NYU first choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nydds25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at last year predents, most of the nyu attending only got into nyu.

My question is are there many students who choose NYU over multiple schools?

If money was not a factor, do you think a lot more people would choose NYU as their first choice? The schools seems excellent, and if you can get over the fact that professors wont know you.. the only negative is the price.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely go to NYU if tuition and living expense weren't ridiculously high. I don't wanna end up with $300k debt.

Money and class size. Other than that the school is great IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money was not a factor, do you think a lot more people would choose NYU as their first choice?

Yes. At least for me. I considered a military scholarship, and if I had decided to take it, than I prob would have had NYU as one of my top choices (along with Tufts & UoP). But I'm not, so money is a factor...

Money and class size. Other than that the school is great IMO.

Exactly. NYU is freaking amazing. I hate to see it when people get dissapointed because they only got into NYU. They should be thrilled because they have an excuse to go there, while the rest of us are forced to turn it down because of cost. I met a girl who turned down both of my state schools to go to NYU and she has never for a second regretted it. NYU is awesome, and they are not kidding when they say that they are one of, if not the, most influential dental school in America.

I agree! I think that's why we see many threads comparing other schools vs. NYU. It was a great school with excellent facilities. The only concern is the cost of living in new york! However, it is manageable. If I go to NYU, I plan to move to Jersey once we finish the courseworks and start the clinic, and I will commute by train! Anyway, it is a great school located in a great city, and it could have been a first choice if money was not a issue!

what's your proof?

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but based on what they present during the interview, tour, and website, they are in the news and newspaper more than any other dental school in the country. Perhaps because NYC is such a huge market and NYU is the largest school in that market, with the most money, and they like to throw their weight around? Either NYU is an extremely influential dental school, or they have one of the best propaganda/marketing teams in the country.

Looking at last year predents, most of the nyu attending only got into nyu.

I think that most people who got into any school only got into that school. I think having a choice between several acceptances is more rare than we are sometimes let to believe on SDN. or maybe I'm wrong..

I think that most people who got into any school only got into that school. I think having a choice between several acceptances is more rare than we are sometimes let to believe on SDN. or maybe I'm wrong..

i kinda wish i only got accepted to one school. trying to choose is harder than i thought..

something positive that sounds a like a generalization you pulled right out of your ass.

Touche.

No I don't really know myself either I just think people and not necessarily you but other people generalize too much on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Touche.

No I don't really know myself either I just think people and not necessarily you but other people generalize too much on this site.

True, people do. but when you're really really really bored, what's better than pretending you're an expert, making bold claims, and arguing with people? anonymously, of course. :laugh:

Here's another generalization: SDNers are better human beings, in every way, than non-SDNers. I dare someone to disagree with me. :)

True, people do. but when you're really really really bored, what's better than pretending you're an expert, making bold claims, and arguing with people? anonymously, of course. :laugh:

LOL im super bored at work so I am no this site all day, and there is nothing that makes the day go faster than a good discussion/argument preferably involving something I am familiar with. This thread is just begging to turn into some sort of angry yellingmatch over whether NYU is everyone's safety school. Personally I think that NYU is a safety school for most people and the only reason people re willing to pay that much for an ok education is because they have to and are a little desperate.

LOL im super bored at work so I am no this site all day, and there is nothing that makes the day go faster than a good discussion/argument preferably involving something I am familiar with. This thread is just begging to turn into some sort of angry yellingmatch over whether NYU is everyone's safety school. Personally I think that NYU is a safety school for most people and the only reason people re willing to pay that much for an ok education is because they have to and are a little desperate.

... speaking the truth.

Thanks for getting straight to the bottom line, Klutzy :cool:

NYU is a great school, and I think that it has a lot of merits that would make it not someone's 'safety school', at least not as often as compared to say BU... or Temple for out-of-staters.

NYU is a great school, and I think that it has a lot of merits that would make it not someone's 'safety school', at least not as often as compared to say BU... or Temple for out-of-staters.

Its best merit is the lunch it gives you on interview day. That was the best lunch from any school I have been to.

Personally I think that NYU is a safety school for most people and the only reason people re willing to pay that much for an ok education is because they have to and are a little desperate.

I am at NYU. I chose it over Stony Brook. SB was my safety school. Don't enjoy being out in middle-of-nowhere Long Island with a bunch of religious jews.

Would rather be here at NYU with more cultures than I knew existed, in NYC, the greatest city in the world.

And, going back to previous posts, there is no question NYU has a ton, if not the most influence of any dental school in the country.

I am at NYU. I chose it over Stony Brook. SB was my safety school. Don't enjoy being out in middle-of-nowhere Long Island with a bunch of religious jews.

I'm not sure that statement has ever been said on SDN. or anywhere. :eek:

klutzy, your thoughts? lol

That's why you folks should get off SDN and go into the real world.

Dental school is not 4 years gone from your life. Go to a place you will be able to live while studying, not a place to spend 4 years studying and that's all.

I think I would choose NYU over stony and buffalo. I would only weigh it against Columbia.. NYU's location is too good... the facilities are great... and there were so many attractive girls.

I happen to be in a situation where any school is affordable, and tuition does not serve as a deal breaker. Now don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to be in that position and would hope to be able to offer that to my children one day as well.

That's why you folks should get off SDN and go into the real world.

My bad. I didn't realize Stony Brook was considered a safety school in the real world, when it's not one on SDN. My mistake...

My bad. I didn't realize Stony Brook was considered a safety school in the real world, when it's not one on SDN. My mistake...

Good, it takes a real man to admit when he is wrong

I'm picking NYU over Meharry.

Would rather be here at NYU with more cultures than I knew existed, in NYC, the greatest city in the world.

And, going back to previous posts, there is no question NYU has a ton, if not the most influence of any dental school in the country.

with a 21 SB is your safety school lol

last I checked if your DAT score is below the AVG accepted score its not a wise move to make that school your "safety play"

just sayin

with a 21 SB is your safety school lol

last I checked if your DAT score is below the AVG accepted score its not a wise move to make that school your "safety play"

just sayin

I haven't been on SDN in years, so I don't know why my DAT is listed as is, that is not my score. However I was in the 98th percentile, which I beleive is above average.

In addition, SB, Buffalo, and a few other schools I got accepted into were indeed my safety schools, so relax buster.

Stony Brook is considered to be the Holy Grail of dental schools on SDN. In real life it is unknown to many and not considered holy by any sane person. The school is a solid dental school, like the majority of dental schools out there. SDN pre-dents have a perverse way of ranking dental schools where Stony Brook turns up to be #1.

As for the topic at hand, I would say NYU is the backup to many people only because of the cost. Nothing about the school as an institution, but few are capable or willing to pay those prices. People with money, people who don't realize or care how expensive it is, people who expect to make a ton of money after graduation, international students, and sole acceptance holders populate NYU.

Stony Brook is considered to be the Holy Grail of dental schools on SDN. In real life it is unknown to many and not considered holy by any sane person. The school is a solid dental school, like the majority of dental schools out there. SDN pre-dents have a perverse way of ranking dental schools where Stony Brook turns up to be #1.

As for the topic at hand, I would say NYU is the backup to many people only because of the cost. Nothing about the school as an institution, but few are capable or willing to pay those prices. People with money, people who don't realize or care how expensive it is, people who expect to make a ton of money after graduation, international students, and sole acceptance holders populate NYU.

Amen, lol.

You forgot scholarships. Some people go to NYU because they've been paid off.

Whatever. Pointless thread. SDN does NOT reflect the real world -- it only reflects the attitude of whatever pre-dent opinions are flying around on the threads THAT year. Don't mistake your collective opinions as fact. The year Z and I applied everyone was bashing on BU for being "too expensive" and "too big". Go where you want to go.

All the highly competitive NYU Med, Law, and Stern students pay more than they would have had they attended their local schools and most won't earn as much as the average dentist, but they chose to come to NYU and deal with that debt of New York City because they thought it was a good match. Z and I did the same.

Personally I dont care, I just think its silly to have a school that has the second highest admission standards in the country as your safety school. I too got accepted to NYU, Columbia, and Stonybrook. I didnt really even consider Columbia or NYU. Sure NYU has a very busy clinic, but you cant learn everything by practicing by yourself. Faculty working with the students is very important to learning proper technique. To have Stonybrook on your saftey list is kinda stupid, thats like having harvard or UCLA on your safety list. Your safety list is supposed to be schools that are easy to get into and Stony definitely isnt.

Sounds like someone is a racist also.

Isn't it amazing?!?! My dad is jewish and my mom is catholic, so clearly I can from a pretty accepting family... It amazes me that there are people out there who still think this way, in terms of religion or race, and would think it was appropriate to post it on a public forum.

I know I'll be out with friends of friends, people I barely know and they'd say something similar... maybe its so common place to speak like that with their friends and family that they dont think twice? Really, I can't imagine...

The reason why Stonybrook is considered so highly here on SDN, is because on the east coast it is very well known and extremely highly regarded both in the real world by program directors and in the online world. However, NYU is regarded by every program director in every school and residency program accross the country as crap. No program wants to accept an NYU student, and shadowing in two residency programs exposed me to the thought process of program directors of residency programs. I quote what one told me "I would never accept any NYU grad into my Peds program unless they graduated in the top 3-4 in their class. If you graduate top 3-4 in a class of 300+ then you will do well anywhere. Otherwise, NYU is a disgrace of a school, more intersted in making money then teaching students." Now thats a pediatric program. Ortho thought even less highly of NYU if thats possible. It seems like Penn was the concensus school that they liked the most. Yeah they liked all the good (highly regarded) schools Stonybrook and Columbia included, but NYU was the absolute bottom of the list.

Isn't it amazing?!?! My dad is jewish and my mom is catholic, so clearly I can from a pretty accepting family... It amazes me that there are people out there who still think this way, in terms of religion or race, and would think it was appropriate to post it on a public forum.

I know I'll be out with friends of friends, people I barely know and they'd say something similar... maybe its so common place to speak like that with their friends and family that they dont think twice? Really, I can't imagine...

Did I say something wrong, or are you referring to MrZ

You have got to be kidding me. Stony Brook is a safety school? Rofl dude get over yourself. I seriously doubt you even got in to SB. Please look up the word "safety" before posting on this thread.

I am certain anyone who got into Stony Brook and also applied for NYU also got into NYU as well. Hows that for some safety?

I'll paypal anyone $20 who proves me wrong.

Klutzy PM me when you see crap like this. Can't let people spit on our school and get away with it.

The reason why Stonybrook is considered so highly here on SDN, is because on the east coast it is very well known and extremely highly regarded both in the real world by program directors and in the online world. However, NYU is regarded by every program director in every school and residency program accross the country as crap. No program wants to accept an NYU student, and shadowing in two residency programs exposed me to the thought process of program directors of residency programs. I quote what one told me "I would never accept any NYU grad into my Peds program unless they graduated in the top 3-4 in their class. If you graduate top 3-4 in a class of 300+ then you will do well anywhere. Otherwise, NYU is a disgrace of a school, more intersted in making money then teaching students." Now thats a pediatric program. Ortho thought even less highly of NYU if thats possible. It seems like Penn was the concensus school that they liked the most. Yeah they liked all the good (highly regarded) schools Stonybrook and Columbia included, but NYU was the absolute bottom of the list.

Sounds a bit extreme... If someone from NYU has the scores and rank and extracurriculars, they are good as anyone. How will program directors love Columbia students when they dont start dental anatomy/pre-clinic till the end of 2nd year?

To prove my point I will just let you know that Stonybrooks deposit is fully refundable until the end of March. As you can tell, many people are desperate to get in there and they arent money hungry. The only other school that had no deposit or a refundable deposit that I know of is Harvard. Thats not a coincidence.

I am Jewish, so don't call me a racist. I want to be somewhere with diversity, not somewhere where everyone else is the same as me, Jewish.

You have got to be kidding me. Stony Brook is a safety school? Rofl dude get over yourself. I seriously doubt you even got in to SB. Please look up the word "safety" before posting on this thread.

Part of a letter from last year: Stony Brook Admissions
<[email protected]>
to [email protected]
date Wed, Mar 7, 2007 at 11:54 AM
subject Information Packets have been mailed out

3/7/07

Greetings Everyone,

I hope that you are all well, and that you are looking forward to becoming a part of the Stonybrook University School of Dental Medicine as much as we are looking forward to having you here.

I just want to let you know that we have mailed you each a packet containing financial aid and housing information and other information that you will need to have. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call or email.

Best wishes,

K.D.

Department of Admissions

I truncated some names for obvious reasons. Please don't call me a liar.

P.S. - I only started on SB after the Klutz started on NYU, buddy
P.P.S. - I have no idea what rofl means

Now I'm not saying NYU is a bad school. I actually really liked the school and the great food! :thumbup::laugh: If NYU was the same tuition as Stony Brook, I might actually consider going there.

Now on why stony is a Safety school i'll illustrate in the argument

Fact: NYU is probably the most expensive dental school in the Nation
Therefore: People don't wanna go there
Because people don't wanna go there, it follows that they will go to another school if they had the chance. Therefore, it is easier to get in to NYU because you are only competing with leftovers.

From above, we see that NYU is easier to get into
All "easy to get in" schools are "safety" schools (Even if it's your #1 choice)
Therefore, it follows that NYU is a safety school

Edit: ROFL means roll on floor laughing.

Last edited:
Fact: NYU is probably the most expensive dental school in the Nation
Therefore: People don't wanna go there

Harvard must be a safety school too by this reasoning.

Guys and gals, NYU is the largest Dental School in the country, as you probably know, this, over 1,000 people are accepted each year to fill the class. Therefore, it seems as if a ton of people are getting in.

However, when you look at the statistics, NYU's are very similar to many other schools.

Go to dental school where you feel at home an comfortable, not the cheapest school automatically.

I am Jewish, so don't call me a racist. I want to be somewhere with diversity, not somewhere where everyone else is the same as me, Jewish.

Thats fine.. I was more commenting on the fact that people feel so comfortable labeling people by religion or race.. I am all for diversity, I just thought that comments like that on a public forum can be taken the wrong way and I find it shocking that people would say something like that... about not wanting to be surrounded a religion or race. I mean, had you said "I was looking for a place with more diversity"... I probably would not have thought twice... Anyway, if you didnt mean what I thought, then it was a miscommunication...

Anyway, I :love: NYU, so I'm behind you on that... and I love the diversity as well... but I hate arguements... I knew I shouldnt have gotten involved... I just wanted to stand up for my beliefs about treating people decently regardless of race/religion... but again, misunderstanding.

Bowing out.

ACTUALLY, at a recen tnyu interview, Dr. Mejia personally introduced us to a student that got into the ortho program.. so regardless of the school, u have to be top 1% to get into any specialty program..

ahh so sad, all these rumors.. who cares where anyone goes? u guys are lucky to have gotten in to dental school ur first attempt. with the economy so bad, u'll be lucky to even get in this year...

so give it a rest, everyone school has its pros and cons so the minute u get ur acceptance, be happy, thankful, and feel bad for those who have to reapply next year becuz it's only gonna get harder and harder.

**with that being said, i am from california and if i have to go anywhere on the east coast, i would definitely choose NYU. yeah it's expensive but students are happy there.