boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Anyone recently heard back from them? If so when did you interview?

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
They said to give them 8-12 weeks which is pretty long. Are you already in that range?

Reilly

Premed Hick
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
I had my app completed mid-december and received an email interview invite for mid-march a couple weeks ago (last week of january). My only one, so my fingers are crossed.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Hey I also am slated to interview mid-March. What are the odds of getting in interviewing at that point in the cycle? Is it considered late?

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
camisho said:
Hey I also am slated to interview mid-March. What are the odds of getting in interviewing at that point in the cycle? Is it considered late?
From what I understand, NYMC has alot of waitlist movement....so even if you don't get in you still stand a good chance to get in off of a waitlist....can anybody confirm this?

Good luck :luck:

-tx

OP
B

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
I interviewed dec 22, and no word, although im hoping quick, I just hit hte 7 week mark although they said it takes a dreaded 10-12 weeks.

whimmsy said:
Has anyone who interviewed in mid Dec heard back?

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
i interviewed on December 8 and I haven't heard back. I have been checking my status page daily and my status is still "This status will be updated once a final decision has been made"

bjackrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
I interviewed in November, and it took right about 10 weeks for them to send me a letter. On the plus side, it seems that for most people the online status page isn't updated until a week or two AFTER the letters are sent, so don't rely on it too much. Best of luck to y'all! :luck:

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
anyone know the # of apps, # interviewed, # accepted (or approximates) for this year and/or last? thanks.

docinthemaking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Medical Student
VPDcurt said:
anyone know the # of apps, # interviewed, # accepted (or approximates) for this year and/or last? thanks.
According to the US News 2005 Edition (data is from 2003 class):

6495 applied
1332 interviewed
785 accepted
189 enrolled

For 2004, 8824 applied according to the aamc website and I'm sure that number is even higher this year. My cousin who applied to med school in the mid 90s told me that when he applied, NYMC received about 20,000 applications :eek:

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
BUMP

9+ weeks now since I interviewed. Any early dec interviewers heard recently?

limbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
Reilly said:
I had my app completed mid-december and received an email interview invite for mid-march a couple weeks ago (last week of january). My only one, so my fingers are crossed.

good luck!!!!

limbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
one guy said that he got called for an interview at the end of january
so are they still calling/ emailing/mailing people for interviews? I submitted my application at the beginning of October and i havent heard anything. nothing. squat. anyone else in the situation?

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you have plenty of time to get an interview still - i think they send out invites until at least april. and, i think those who interviewed later still have just as a good a chance at getting in as anyone else. i remember from last year that people who interviewed in march and april still got acceptances without being waitlisted. best of luck.

edit: i'm pretty sure they e-mail all the interview invitations. also, i remember that towards the end of the spring/beginning of summer, they began to e-mail about acceptances in addition to just sending snail-mail decisions.

limbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
medstylee said:
you have plenty of time to get an interview still - i think they send out invites until at least april. and, i think those who interviewed later still have just as a good a chance at getting in as anyone else. i remember from last year that people who interviewed in march and april still got acceptances without being waitlisted. best of luck.

edit: i'm pretty sure they e-mail all the interview invitations. also, i remember that towards the end of the spring/beginning of summer, they began to e-mail about acceptances in addition to just sending snail-mail decisions.

well, if this is true, i thank you for letting me know. this whole process is really frustrating me and i am beginning to get pretty depressed. all that money, all that time, and no good news yet. thanks again and best of luck to you too!!!

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Why would any of you be actively seeking admission to a school that openly discriminates against a segment of its student population? Shame on all of you.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Unless of course that is because you're applying there just so you can reject their acceptance citing institutional bigotry in your response letter to the school. :D (that's what I would have done if I had had the forethought)

bbtbay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
Status
I interviewed Dec. 7 and haven't heard anything either. I'm expecting the full 12 week wait, which for me will be March 1....

berkeleykid

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I was complete in october, and in january they requested my fall 2004 semester grades. still no word!! anybody know if this is a good or bad thing? my bro goes to nYmc, anybody know if that helps? good luck to all.

Prag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Mateodaspy said:
Why would any of you be actively seeking admission to a school that openly discriminates against a segment of its student population? Shame on all of you.

Perhaps it is because some of us don't have a pool of schools to choose from (re: "You don't choose med school, but rather med school chooses you")...as well, if you are certain in your own values and morals, what does it matter what the administration of the school thinks? (ie., you will practice in the manner that you choose to practice--without discrimination)...and besides, you can't run away from discrimination but rather tackle it head on... :)

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Prag said:
Perhaps it is because some of us don't have a pool of schools to choose from (re: "You don't choose med school, but rather med school chooses you")...as well, if you are certain in your own values and morals, what does it matter what the administration of the school thinks? (ie., you will practice in the manner that you choose to practice--without discrimination)...and besides, you can't run away from discrimination but rather tackle it head on... :)
So does that mean you'd go to a school that didn't allow blacks to go there?

Prag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Mateodaspy said:

I wasn't aware of NYMC not admitting students based solely on race/gender/sexual orientation? Do you have information that would indicate otherwise?

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Prag said:
I wasn't aware of NYMC not admitting students based solely on race/gender/sexual orientation? Do you have information that would indicate otherwise?
Fine, would you go to a school that refused to allow a student group to meet that focused on "African American Health Issues"?

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
c'mon, get real man. you think everyone at nymc is trying to perpetuate this homophobic ideal? that's ridiculous. since you're throwing out all these hypotheticals... what is someone to do if he/she has been dying to go to medical school for years and he/she finally gets into one and it happens to be nymc? i noticed that you have had the privilege to gain interviews/acceptances at great schools. for someone who is trying to get other people to think more open-mindedly, maybe you should act a bit more considerately toward those of us who might not have much of a choice in terms of getting into medical school. of course i don't agree with the decisions of the nymc admin regarding the lgbt club, however, if it comes down to it, i simply can't and won't let that interfere with achieving my goal of attending medical school. try to think a little more realistically. best of luck.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
medstylee said:
c'mon, get real man. you think everyone at nymc is trying to perpetuate this homophobic ideal? that's ridiculous. since you're throwing out all these hypotheticals... what is someone to do if he/she has been dying to go to medical school for years and he/she finally gets into one and it happens to be nymc? i noticed that you have had the privilege to gain interviews/acceptances at great schools. for someone who is trying to get other people to think more open-mindedly, maybe you should act a bit more considerately toward those of us who might not have much of a choice in terms of getting into medical school. of course i don't agree with the decisions of the nymc admin regarding the lgbt club, however, if it comes down to it, i simply can't and won't let that interfere with achieving my goal of attending medical school. try to think a little more realistically. best of luck.
that's fine if nymc is the only school you get into... however, i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.

Prag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Mateodaspy said:
Fine, would you go to a school that refused to allow a student group to meet that focused on "African American Health Issues"?
That is not really the question at hand, now is it? I am openly gay and discussed my sexuality in my personal statement (personal choice)...the fact that NYMC granted me an interview and you are saying "shame on me" for accepting the interview invite--I say "shame on you" for not having more respect to those of us that may not be fortunate enough to have copious options as to what medical school to attend...

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
:confused: argg....yea.....so any news post-interview dec interviewers? has anyone call to find out? if not, i guess i'll volunteer.

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Mateodaspy said:
that's fine if nymc is the only school you get into... however, i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.
Always trying to be the victim. When does it end?

OP
B

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
two things: I called today (i interviewed December 22nd) and he said I should hear within 3-4 weeks.

2nd: Mateodaspy, what are you saying is stupid. Going to a school does not mean you agree with everything it says. Everyone has their own beliefs and you should respect that to, because as a dr you will have to even if you dont agree with them. Many bad things go on at lots of places, does that mean you shouldnt go anywhere?

dankev

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 1, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
Mateodaspy said:
i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.
Don't think for a second that the students support this. Believe me, we are fighting, and changes will be made.

patrickstarfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
los angeles
Status
sdnstud said:
:confused: argg....yea.....so any news post-interview dec interviewers? has anyone call to find out? if not, i guess i'll volunteer.
I interviewed 12/1 or so and got accepted 2/17. Yip, almost the 12 weeks.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thanks patrickstarfish for the info. I interviewed 12/8, one week after you did so i guess i should expect to hear soon. BTW...did your online status page reflect your current status?

patrickstarfish said:
I interviewed 12/1 or so and got accepted 2/17. Yip, almost the 12 weeks.

OP
B

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Any recent word from NYMC? If so when did you interview

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Mateodaspy said:
haha...worst argument ever. quit your whining already. it gets so old after a while.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
I interviewed second week of december and received my rejection today. I wrote more about it in another thread.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
i think this is stupid, but nymc only allows accepted students to log into the school's financial aid application. the link is http://www.nymc.edu/studentlife/finplan/index7.htm

To log in, you need a 9-digit number (so i'd guess it is your social security number) and your birthday.

If I were accepted, I should be able to log into the system now since I'm waiting for a decision to arrive via snail mail. Well...my account has not be activated, so I guess I've been either waitlisted or rejected :(

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Mateodaspy said:
Not to stur the pot, but can someone who knows more about NYMC explain exactly what the "homosexual agenda" is? This is in regards to the resoning the school has supplied as to why they would not allow the student group to remain on campus. I've been trying to find a logical anwer, but to no avail...Thanks.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
sdnstud said:
BUMP

9+ weeks now since I interviewed. Any early dec interviewers heard recently?
interviewed early dec, heard a few weeks ago

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Mateodaspy said:
with all due respect i was not aware of any school refusing to allow any group to meet; i thought they were just not funding it which i presume is the right of any private institution. And if that does offend anyone then it is certainly their prerogative not to apply or accept admission.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
boyz of 4d said:
two things: I called today (i interviewed December 22nd) and he said I should hear within 3-4 weeks.

2nd: Mateodaspy, what are you saying is stupid. Going to a school does not mean you agree with everything it says. Everyone has their own beliefs and you should respect that to, because as a dr you will have to even if you dont agree with them. Many bad things go on at lots of places, does that mean you shouldnt go anywhere?
:thumbup: excellent point

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Sundarban1 said:
Not to stur the pot, but can someone who knows more about NYMC explain exactly what the "homosexual agenda" is? This is in regards to the resoning the school has supplied as to why they would not allow the student group to remain on campus. I've been trying to find a logical anwer, but to no avail...Thanks.
i have to say you have the most disgusting avatar ever. everytime i see it i :barf:

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Psycho Doctor said:
i have to say you have the most disgusting avatar ever. everytime i see it i :barf:
That reminds me..did you see last nights episode of The Simple Life when they interned in a plastic surgery clinic? I love that show :D You may have more in common with Paris Hilton than you think Try Zofran...Do you know anything about the "agenda?"..

dewzen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
got an interview today, anybody else? do they still have spots open?

limbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
dewzen said:
good luck. when is it scheduled for? how were you informed? email or snail mail?

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dewzen said:
i got one too. not gonna take it tho as im in at one of my top choices...hopefully this will open up a spot for someone else.

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
chitown82 said:
i got one too. not gonna take it tho as im in at one of my top choices...hopefully this will open up a spot for someone else.
cool - hopefully one of us will get it!! did you guys get these by e-mail this morning?? i'm dying here waiting to hear from them. best of luck.

LorinE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
medstylee said:
cool - hopefully one of us will get it!! did you guys get these by e-mail this morning?? i'm dying here waiting to hear from them. best of luck.
medstylee - I'm in the same boat as you... they requested my transcipt in jan. and still no word!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!