent one for a particular person. I did not one single rotation outside of NYC.

I don't know anyone in my class who feels the NYMC name held them back, even when competing for NYC spots. My class was 50% from CA, so most of the West coast knew of it. The mid west thinks you're from NYU, of course. I would be upset if Touro does take over while I was attending, but really, med school is what you make if it. I don't think my diploma is any less worthy even if NYMC ceased to exist.

Hope all you class of 2009 folks are happy with your match. Noone from NYMC matched here this year, but that's pretty unusual, actually, there is usually one every year of two..

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Adler (president and CEO of NYMC) sent out a letter last night responding to questions on the NYMC-Touro merger.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Guess that means I won't be getting one? :( I didn't expect it, of course, but it would be nice.

When you withdraw maybe you can convince them to give it to me. ;)

I will definitely let them know! And don't despair, I think scholarships are "rolling" as much as acceptances are. They're definitely not all sent at once.

That's awesome, LET! Did they make you a good offer?

They did! I'm totally honored. However, I still received a better offer at Vandy, so I don't think I'll be matriculating at NYMC. I hope the money they were going to give me will be given to someone who really needs it and wants to go there. It's such a great place!

They did! I'm totally honored. However, I still received a better offer at Vandy, so I don't think I'll be matriculating at NYMC. I hope the money they were going to give me will be given to someone who really needs it and wants to go there. It's such a great place!

I hear ya. Nothing beats a full ride from Vandy. Congrats btw!

Have any accepted students gotten their financial aid package, dual program (MD/MPH) information, etc. yet from NYMC? Also, to current students, how difficult is it to get accepted into the MPH program as an MD student. I'm afraid they may make admissions more difficult because they don't expect everyone can handle both the MD and MPH classes.

I am in the MD/MPH program. It has its ups and downs. More downs than ups, but maybe that's because I'm in the middle of it. Anway, you'll definitely get accepted by the MPH program if you're in the med school. Whether or not you should attempt this is another matter

PM if you have questions! If you're serious about an MPH I'd recommend coming to NYMC and focusing on your MD, then do a year program at a real public health school like Columbia. NYMC's SPH is pretty substandard

As with anything, there will be differences in opinion. The public health program certainly is not ivy caliber. There is a lack of testing, as I mentioned earlier. However, you learn what you put into it and get a degree from an accredited program at a huge cost (and time) reduction. You will be better off than at some med schools that offer an MPH but don't actually have a school of public health. In my opinion, anyway.

I am in the MD/MPH program. It has its ups and downs. More downs than ups, but maybe that's because I'm in the middle of it. Anway, you'll definitely get accepted by the MPH program if you're in the med school. Whether or not you should attempt this is another matter

PM if you have questions! If you're serious about an MPH I'd recommend coming to NYMC and focusing on your MD, then do a year program at a real public health school like Columbia. NYMC's SPH is pretty substandard

Hey, in regards to the accetance info sent in the mail..do we have two weeks to say "Yes, Definitely!" or is that just two weeks to put down a deposit (with potential of withdrawing if accepted elsewhere)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
do any of the current med students or someone who's already chosen a lender have any input on who to go with? i'm doing my best to research different lenders but it's pretty overwhelming.. any tips on the process are definitely welcome!

Anyone have an idea of how well NYMC responds to letters of intent? Just wondering...

Anyone have an idea of how well NYMC responds to letters of intent? Just wondering...

It worked out well for me. I got my waitlist card on June 1 (April 17 interview). I sent it back immediately via FedEx along with a letter of intent. One week later I got an acceptance email.

I think it made an impression.

Hey!
I'm a current NYMC student. Just wanted to respond to the loan question because I was pretty overwhelmed on that one. Turns out we only have three choices this year due to the banking crisis (only three banks offer educational loans for med students turns out) and ultimately they all offer you the exact same thing (you used to be able to get fancy reductions in interest with certain types of payback). The NYMC financial aid site is really helpful.

Congrats to all of you who have received your acceptances whereever they may be. I am very happy I chose NYMC. It's a great community and an excellent education. The professors are very helpful, and if this years graduating class is any indication we match well.

For those of you still waiting, hang in there! It's still early in many ways. Acceptances can come pretty darn late and they do indeed come after waitlists.

All the best

With the loan thing, I went with Bank of America, only because I do my banking with them and they offered to waive some fee. As the previous poster said, given the current climate, I think the loans are all pretty much the same.

Anyone have any information on the commute from NYC to NYMC? I will be living in the Upper West Side next year and am wondering about the best way to get to campus.

Anyone have any information on the commute from NYC to NYMC? I will be living in the Upper West Side next year and am wondering about the best way to get to campus.

The Deegan to the Sprain. The Vahalla train station isn't really close to campus, so car is definitely needed. I commuted from Queens until last month.. the commute, tolls, and gas just got to be too much for me. Upper West might be easier though.

I RSVP'd yesterday, and plan to be there so far.

From UWS just get on the west side hw/hudson highway and head on up, staying straight on it into westchester it turns into saw mill, exit 23 is like 3 minutes from campus

its a $2.75 toll, less with ezpass, but it saves you 30 minutes-1.5 hrs of traffic on I-84/deegan plus the need to cross town

Hi I was also accepted, and love the school and the location and the curriculum and the residency Matches and the people. BUT is anyone else factoring in the merger with Touro College into their decision whether they attend or not?

I feel Touro College is not legit and I seriously don't want NYMC to merge with this school. Will this impact NYMC professors or teaching or anything?

OR should this not play into my decision process at all?

Thanks

-Concerned Applicant

Hi I was also accepted, and love the school and the location and the curriculum and the residency Matches and the people. BUT is anyone else factoring in the merger with Touro College into their decision whether they attend or not?

I feel Touro College is not legit and I seriously don't want NYMC to merge with this school. Will this impact NYMC professors or teaching or anything?

OR should this not play into my decision process at all?

Thanks

-Concerned Applicant

I'm not sure if most students can say for sure if/how the merger will affect us. That is even if it occurs. The student senate is working discuss concerns with the administration. Even if we don't merge with Touro, I think it may be inevitable that we join with someone. We are one of the few stand alone schools and it's pretty expensive to run a medical school without the support of an undergrad institution.

I'd say go to the second look and decide what's best for you.

Last edited:
does anybody know if a facebook group has been created for class of 2013?
trying to get an idea on who all is thinking about going.

also....
nymc or mcw?

I'd like to see a facebook group as well--but I haven't found one as of yet

If any applicants have specific questions about commuting to Westchester from the city, feel free to PM me. I lived (no car!) in NYC my second year and it can be done. Having said that, if you don't have a car you should probably have a serious reason for wanting to stay in the city: your commute will be around 1-1.5 hours each way.

Someone's already answered your question, Braden, but with a car it's incredibly easy. You will run into some evening traffic returning to the city, especially on Thursdays and Fridays, but it is definitely possible to do it and stay sane. Your commute will never be more than 45 minutes.

Now trying to street park that car in the city should be fun...

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us posted, gplex.

Just thought I'd share with everyone that I'll be seeing you at NYMC in August! I just got accepted this morning!

Just thought I'd share with everyone that I'll be seeing you at NYMC in August! I just got accepted this morning!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I have nothing to do with this thread but I saw you post in this thread from the main forum page and I had to check to see if you've gotten in or not. I'm glad your cycle is finally over, it must have been brutal.

congrats! you should start a "new york medical college class of 2013" facebook group since you know now. i would but still haven't decided yet!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I have nothing to do with this thread but I saw you post in this thread from the main forum page and I had to check to see if you've gotten in or not. I'm glad your cycle is finally over, it must have been brutal.

Absolutely brutal. I'm so glad I don't have to do it to myself a third time now. Someone likes me enough to make an honest doctor outta me :)

Absolutely brutal. I'm so glad I don't have to do it to myself a third time now. Someone likes me enough to make an honest doctor outta me :)

Congrats!...I was a reapplicant as well and was accepted a couple weeks ago...feels so great. I called the admissions office and apparently orientation starts August 4th.

Last edited:
just to let everyone know that there is now a "New York Medical College Class of 2013" facebook group!

Last edited:
Anyone's parents trying to come to second look? My mom really wants to see the school, but I dont want to be the kid who brings his mom to second look!

My parents are going to come just to see the campus and look around while I attend the info sessions! It makes sense that parents would be interested in seeing the place, it's not like I need them glued to my hip though:) I'm just getting them a "visitor" pass of some sort...

President Adler just gave a "town hall" style meeting with the students. Many points were discussed, and it was (in my view) positive news.

One important point for you guys: Dr. Adler promised it will be in the contract that the diploma WILL NOT CHANGE AT ALL for currently enrolled and accepted students of NYMC. After that, he said the name of the school will not change, although Touro may eventually be on the diploma in some form (he joked, "in ten point font"). I'll try to paraphrase as much as I can.

We will get Hackensack medical center. Touro-NJ will not happen. NYMC will likely have a second clinical campus there, but far off in the future. Touro may eventually bring their other health profession students here, like nursing (which we had a long, long time ago), speech language pathology (which we already have), and physician assistant programs. Dr. Adler said that NYMC is planned as the centerpiece of Touro's health sciences push and that they will be investing large sums of money to improve our biomedical research. He lamented that we purchased a building on campus for research a few years ago, but dont have the money to renovate it for real lab space. Touro will provide that kind of money to allow us "to grow."

Honestly, Dr. Adler seemed to indicate that NYMC could survive without Touro, that there was a "plan B" if things fall through. However, he said we were "standing still" as a medical school and needed a way to move forward. For instance, he called it a "failure" that we have to use other medical schools for standardized patient labs.

In my own opinion, he seemed very much on our side and went out of his way on our behalf. The board is still gathering information and will vote "yes" or "no" in the next few months.

And that's my report as a former college journalist. I hope you find this helpful and feel free to ask more about the meeting.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Our president's name is Dr. ADLER. I was saying Dr. AMLER, who is the dean of the School of Public Health (and also an MD).

Last edited:
President Adler just gave a "town hall" style meeting with the students. Many points were discussed, and it was (in my view) positive news.

One important point for you guys: Dr. Adler promised it will be in the contract that the diploma WILL NOT CHANGE AT ALL for currently enrolled and accepted students of NYMC. After that, he said the name of the school will not change, although Touro may eventually be on the diploma in some form (he joked, "in ten point font"). I'll try to paraphrase as much as I can.

We will get Hackensack medical center. Touro-NJ will not happen. NYMC will likely have a second clinical campus there, but far off in the future. Touro may eventually bring their other health profession students here, like nursing (which we had a long, long time ago), speech language pathology (which we already have), and physician assistant programs. Dr. Adler said that NYMC is planned as the centerpiece of Touro's health sciences push and that they will be investing large sums of money to improve our biomedical research. He lamented that we purchased a building on campus for research a few years ago, but dont have the money to renovate it for real lab space. Touro will provide that kind of money to allow us "to grow."

Honestly, Dr. Adler seemed to indicate that NYMC could survive without Touro, that there was a "plan B" if things fall through. However, he said we were "standing still" as a medical school and needed a way to move forward. For instance, he called it a "failure" that we have to use other medical schools for standardized patient labs.

In my own opinion, he seemed very much on our side and went out of his way on our behalf. The board is still gathering information and will vote "yes" or "no" in the next few months.

And that's my report as a former college journalist. I hope you find this helpful and feel free to ask more about the meeting.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Our president's name is Dr. ADLER. I was saying Dr. AMLER, who is the dean of the School of Public Health (and also an MD).

I really hope that's true: that all currently accepted students won't be associated in name with Touro...as glad as I am to be going here, I did not sign up to go to Touro and I sure as heck don't want to be directly associated with any negative things that may happen as a result of this "merger".

I understand the need for it, and I'm actually glad they're going to throw more money into research, but of all places? No offense to current Touro students but the name just doesn't bring rainbows and happy thoughts along with it in the academic world. Guess we'll see what definitely happens in the next few months.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Anyone know of off campus places to live?

Last edited:
Anyone know of off campus places to live?

You should get in touch with the classes of 2011 and 2012, which both have Facebook groups you could post to. The class of 2011 will be starting their third-year rotations and so many will be moving out of their off-campus apartments and into the city. A lot of the off-campus stuff gets informally passed down to other students because they advertise it to the NYMC community before the landlord really has time to start searching.

If you get your email address before orientation (can't remember when that happens), apartments are advertised all the time on the main listserv. That's probably not going to come through in time though.

More interesting news for those of you interested in dual degrees. They're shuffling around the School of Public Health. It will now be called:

The School of Health Sciences and Practice and Institute of Public Health
(with continuing CAPTE, CEPH, ASHA accreditation)

Not a bad idea, considering our DPT and SLP programs were in that school and have nothing to do with public health. Kind of a long name, though. Not something that fits easily on a mug or hoodie.

Off-campus housing (from the first year survival guide):

Many students arrived at school with their cars loaded with all of their personal belongings, and they were able to find housing within one day. The housing office will have a listing of off-campus housing residencies available, and the local Pennysaver lists rentals in the area of NYMC.

Several communities within 10 minutes of campus have reasonable housing ($600 -$1200/month). The highest prices are typically for studios and one-bedroom apartments. Often housing arrangements can be made in single-family homes. All rental prices assume single occupancy; I do not know of anyone who is sharing a room. Once again, a car is essential if you live off campus.

Tarrytown: A cute riverside community with many stores such as CVS, Tarrytown Gourmet-a gourmet grocer, bank/ATM, and restaurants-Horsefeathers (American), Santa Fe (Mexican), a great pizza place, Silver Tips (tea house), Lefterios (Greek), Coffee Labs, and E & E Gourmet (a top notch deli). Rent here is in the higher range and it is a pleasant ten-minute drive to school. Tarrytown also has a farmers market on Saturday mornings. [has a train station]

Elmsford: Slightly lower rent, but not a pleasant place to walk around. There are fast food restaurants and banks, but not much else of interest except maybe Ichi Riki, a decent Japanese restaurant. Five minutes from school down route 9A (beware of traffic and constant construction on this road).

Valhalla: A quaint residential area with a variety of restaurants. The Kensico Dam in Valhalla is a great place to roller blade, jog, throw a Frisbee, or just relax. About five minutes from school. [has a train station]

Pleasantville/Mt. Pleasant/Thornwood. Mostly residential with convenient grocery stores (Thornwood’s Shoprite and A&P), strip malls, and a variety of restaurants. Ten minutes from school (take the Sprain North to the Saw Mill Parkway and then the Marble Ave. exit) [north of campus, also has a train station]

White Plains: The biggest city in the area -The Westchester (exit 8E off 287 East) and the Galleria shopping malls are located in the city proper. A main train station is here, 10 minutes from school.

Any current students mind telling me how they manage not to have a heart attack when looking at the total for student loans? I'm working on it...

Were any of you also at second look? What did you guys think about the school, ppl, etc?