*********NYU Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is an electronic version . . . but getting one's hands on it is tricky. I have seen the printed list but don't have a copy myself. From memory (so basically take these numbers as +/- 1) we had 8 ophtho, 6 ortho, 4 neurosurgery, 2 rads-diag, 2 rad onc, 1 uro, and then a good mix of others (10 EM, hand full of anesthesia, some good IM matches, general surgery, etc). I think people basically got what they wanted (I haven't heard of anyone not matching into the specialty they wanted, take that FWIW).

Best of luck to everyone making decisions on where to go. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help answer.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone received financial aid info from NYU after submitting a FAFSA?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Same here. I heard "early april" should be when they arrive -- so any day now? I submitted my tax info in mid-march and my FAFSA has been processed since late Jan...

edit: dammit, your avatar makes me miss Wawa. Oh East Coast...

bump!

Yay, e-mail from NYU today. I was really excited, I thought classes would start earlier than August 20th! We actually get a whole summer, woohoo!

Hey. Congrats on getting into NYU. I will be starting my residency in Manhattan this July and was looking to share a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom with 1 or 2 other people (these are converted places with nice size rooms) Email me at [email protected] for more details about the areas and more information about myself. Take care.

anyone receive financial aid info yet?

anyone receive financial aid info yet?

All quiet on the western (Indiana) front. Of course, since NYU seems to like sending things to my home address instead of my school address, who knows when I'll get it...

yea, also waitin on tha financial aid info over here, anyone hear anything?

Keep in mind that if you live on a lower floor you're more likely to have problems with rats/insects. The middle floors are the way to go.

So the dorms have problems with rats and insects!!????!!!! Thats bad...

hey, gotta get a new lap top as a first year comin into nyu med, any suggestions?

Paging any current NYUers...When did you hear about financial aid for your first year? I am hesitant to email the Financial Aid lady again...But I'd like to know about the $$...

Members don't see this ad :)
Paging any current NYUers...When did you hear about financial aid for your first year? I am hesitant to email the Financial Aid lady again...But I'd like to know about the $$...

check out the c/o 2010 thread. the offers didn't blow anyone away (mostly loans).

check out the c/o 2010 thread. the offers didn't blow anyone away (mostly loans).

Ah, good idea. That's kind of depressing...I was only really considering NYU (I applied as backup since I did the SURP which pretty much gives you an acceptance) if I was given the big dollars, since I already have a $120k offer from UChicago and a waitlisting at Penn. Grr. Ah well...

I got an email today from the financial aid lady saying award letters would be mailed today, FYI.

So I received my financial aid package from NYU today and it was almost as bad as if I had gotten a rejection letter haha...That price tag is painful especially when living in one of the most expensive cities in the world..I might soon be withdrawing my acceptance..anyone else get their finaid today, if so good news/bad news??

So I received my financial aid package from NYU today and it was almost as bad as if I had gotten a rejection letter haha...That price tag is painful especially when living in one of the most expensive cities in the world..I might soon be withdrawing my acceptance..anyone else get their finaid today, if so good news/bad news??

Did you get the financial aid package by regular mail or email?

if anyone wants to share how much grant money they gave out, it would be appreciated. i'm waitlisted, and wanna figure out if nyu might be worth waiting for or courting with a loi.

Did you get the financial aid package by regular mail or email?

Regular mail to my home address down south which is strange because I have repeatedly told them to send stuff to my school address but oh well. Doctordetroit, for me it was all loans and a large majority were unsubsidized loans, no grant money for me :( ...

Regular mail to my home address down south which is strange because I have repeatedly told them to send stuff to my school address but oh well. Doctordetroit, for me it was all loans and a large majority were unsubsidized loans, no grant money for me :( ...

ooh. sorry.

stupid expensive med school, i didn't get mine today but now i'm scared for tomorrow :scared:. I got my finincial aid packages from my state schools today and they were less than stellar.

stupid expensive med school, i didn't get mine today but now i'm scared for tomorrow :scared:. I got my finincial aid packages from my state schools today and they were less than stellar.

Stupid expensive med school indeed. I didn't think that "average debt of graduation" would be so much lower than all the financial aid packages I've seen so far. Do THAT many people have parents who will put them through? I was lucky my parents dropped (well, borrowed) $80+k on my private liberal arts school education, they can't come up with another $250 grand. Nor do I expect them to...Sigh. High-paying speciality here I come!

One problem with the average medical student debt calculation is that it includes MSTP and MD/PhD students, who have little to no debt since it is all paid for by the govt. It also includes those staying in-state at public state schools and private institutions which have more scholarships/grants or who just have really low tuition costs (Mayo, Baylor, etc). I really don't think the average debt is so low because of people having their parents paying for it, but I could be wrong.

I really don't think the average debt is so low because of people having their parents paying for it, but I could be wrong.

I meant individual school debts, not the national average. And as far as I'm aware, MSTP students aren't calculated into the average because the number reported in MSAR includes only those students who went into debt. I suppose though if you took out a 5k loan as an MSTP from a private source, you'd be factored in.

Anyone else get financial aid packages? mine still didn't come and i live in NJ. i hope they didn't screw something up in the fin aid office...

Anyone else get financial aid packages? mine still didn't come and i live in NJ. i hope they didn't screw something up in the fin aid office...

No word as of today in IN/TX. Mail usually takes 4 days from NYC to me...

got it! $50,000 in loans, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Oh well, I guess I will just be very poor for a very long time. C'est la vie!

got it! $50,000 in loans, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Oh well, I guess I will just be very poor for a very long time. C'est la vie!

you must have some early mail deliverymen or you didn't post yesterday when you got it :p

yea, i got it, all loans, thas annoyin

Home or school address or is yours the same? NYU can't decide where the hell to send my materials -- I get about half at school and half at home.

Home or school address or is yours the same? NYU can't decide where the hell to send my materials -- I get about half at school and half at home.

home, and yes i posted about it a day late.

Just when I had decided to suck it up and take out lots of loans to go to NYU, UVA offers me a scholarship. I'm so confused now :confused:

home, and yes i posted about it a day late.

Just when I had decided to suck it up and take out lots of loans to go to NYU, UVA offers me a scholarship. I'm so confused now :confused:

Everyone I've met that interviewed at UVA loved it ... did you not? or are you a big-city kind of gal? I would follow the money, UVA is well regarded.

Financial aid arrived at my home address today. $20,000 grant/scholarship, $30-something in loans. A good offer but not as good as Pritzker for me...:(

got my offer, can't say I expected any better

I got my offer, and my mount sinai offer is better by 11K, now I have a serious dilemma. Anyone have any thoughts?

I know that we can't enroll in the honors program at NYU to do research before our first year, but is anyone planning on doing research there anyway the summer before we start? If you are can you let me know who I should contact or any other info that I should know. Thanks

forget mt. sinai, come have fun w/ us at nyu! yes yes

Withdrew yesterday -- financially wasn't a good decision and I like a few other schools better, if not the towns that they are in. Good luck everyone and have fun in wonderful NYC!!

why doesn't someone who's set on nyu start a c/o 2011 facebook group?

i agree with the facebook idea...also, I'm pretty sure that I will be attending NYU next year...however, i don't know whether to live in the dorms or in an apt...anyone have any suggestions?

yo, good idea w/ the face book group, i'm on it . . . 'nyu med 2011'

anyone receive anything (other than fin aid info) from nyu recently?

I just got in off the waitlist:) I'm not sure if I'm coming or not, but I'd like to talk to a current student so I can try to make my decision before D-day (the fifteenth). If there are any of you lurking, please let me know... There's no revisit, so it's tough to really get a feel for the school. Thanks!

has anyone received anything lately? thanks - just want to make sure im not missing anything.....

na, haven't heard anything . . . believe move in date is 16th of august is earliest date you're allowed, orientation is 20-24 and white coat is 24th