NYMC March Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattypez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I am a late march interview. If is it true everyone is hearing by may 15, then they probably should be at the beginning of March at least. Who knows.

At my interview it seemed as most, not all, interviewees had not yet had an acceptance and were hoping for NYMC to come through. It seems like this is the trend for a lot of the interviewees there during march/april. Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I only knew of 1 guy that had gotten in at the interview session on March 28th, 2007. It seemed like everyone else was in the same boat and were all hoping that NYMC would come through for them. So much hope from so many people, I just hope that they can accomidate us all.

Yeah I only knew of 1 guy that had gotten in at the interview session on March 28th, 2007. It seemed like everyone else was in the same boat and were all hoping that NYMC would come through for them. So much hope from so many people, I just hope that they can accomidate us all.
some1 that interviewed march28th already heard back? for real?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think he means that when he interviewed on march 28th, one of the people he interviewed with already had other acceptance(s), as the OP stated that people who interviewed with him had no other acceptances and are all waiting on NYMC..

i interviewed the 3rd week of march and i called today, they said they havent gotten to march yet.. but will get there soon. they said i could expect to hear within a few weeks. i hope few weeks is not longer than may 15th.. cuz im dying here as well...

well now, may 15th is right around the corner.. i think we'll find out afterward, but i could be wrong.

they will tell everyone by the 13th or 14th of May. They will not wait until afterwards b/c students will have to commit to other schools by the 15th.

Yeah during my interview they said that they would notify us by May 15th. I interviewed late march, but what about all the people from April. Wow they have a lot to do in the next two weeks.

they will tell everyone by the 13th or 14th of May. They will not wait until afterwards b/c students will have to commit to other schools by the 15th.

The school does not have to tell us by may 15th. I am awaiting a post interview decision from another school and I wont be hearing until June. NYMC did say we would hear by may 15, but since when do ad coms tell us the truth.

FYI, NYMC has definitely accepted people who interviewed as late as 2/26. So they should be hitting March very soon.

The reasons med schools including NYMC and Drexel accept many people at or right after May 15 is that like many private mid to low tier schools, they receive probably 50 withdrawals between May 11-May 20, when people decide to go to their state schools or a higher tier school. Typically these schools have to accept 2-3 times to fill in one space, that means they need to contact 100-150 people to offer them a place. Keep the spirit up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Priming this thread for tomorrow.

I really really hope i recieve some good news this week. Good luck everyone!! :luck:

I just called and the lady at the front desk told me March decisions were 2 weeks away.

so they're not sticking to the may 15 deadline?

She wasn't too specific in her response. Maybe you could call and prod her about that. Let us know what you uncover.

An ad com doesn't meet the deadline they tell us. What else is new in this world.

Because of the good match lists the last couple years, I have a feeling this year the school will have a higher yield. From reading these boards, I have noticed quite a few people that are choosing nymc over other acceptances. They probably have to wait past the may 15th deadlines to give more acceptances to avoid overaccepting. If the schools yield improved a lot this year, then march and april interviewees are in some trouble.

i just called them and asked specifically if we were going to find out by may 15 and she said no. she said it takes at least 8 weeks from your interview date to recieve a decision.

I just called and the lady at the front desk told me March decisions were 2 weeks away.

Did they mean all decisions for the entire month of March. Or just the first week of March?

Did they mean all decisions for the entire month of March. Or just the first week of March?

Assuming they go in order of interview dates, it seems March decisions will start in two weeks making it 12 week delta.

I know a girl from NYMC who interviewed in April last year and got in just a couple of days before May 15th. What happened this year and why is it taking so long? A much bigger applicant's pool or any other reasons?

I know a girl from NYMC who interviewed in April last year and got in just a couple of days before May 15th. What happened this year and why is it taking so long? A much bigger applicant's pool or any other reasons?

Read my post above. Their yield may have gone up, so not enough people have given up their acceptances yet. Maybe many peope will withdraw in the coming days, but they need to make sure they do not overaccept. I have hear they give out 600 acceptances in past years. Maybe that is too risky this year and have to play it day by day.

Read my post above. Their yield may have gone up, so not enough people have given up their acceptances yet. Maybe many peope will withdraw in the coming days, but they need to make sure they do not overaccept. I have hear they give out 600 acceptances in past years. Maybe that is too risky this year and have to play it day by day.

Actually, that may not be the reason. When I called in April after my March interview, they told me the adcom had taken a 2 week hiatus at some point and that had backed everything up. The delay probably pushed everything back.

I'm hesitant to conclude that the delay is do to a higher yield this year. The number of applicants to every med school in the US went up this year. From a quick glance at NYMC and withdraw threads it seems that a good number of people are withdrawing from NYMC.

Dunno if this helps, but I am an MS1 at NYMC and I interviewed on March 11 last year and got acceptance email on May 9th

i am more inclined to follow the 8 week advice rather than expect to hear back by the 15th..

They always have to push it back don't they? Med schools suck, its not fair they get to whip us around so much. If this were a real business customers would be so unhappy they'd just go somewhere else. Seriously I give med schools an F on timeliness.

Any news, March interviewees?

If you call the office at NYMC, they will tell you where you stand. Good luck to all of you waiting! There will a lot of waitlist movement starting May 16.

so I called and they said 8-12 weeks. I said that we were told we would hear by may 15th, and I was then given a lecture on how that is the date for deposits, etc. I am like no , we were told we would hear our decisions, etc. SHe was like you must have been confused. I just gave up then. Oh well.

so I called and they said 8-12 weeks. I said that we were told we would hear by may 15th, and I was then given a lecture on how that is the date for deposits, etc. I am like no , we were told we would hear our decisions, etc. SHe was like you must have been confused. I just gave up then. Oh well.

wtf! I think everyone was told that we will definitely hear back before May 15th, no matter when we're interviewed! 8-12 weeks?! That would put me into July!

You should ask to talk to Dean Sullivan - she was the one who told us that we'd hear by May 15th.

If you call the office at NYMC, they will tell you where you stand. Good luck to all of you waiting! There will a lot of waitlist movement starting May 16.

Do they rank the waitlist? If you haven't heard back in awhile what should you do? Thanks

i called the office and they wouldnt tell me where i stand. i interviewed late march. they said 8-12 weeks when i called but at the interview they said wed hear by may 15th..

Do they rank the waitlist? If you haven't heard back in awhile what should you do? Thanks

I don't know if they ranked the waitlist. Traditionally NYMC accept a lot of students off their waitlist between May 16 and July 15.

The school is actually a better school than its reputation. (Some med schools are opposite, they are worse than their reputation). Being on the east coast competing with Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, Columbia, Yale and Cornell make the school looks worse than it should be.

There's already a thread about nymc waitlist movement. But their are 2 months of people waiting on thier post interview decisions. I hope they at least go though everyone before they spots up to waitlisters.

Just to let you waitlister's know, last year they accepted 693 kids to fill up their class of 185. They're expecting about the same this year. If you're really interested in the school, write a letter to them, but be specific to this school. Genuine letters mean more then you'd ever imagine. Best of luck.

do you know how many people have been accepted up to this point?

i just started the waitlist thread so we can all see when people get off the waitlist...i assume NYMC will take people that they interviewed in March and April before the waitlist...i'm on the waitlist, so i'm really hoping there is some movement

I have no idea, all I know is there going to make another batch of acceptances soon, and there spots remaining for those kids.

Anyone heard anything today? I'm dyíng here!!!

march 1st interview and i still hadnt heard nothing

i called today and there was a recording saying that the office was closed until tomorrow..

i interviewed march 21

Will NYMC be emailing, calling, or sending a letter about their decision?

Will NYMC be emailing, calling, or sending a letter about their decision?

They sent emails for acceptances, snail mail for waitlists and rejections up to now.

does the status page change if a decision has been made ?

It will change when they've sent a letter. Also, Dr. Sullivan told us at our interview day that they send out acceptance e-mails before they change the status page, so you'll know way before hand if you were accepted.

So how does the status change and does it change in all the 3 possible decision cases?
Does anyone know if they are still reviewing those who interviewed in mid March?

i called today and there was a recording saying that the office was closed until tomorrow..

i interviewed march 21

I just called today, and the recording said they're closed from 3pm eastern until tomorrow morning. Do you think the adcom is meeting as we speak?