NYMC vs Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeerHelpsMeStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS for both. CT resident. Seemingly similar prestige/rank.

Pros for NYMC
-Match list, feels overall like a "better fit", has SLP masters program (girlfriend interested in), close to home (only 45 mins away from home - very important), on campus housing, close to Manhattan, connection with OB/GYN residency director here (not interested in that specialty currently)

Pros for Albany
-Association with AMC (I feel like I would literally see everything under the sun if I did rotations here. Also, huge plus that they have a residency training program for nearly every specialty -- currently thinking otolaryngology), smaller class size (better connection w/ students?),

Cons for NYMC:
-Part of Touro system. Not sure what the long term implications of this will be, but I have heard very negative things about this school and its colleges. Afraid of NYMC's name on my degree being "tainted" by the Touro association.
-Larger class size, meaning possible less connection with class as a whole
-Neither the orthopod nor Emergency med physicians I work with explicitly recommended it if I were given another option.

Cons for Albany:
-Not really much going on outside of Albany
-No on campus housing makes it more difficult to arrange (safety concerns as well, as during interview some students said there are bad parts near medical school)
-The "self select" exam attendance times. I don't like the idea of people walking into a lecture hall and breaking my concentration while I have already started testing.
-TBH seems a little outdated.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have anything to comment on NYMC regarding the effect having the association with Touro will have? If any? I'm sure it's not a massive deal, but it is definitely concerning.

I think it means that they were unable to support themselves. Could that be due to poor choices? Bad financial management? Who really knows, but it is concerning to commit such a huge amount of time and money into a school that doesn't seem to be standing very well on their own. The purchase also means that major changes could come depending on future outlook of Touro (possible merge with the DO school?). I mean the hypotheticals are endless. Just looking for other opinions so I appreciate your comment.

Not sure exactly what kind of negative stuff you've heard, but the negative stuff I've heard is generally related to the Touro-NY DO school and its lousy administration. That shouldn't really affect you.

If I was in your shoes, location would be a big factor for me. Albany...ehhh....or NYC. Gotham. The Big Apple. The city that never sleeps.

Reactions: 1 user