NYU College of Dentistry Practicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinnabon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those of you that attend/have attended NYUCD, I need some tips on the bench lab practicals for D1. I haven't been doing so hot even though I practice day and night. I was wondering-if I fail GDS do I have to repeat the whole year or can I just remediate in the summer? I'm doing really well in all my other classes but I'm struggling in lab. My hand skills are there for sure-- even my professors agree-- but nerves get the best of me and I make the tiniest mistake that causes me to fail.

P.S. please no mean posts I already feel like crap about myself. Thank you so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

For those of you that attend/have attended NYUCD, I need some tips on the bench lab practicals for D1. I haven't been doing so hot even though I practice day and night. I was wondering-if I fail GDS do I have to repeat the whole year or can I just remediate in the summer? I'm doing really well in all my other classes but I'm struggling in lab. My hand skills are there for sure-- even my professors agree-- but nerves get the best of me and I make the tiniest mistake that causes me to fail.

P.S. please no mean posts I already feel like crap about myself. Thank you so much :)
Keep practicing. Ask for help from upperclassmen, they will help you with techniques. Practicing is great, but you want to make sure you are practicing effectively. If you're doing well in classes and you have handskills you're golden. Refining techniques, practice, and confidence are key.
Also, make sure you keep your instruments sharp! It really helps with getting the walls and floors smooth, and the line angles sharp.
Keep up the good work, you got this :hello:

I know it is very stressful but don’t worry about it too much. You get second chance for practicals. Especially when you’re doing well on the lecture exams.

If you haven’t, try to get tutoring (ask dr buck and he should help you connect). I used to practice by myself and did horrible but getting help from classmates and d2 allowed me to do well on the practicals.
Right now I’m confident with the labs but I’m concerned about the didactic portion. So if someone can address the remediation (hopefully we won’t have to!) policy..

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is more important to have someone that did well on the practical to show you their technique. Also, grab an upperclassman to help you out.

i remember doing lab practicals and struggling in the beginning. When i went to school (omg, i'm that old by saying that), a group of us would have mock practicals doing MO on #30 and #19 on saturdays and sundays. Helped having other students critique your work. Just letting you know that doing a #15 MO is much more difficult in the pre-clinical work, same with bridge preps.

Yes, only "time off" during first year were friday nights. Spent many days/nights in 604 lab (Which i'm not sure still exists today) and even didn't watch any tv during D1 days.

Jim
NYUCD, class of 2004

What magnification are your loupes? I started to see a lot of my mistakes when I went from 2.5x to 4.5. I honestly think preclinical would have been a lot easier if it wasn't for the 2.5x maximum requirement.

Even considering now to go to 5.5 to be honest lol.