NYU admission for this fall

Started by krandhawa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krandhawa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just recieved a phone call and they told me to give them my decision by tom. I'm B.S in Computer Science and working with Informatica as Data Integration Consultant pulling around 65K. I'm confused right now..what should I do.
 
krandhawa said:
I just recieved a phone call and they told me to give them my decision by tom. I'm B.S in Computer Science and working with Informatica as Data Integration Consultant pulling around 65K. I'm confused right now..what should I do.

This definitely is a tough decision to make. I would be confused as well. However, remember why you applied to dental school. By now, you should have a clear reason as to why you want to become a dentist, or else you wouldn't have applied. So, if it were me, I would go to NYU because I would have already made my decision that dentistry is what I want to do with my career and the sooner I can go, the sooner I'll be out practicing. I'm sure your situation has many variables involved (age, married/kids, location, etc.) and we don't have the whole story, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Man, giving up 65K would be tough though... Unless, of course, I was not happy doing Data Integration work... then it would be real easy for me to give it up. If you do decide to go to NYU, you have to be able to get all your financial aid set up, get your medical shots, find a place to live, get your laptop, and get your PDA, all in a matter of weeks.

Good luck to you! 👍
 
I wrote this post on another thread:

If you work 240 days a year (48 weeks, 5 days a week. That gives you one month off a year), you should be making well over $100,000 a year as a dentist. Let's pretend that all you do is drill and fill. Just cavaties all day long. The only supplies you buy are for filling cavaties. That is all you do, you refer everything else out. You have one assistant, one front desk person, and one hygienist. That's all the employees you have. You are a small, small office. Your hygienist sees 5 patients a day. Let's say she sees 1 SRP and 4 Prophies and x-rays on 2 of the 4 patients. You see 10 patients a day, all with 1 filling. So you produce each day:

1 SRP: $150 a quad = $600
4 Prophies: $100 x 4 = $400
2 sets of x-rays: $50 x 2 = $100
8 fillings = $100 x 10 = $1000
Your office production = $2,100 a day, (240 x $2,100) $504,000 a year

Your overhead will be very, very small with three employees and two chairs. They say the average dental office is around 65% so we will go with that number, even though with only three employees (let's say you give them no benefits, a lot of practices don't) your overhead would only be about 45-50%. So, after you drill and fill all day long, you take home around 35% of what you produced. Let's say for arguments sake you only take home 25%. So, you take home at the end of the year around $126,000.

Also, if this was your practice, I would suggest you just fire your hygienist, train your assistant and fd person in both jobs and only have 2 employees and put the $50,000 you would have paid the hygienist back into your pocket and see their patients.

Moral of the story: If you can't make $100,000 a year in dentistry then you are a mouth-breathing knuckle dragger. That is reality.

Moral of the story for this thread: If you are worried about the money, go to dental school, try to keep your debt down and in 10-15 years you will be living way, way, way better doing dentistry than your current job. If you can't wait 10-15 years, then stay in your current job and get used to that income, because your ceiling is a lot lower than it would be in dentistry.
 
I agree with the replies of the this thread. However, just remember that NYU is one of the most expensive schools in the nation and you come out with huge debt to payoff. If you want to think about it, you might only take home around 70K after taxes and loans, which is still higher than your current income. But in Dentistry there is always the potential of making more and improving your income. It all depends on you and what do you want from this field.

I am currently a manufacturing intern at a biomedical company and I was offered around 60K a year for a full time position here..and the reality is that at the end I take home around 4K after taxes and etc. and if I work very hard..I might increase my income to highest of 80K a year. If you look at it financial wise, you would be making more money in long run in dentistry than engineering. But money only matters after you decide what you really like to do for the rest of your life..If you like your current job..sitting in cubicle in front of computer all day long so I suggest you to just continue but if you see yourself as a future dentist with a passion for the field, then pursue your dream of being a dentist.

Wish you luck on making your decision..