NYU housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketu229

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone,

Since we all know each other so well here, can people going to NYU please put in some suggestions for housing. Also those who are interested in sharing Off campus or on campus housing.

ketu

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Ketu,

I will also be attending NYU this fall & am looking for some on campus / off campus housing. But as of now i dont know whether one should go for it or look for housing themselves.Do you have any idea how much it would cost for a single studio on campus? I am planning to stay somewhere close to our college to avoid travel time, but still iam not familiar with the neighborhood to make any decision. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hope to meet you soon,

Opal

This is Sudha....I have been accepted at NYU...
I wanted to know if you have any idea of accomodation... I have no clue at all...

if its ok with you...lets discuss...

U can write to me at
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Ketu229,

please check your pm...

Sudhas

Are you guys Indian or something? :) Anyways, I'd like to throw myself into the mix. I'll be attending NYU Dental School and I'm looking for other people in the same boat as me. My email is [email protected] . I'm thinking about going with the Campus housing on 26th street but I still need a roommate. I'm also open to other suggestions. Lets start an email list. Maybe we can get our housing taken care off and not have to worry about it all summer :)

Hi Hossaiaa

welcome, actually campus housing is not so convinient. But your suggestions are welcome and we will try to help you to find a roommate. let me know your gender and Veg non vegetarian options.

Hello Ketu.
I'm curious as to why you said campus housing is not so convenient. At this point, I think I know the least about NYU housing than anyone else here so I hope you don't mind all the questions. BTW, I am male and non vegetarian. Thanks for your help.

hi,
friends, i also want to join the group , i am also looking for some appt. but i am thinking of living in NJ as according to me it is cheap......any way my email address is [email protected]. any suggestion is wel come
snehal

Hi Hossaiaa
I am femala and would like to cook food but the on campus housing does not kitchen and I dont want to stay in a studio..I think itis not comfortable for me...
Just a suggestion I dont know about you so your preference may be different.

Hi snehal,

I was also planning to commute from NJ before but as I came to know about the unsafety of Subway in the evenings I have changed my mind.
But look over it like this, your daily traveling expenses and living expenses in NJ equals same as living expenses in Manhattan and closer to school. may be you just have to same some 100$ more than what are those total expenses , but this is safe and colser to school so if you have no lecture in between you can come back home. Plus safety in Manhattan, i mean if we take the house closer to school we can go by the school shuttle bus which will leave us right in front of the apartment.

I think it is up to you to decide, this was just a suggestion, as to I dont know whether you are a male or female.

hi ketu229,
i think you r right , i am female but my concer is i am married and my husband is in new jersy so i am interested in new jersy in this way we both can split some time for traveling......... but if u r liiving alone , your calculation is right.... agian if i want to stay in manhattan then my husband has to pay toll everyday and we have to pay for parking also ( for his car ) so this is again costly for me .this is my concern .......... any way if u can able to find something good off campus ....... that is reallly good.
snehal

hi ketu299,
and i don't know about subway but i am preety sure about path train that is good option for us for traveling to college as we need not to change train and it is easy and safe,again nyc itself is costlier than nj...... + sales tax ..so though we r not paying for transportation but all other expenses like laundry , groccery .......etc are costly as nyc is costlier .......
this is my thinking ......and suggestion ....... any way i am Indian, Gujrati , vegeterian girl.......also want to share apprtment.....any suggestions always welcome

Hey Ketu299,
I think the 2 bedroom apts on the 26th St. Residence all have kitchens and living rooms, besides the two bedrooms. I'm a guy but in the next several years I plan to perfect my art of cooking. Ok fine, I can't cook worth a dime but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi snehal..

even i m looking for an apartment and my husband will also move with me. we havn't decided in which place we should rent an apartment but mostly we are also planing to move to NJ. so in which part of NJ u r right now.. can u pl.tell me which areas are good in NJ which are closer to subways and nyc?

hossaiaa said:
Hey Ketu299,
I think the 2 bedroom apts on the 26th St. Residence all have kitchens and living rooms, besides the two bedrooms. I'm a guy but in the next several years I plan to perfect my art of cooking. Ok fine, I can't cook worth a dime but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway :)
Hi hossaiaa,
Its great to know that you like cooking, are you talking about university offcampus housing apartment? also can you specify what do you mena by besides the two bedrooms? I mean did you visit personally and had a look at the apartments...please let me know about it?
I appreciate your cooking Enthusiasm.

Snehal
yes yours is good decision to stay with husband in NJ because I know the expenses are very high in Manhattan. But didnt get you, you want to stay with husband and share a aparment too.....can you Pm me regarding this.....I am maharashtrin married vegetarian female....

thanks
ketu

hi snehal,

its a good decision .......i wanted to stay in between philly n nyu if possible...........since my husband works in philly.................so i just want to know where do u stay in newjersy.................where do u thihk it will be comfortable for my situation in nj.............my first concern is safety.....u said its very safe to travel so i juct want to find out everything in detail..
will be waiting for ur reply.......

take care.............

hey guys

count me also in ... I will be starting this fall at nyu .
I dont mind on campus studio ..but not sure how many will be sharing the same hall and also wonder if we get to choose our roomates?

I am game for the off campus housing too ...but it should be close to school .

ciao ...

Hello Everyone,

I am starting my studies in NYU in August. I am moving from Canada to NY with my wife and need to know if there are any particular areas where most of the students are residing, perhaps in similar situation as me. I am new to NY and it will be a great help if someone could pinpoint areas or cities that are convenient to commute from and may also have other students residing there. Is N.J. or Queens a good option, what cities in these areas are closer to subways? and How are the rents? I will greatly appreciate help in this regard. Thanks a lot guys !

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this site ? wish I had known about this earlier. Everyone is so helpful here, and it is so nice and comforting to know people in the same boat as I am. :thumbup:

I am planning on attending NYU starting this August. About me: I am Indian married female currently living in Seattle. Unfortunately, my husband will not be moving with me :( , so I am looking to share an apartment, or a studio apartment to live alone.

If someone is in the same boat as me regarding housing, please PM me and we can get in touch. Also, I would appreciate any insight and advice on how to find off-campus housing.

Hello everybody

I am an Indian female married and based in London right now . I am going to join NYU this fall too. My husband cannot move with me .Hence,I am planning to stay in Jersy City and looking for a roomate to share .
I am open to suggestions too . If anybody in the same boat mail me and we can work it out .

Cheers
cavity buster

hi guys

do check out craigslist.com and choose the city u want. we used this to find apts when we were looking for one in NY some time ago.

if u are indian, u might be able to find something useful on sulekha.com for NYcity too. u need to choose new york in sulekha too.

a lot of people stay in jersey city and commute to NYC and travel by the PATH trains. do check out that website.

and anywhere u stay in new york city, u have the subway system, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. how safe the area is and time are the only factors probably. and of course price. usually the cheapest 1BR apt u can get in NY is $1100 a month inclusive of heat and hot water.

hope this helps.

good luck to all of u......... :luck:

I guess we all are in same boat. Looks like the NYU version of "Friends" :laugh: ... Ok according to my "re"-search I can say that there are couple of options there

(1) Dorms (I guess you can enjoy the NYC life but its costly option so, not for me)

(2) Jersey City (Ok PATH trains are another (may be only) option to explore) near to Journal SQ. but its not safe at all. I know some friends who had bad experince while returning late evening after 8-9 pm) So I wouldn't advise this to female.

(3) Now only option left is NewPort(Pavonia)/Hoboken - (again PATH to 9th St. /23/33rd St). Rent for 2 bdrm is from 1400/2200 depends on the location of the apartment (well parking may be extra). Very safe neighbourhood, and SAFE and near to train station! So can't beat that. (again its in NJ so taxes and other expenses doesn't have NYC lebel on it! and still its same as NYC!)

If we all are in same boat then should be able to get decent deal if we can share the apartments in NewPort/Hoboken.

Any thoughts/comments?

-Ashesh.

hi ashesh
I agree with you, we need to stay in safe neighbourhood and less traveling time.
Have you been to this place and looke for the aparments? if yes can you let me know the number and address of the office. I am looking to go personally and visit the places so I can figure out where exactly to stay.
thanks for feedback guys.

DIA said:
hi snehal..

even i m looking for an apartment and my husband will also move with me. we havn't decided in which place we should rent an apartment but mostly we are also planing to move to NJ. so in which part of NJ u r right now.. can u pl.tell me which areas are good in NJ which are closer to subways and nyc?
hi dia,
well, i think here we had very good crowd here willing to move to NJ........i think we should try together so if we can't share than atleast we can stay together that's how it will be helpful to every one of us ........anyway here in this thred ashesh has given very good clue regarding staying and location , safety and price wise very good analysys ..........i am fully agree with him .....and my eamil adress is [email protected], if you want u can mail me ........
snehal

ganesha said:
hi snehal,

its a good decision .......i wanted to stay in between philly n nyu if possible...........since my husband works in philly.................so i just want to know where do u stay in newjersy.................where do u thihk it will be comfortable for my situation in nj.............my first concern is safety.....u said its very safe to travel so i juct want to find out everything in detail..
will be waiting for ur reply.......

take care.............

hi ganesha,
first of sorry for delayed response ........well actually i am not very good for advice u about your situation that which place in NJ is good for your situation , but their is couple of options like jersy city , hobokon, new port......are good for travelling from nyu as it is close to nycity though not so costly..........and i couldn't get u that whether u want to stay in NJ or what? but if u are staying at one of these places than path trains are good for travelling and less time consuming ........ so i think that is good option.i hope this will help u

Hi,
For people interested in Newport, the website is newportnj.com. it doesnot contain apartment listings. But it gives the contact number for newport rental office.
I personally live in Newport and it is a pretty good place. But mind you, it is not Manhattan. It is about 15 minutes from newport to 14th street by PATH and the trains are frequent and safe.The rent here for 1 bedroom normally starts from 1300-1400 and upwards depending on the floor, building and view. And the rent doesnot include heat. The heating in NEwport is through electric heaters and it comes in your Electricity bill.

Note for people trying to find a place in NYC- Upper East Side is generally more expensive than Upeer West Side and don't look for apartments beyond 95th street on upper east side and 100th on upper west side. It is not ver safe (The word safe is a relative term. You got to be careful in any place)

Do mail if you have any questions.

I am also a married indian female accepted at NYU. I am searching for a room-mate to share an apt. Having spokend to second and third years at NYU, I have decided that Jersey City (New Port) is the most optimal place to live and commute to school. The commute is about 20min via PATH train and is very convenient. I have started searching apts. and would be glad to know ur thoughts. Please respond if u r intersted. Nice 2 know u.
best :thumbup:

SimpleDentist said:
Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this site ? wish I had known about this earlier. Everyone is so helpful here, and it is so nice and comforting to know people in the same boat as I am. :thumbup:

I am planning on attending NYU starting this August. About me: I am Indian married female currently living in Seattle. Unfortunately, my husband will not be moving with me :( , so I am looking to share an apartment, or a studio apartment to live alone.

If someone is in the same boat as me regarding housing, please PM me and we can get in touch. Also, I would appreciate any insight and advice on how to find off-campus housing.

thank you
dental supremo and noviceDental

These are really helpful for people looking to rent appartments in NJ

hello how long do you wait after the interwied to recieved your letter when you do your interwied? my was in april 15 very bad since I aplied last year//////

pendejodo said:
hello how long do you wait after the interwied to recieved your letter when you do your interwied? my was in april 15 very bad since I aplied last year//////
Hi pendejodo,
I received my letter in 15 days

thanx snehal, DentalSupremo and Novicedental...

sorry guys.. i m out of touch with sdn for a while but now i m back and can join u guys..

hello,ketu this web side is very good is almost 3 weeks but to this point seems to me is no good , One more question dear, is this camiing in regular mail or express. va I will star anat. just in case any good web side for neuro?

hello anybady outthere this is pendejodo nyu aplicant this fall?

what the letter say please share with me thank you..............is cool in boston

itsme said:
hi pendejodo,
check ur pm
hello, Are you american because if you are housing should be no problem,, I am in boston. what about you guys

hey guys,
i hav a doubt , the fee which they collect includes for the boarding right ( pls correct me if iam wrong ) or is it optional of u staying in the campus or wherever u stay ,as far as i read here in SDN the fee in nyu is the highest and apart from that got to pay for the place?????? coz i can c u people really striving hard for a place to live in, iam not for sure one of my friends told that for the first u have to stay within the campus and for the next year there is a choice, i am confused , all the very best for those u r into NYU this year .

cheers.

pendejodo said:
hello,ketu this web side is very good is almost 3 weeks but to this point seems to me is no good , One more question dear, is this camiing in regular mail or express. va I will star anat. just in case any good web side for neuro?
hi pendejodo,

I got it in regular mail. it is a formal letter.

undefined
ssaug said:
hey guys,
i hav a doubt , the fee which they collect includes for the boarding right ( pls correct me if iam wrong ) or is it optional of u staying in the campus or wherever u stay ,as far as i read here in SDN the fee in nyu is the highest and apart from that got to pay for the place?????? coz i can c u people really striving hard for a place to live in, iam not for sure one of my friends told that for the first u have to stay within the campus and for the next year there is a choice, i am confused , all the very best for those u r into NYU this year .

cheers.
Hi, Just wanted to say, I am back from India after a long vacation :laugh: . Couldn't get on the web for a long time.
Well, here I am now. Just filled application for NYU on-campus housing. I am opting to live in a shared appartment close to the college. Still working on the immunization requirements.

To share my 2 cents.. NYU fees structure shows both with and without on-campus housing. If you opt for on-campus housing, the fees includes your boarding expenses. Either way, NYU fees is the highest :rolleyes: . You don't HAVE TO stay on-campus in the first year, its optional.

hey guys I will be attending NYU too this fall!!

I am planning to stay at the apt on 26th street ..
one of my friend who is in 2nd year stays there and its just 4 blocks away from school...the apt is decent with two bedrooms, a kitchen n a lobby..

the cost of living is so high in NYC..still looking for more cheaper options...

has anyone made up their mind n returned the housing application form to NYU??
pooja

poojagulaya said:
hey guys I will be attending NYU too this fall!!

I am planning to stay at the apt on 26th street ..
one of my friend who is in 2nd year stays there and its just 4 blocks away from school...the apt is decent with two bedrooms, a kitchen n a lobby..

the cost of living is so high in NYC..still looking for more cheaper options...

has anyone made up their mind n returned the housing application form to NYU??
pooja
hi pooja
can you tell me how much is the rent of the apartment you are planning to stay in?
also the names of the apartment?

rent for the apt is around $1150 per month...
There are dorms too which are one bedroom with shared bath just 1 block from school but my friend says they are too noisy and crowded -ALWAYS!!
pooja

hi pooja..

that $1150 is full rent or aft sharing? i mean if 2 persons are sharing 2 bedroom apt.. one has to pay $1150 or $575?

DIA said:
hi pooja..

that $1150 is full rent or aft sharing? i mean if 2 persons are sharing 2 bedroom apt.. one has to pay $1150 or $575?
Hi,
This is for individual person total would be double of that!
there are studios and two bedroom apt available ..both have different prices..
Hope that answers,
Pooja

hey ketu and everyone accepted to NYU,
1st of all welcome to NYU.
NYU 26th street does have a kitchen (no seperate living room though).
I was living in the bldg for 1 yr and just moved out.
good luck to all of u guys.

interesting to read about housing in the big apple.

I have been searching for a one- bedroom in SF for 3 weeks. The ones that look decent enough are often 1300-1500 /month with parking extra! :eek: 1150 is not bad at all! especially considering that school housing in SF charges even more than that :eek:

hey organic,
school housing(26th street) is $7040 per person sharing a 2 bed room dorm for 4.5 months so u do the math....it is not 1150...that is for off campus.
so sf is still cheaper.
plus additonal for parking if u have a car.min $500 per month.

hey pooja ,
arent u still waiting for bu results? whr did u do ur masters?i had my admission in nyu this yr. but i gave it up. its crazy the amount of money wehave to pay for school and also cost of living ...... :eek:
whn does the school start.... in jun? whn do u have to pay the fees?since u have already decided to join nyu thrs no harm in demanding ur result frm bu. maybe tht will work.

Hey I am planning on attending NYU this Fall and was wondering if someone else is looking for a roomate. Im going to be staying at 26th Street Apts for the year. I dont party at all and am East Indian. I will be visiting NY in June from the 7th-11th. I could meet up with you and get to know you before orientation arrives in August.

Also, which loans are preferred out of the following:
1) Citibank Loan
2) Sallie Mae Loan

Any thoughts or recommendations???????????

Thanks,

Rocky