• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Nymc

About the Ads

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
  1. Attending Physician
    camisho said:
    Hey I also am slated to interview mid-March. What are the odds of getting in interviewing at that point in the cycle? Is it considered late?

From what I understand, NYMC has alot of waitlist movement....so even if you don't get in you still stand a good chance to get in off of a waitlist....can anybody confirm this?

Good luck :luck:

-tx

sdnstud

1K Member
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 29, 2003
      i interviewed on December 8 and I haven't heard back. I have been checking my status page daily and my status is still "This status will be updated once a final decision has been made"

docinthemaking

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Nov 2, 2004
      1. Medical Student
        VPDcurt said:
        anyone know the # of apps, # interviewed, # accepted (or approximates) for this year and/or last? thanks.

According to the US News 2005 Edition (data is from 2003 class):

6495 applied
        1332 interviewed
        785 accepted
        189 enrolled

For 2004, 8824 applied according to the aamc website and I'm sure that number is even higher this year. My cousin who applied to med school in the mid 90s told me that when he applied, NYMC received about 20,000 applications :eek:

About the Ads

limbo

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Feb 18, 2005
          one guy said that he got called for an interview at the end of january
          so are they still calling/ emailing/mailing people for interviews? I submitted my application at the beginning of October and i havent heard anything. nothing. squat. anyone else in the situation?

medstylee

1K Member
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 15, 2003
          www.mdapplicants.com
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            you have plenty of time to get an interview still - i think they send out invites until at least april. and, i think those who interviewed later still have just as a good a chance at getting in as anyone else. i remember from last year that people who interviewed in march and april still got acceptances without being waitlisted. best of luck.

edit: i'm pretty sure they e-mail all the interview invitations. also, i remember that towards the end of the spring/beginning of summer, they began to e-mail about acceptances in addition to just sending snail-mail decisions.

limbo

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 18, 2005
              medstylee said:
              you have plenty of time to get an interview still - i think they send out invites until at least april. and, i think those who interviewed later still have just as a good a chance at getting in as anyone else. i remember from last year that people who interviewed in march and april still got acceptances without being waitlisted. best of luck.

edit: i'm pretty sure they e-mail all the interview invitations. also, i remember that towards the end of the spring/beginning of summer, they began to e-mail about acceptances in addition to just sending snail-mail decisions.

well, if this is true, i thank you for letting me know. this whole process is really frustrating me and i am beginning to get pretty depressed. all that money, all that time, and no good news yet. thanks again and best of luck to you too!!!

berkeleykid

10+ Year Member
              Feb 16, 2005
                I was complete in october, and in january they requested my fall 2004 semester grades. still no word!! anybody know if this is a good or bad thing? my bro goes to nYmc, anybody know if that helps? good luck to all.

Prag

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Dec 1, 2004
                  Mateodaspy said:
                  Why would any of you be actively seeking admission to a school that openly discriminates against a segment of its student population? Shame on all of you.

Perhaps it is because some of us don't have a pool of schools to choose from (re: "You don't choose med school, but rather med school chooses you")...as well, if you are certain in your own values and morals, what does it matter what the administration of the school thinks? (ie., you will practice in the manner that you choose to practice--without discrimination)...and besides, you can't run away from discrimination but rather tackle it head on... :)

About the Ads

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Nov 12, 2004
                  Boston, MA
                    Prag said:
                    Perhaps it is because some of us don't have a pool of schools to choose from (re: "You don't choose med school, but rather med school chooses you")...as well, if you are certain in your own values and morals, what does it matter what the administration of the school thinks? (ie., you will practice in the manner that you choose to practice--without discrimination)...and besides, you can't run away from discrimination but rather tackle it head on... :)

So does that mean you'd go to a school that didn't allow blacks to go there?

medstylee

1K Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 15, 2003
                    www.mdapplicants.com
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      c'mon, get real man. you think everyone at nymc is trying to perpetuate this homophobic ideal? that's ridiculous. since you're throwing out all these hypotheticals... what is someone to do if he/she has been dying to go to medical school for years and he/she finally gets into one and it happens to be nymc? i noticed that you have had the privilege to gain interviews/acceptances at great schools. for someone who is trying to get other people to think more open-mindedly, maybe you should act a bit more considerately toward those of us who might not have much of a choice in terms of getting into medical school. of course i don't agree with the decisions of the nymc admin regarding the lgbt club, however, if it comes down to it, i simply can't and won't let that interfere with achieving my goal of attending medical school. try to think a little more realistically. best of luck.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
                      7+ Year Member
                      Nov 12, 2004
                      Boston, MA
                        medstylee said:
                        c'mon, get real man. you think everyone at nymc is trying to perpetuate this homophobic ideal? that's ridiculous. since you're throwing out all these hypotheticals... what is someone to do if he/she has been dying to go to medical school for years and he/she finally gets into one and it happens to be nymc? i noticed that you have had the privilege to gain interviews/acceptances at great schools. for someone who is trying to get other people to think more open-mindedly, maybe you should act a bit more considerately toward those of us who might not have much of a choice in terms of getting into medical school. of course i don't agree with the decisions of the nymc admin regarding the lgbt club, however, if it comes down to it, i simply can't and won't let that interfere with achieving my goal of attending medical school. try to think a little more realistically. best of luck.

that's fine if nymc is the only school you get into... however, i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.

Prag

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Dec 1, 2004
                          Mateodaspy said:
                          Fine, would you go to a school that refused to allow a student group to meet that focused on "African American Health Issues"?

That is not really the question at hand, now is it? I am openly gay and discussed my sexuality in my personal statement (personal choice)...the fact that NYMC granted me an interview and you are saying "shame on me" for accepting the interview invite--I say "shame on you" for not having more respect to those of us that may not be fortunate enough to have copious options as to what medical school to attend...

VPDcurt

2K Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Jul 20, 2004
                          1. Attending Physician
                            Mateodaspy said:
                            that's fine if nymc is the only school you get into... however, i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.

Always trying to be the victim. When does it end?

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
                            10+ Year Member
                            Feb 1, 2005
                              two things: I called today (i interviewed December 22nd) and he said I should hear within 3-4 weeks.

2nd: Mateodaspy, what are you saying is stupid. Going to a school does not mean you agree with everything it says. Everyone has their own beliefs and you should respect that to, because as a dr you will have to even if you dont agree with them. Many bad things go on at lots of places, does that mean you shouldnt go anywhere?

dankev

7+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              May 1, 2003
                              NY
                                Mateodaspy said:
                                i just hope that the tolerant students who do go there will take a stand against the discriminatory practices of the administration.
                                Don't think for a second that the students support this. Believe me, we are fighting, and changes will be made.

About the Ads

sdnstud

1K Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Jul 29, 2003
                                  Thanks patrickstarfish for the info. I interviewed 12/8, one week after you did so i guess i should expect to hear soon. BTW...did your online status page reflect your current status?

patrickstarfish said:
                                  I interviewed 12/1 or so and got accepted 2/17. Yip, almost the 12 weeks.

sdnstud

1K Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Jul 29, 2003
                                    i think this is stupid, but nymc only allows accepted students to log into the school's financial aid application. the link is http://www.nymc.edu/studentlife/finplan/index7.htm

To log in, you need a 9-digit number (so i'd guess it is your social security number) and your birthday.

If I were accepted, I should be able to log into the system now since I'm waiting for a decision to arrive via snail mail. Well...my account has not be activated, so I guess I've been either waitlisted or rejected :(

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Nov 10, 2004
                                    MA
                                    1. Medical Student
                                      Mateodaspy said:

Not to stur the pot, but can someone who knows more about NYMC explain exactly what the "homosexual agenda" is? This is in regards to the resoning the school has supplied as to why they would not allow the student group to remain on campus. I've been trying to find a logical anwer, but to no avail...Thanks.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Jun 27, 2004
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        Mateodaspy said:
                                        Fine, would you go to a school that refused to allow a student group to meet that focused on "African American Health Issues"?
                                        with all due respect i was not aware of any school refusing to allow any group to meet; i thought they were just not funding it which i presume is the right of any private institution. And if that does offend anyone then it is certainly their prerogative not to apply or accept admission.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Jun 27, 2004
                                        1. Medical Student
                                          boyz of 4d said:
                                          two things: I called today (i interviewed December 22nd) and he said I should hear within 3-4 weeks.

2nd: Mateodaspy, what are you saying is stupid. Going to a school does not mean you agree with everything it says. Everyone has their own beliefs and you should respect that to, because as a dr you will have to even if you dont agree with them. Many bad things go on at lots of places, does that mean you shouldnt go anywhere?
                                          :thumbup: excellent point

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Jun 27, 2004
                                          1. Medical Student
                                            Sundarban1 said:
                                            Not to stur the pot, but can someone who knows more about NYMC explain exactly what the "homosexual agenda" is? This is in regards to the resoning the school has supplied as to why they would not allow the student group to remain on campus. I've been trying to find a logical anwer, but to no avail...Thanks.
                                            i have to say you have the most disgusting avatar ever. everytime i see it i :barf:

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Nov 10, 2004
                                            MA
                                            1. Medical Student
                                              Psycho Doctor said:
                                              i have to say you have the most disgusting avatar ever. everytime i see it i :barf:

That reminds me..did you see last nights episode of The Simple Life when they interned in a plastic surgery clinic? I love that show :D You may have more in common with Paris Hilton than you think Try Zofran...Do you know anything about the "agenda?"..

LorinE

10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Feb 4, 2005
                                                medstylee said:
                                                cool - hopefully one of us will get it!! did you guys get these by e-mail this morning?? i'm dying here waiting to hear from them. best of luck.

medstylee - I'm in the same boat as you... they requested my transcipt in jan. and still no word!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

About the Ads
                                                This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                7. This thread is locked.