NYU (IS) vs Stony Brook (IS) vs UPenn (OOS)

Started by levma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

levma

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I have been very fortunate this cycle to get many offers but have decided between 3 schools. I am struggling to choose and will also be speaking to students from said schools to make my decision. I am very interested in being a super GP or specializing in ortho or pediatrics. A few people here and irl have given me some advice but any more is appreciated 🫡!

Note: Although tuition does play a factor, I am fortunate to have a family that is supporting me every step of the way. I am looking to also pay a higher tuition if I have a greater opportunity to potentially specialize (though I am not sure if that will happen).

NYU
Pros:
  • IS, close to family and friends as I live in NYC (but it is an hour commute by train)
  • Opportunities to specialize and heavy clinical curriculum (as told to me by a current D1)
  • Interested in their leadership program
Cons:
  • Large class size and it feels exactly like my undergrad (commuter school and same vibe), i kind of want to escape that after being in such a system for so long.
  • Tuition is around 55k per semester
  • Ranked (though not the biggest con for me)

Stony Brook
Pros:
  • IS, 2 hour drive from my family but I do not mind living in an apartment close by.
  • Small class size, good connection to faculty
  • Lower tuition (I plan to pay for my housing out of pocket, not through my loans. But if I do include it in my loans, the price will be around 20-30k cheaper than NYU)
  • Supposedly good specialization rates (will be talking to a D4 about this!)

Cons:
  • Pretty dreary atmosphere, have to commute by car to get into the school but thats life I guess
  • Far from home (not the worst con)
  • Im a city girl so moving to the suburbs seems like a drastic change
  • Heard about toxicity, though not sure if it is true

UPenn:
Pros:
  • High specialization rates
  • In the city
  • Decent class size without it being as large as NYU
  • Nice looking facilities
  • Unranked, calmer atmosphere
  • Fridays off as a D1
  • Easier research opportunities if I am interested

Cons:
  • Will cost roughly the same price in tuition as NYU (didn’t get a scholarship thus far)
  • Far from family
  • Heard their clinical experience is less in depth than NYU
  • Heard the surrounding area may be dangerous (a friend of a friend supposedly got robbed 😅).
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone! I have been very fortunate this cycle to get many offers but have decided between 3 schools. I am struggling to choose and will also be speaking to students from said schools to make my decision. I am very interested in being a super GP or specializing in ortho or pediatrics. A few people here and irl have given me some advice but any more is appreciated 🫡!

Note: Although tuition does play a factor, I am fortunate to have a family that is supporting me every step of the way. I am looking to also pay a higher tuition if I have a greater opportunity to potentially specialize (though I am not sure if that will happen).

NYU
Pros:
  • IS, close to family and friends as I live in NYC (but it is an hour commute by train)
  • Opportunities to specialize and heavy clinical curriculum (as told to me by a current D1)
  • Interested in their leadership program
Cons:
  • Large class size and it feels exactly like my undergrad (commuter school and same vibe), i kind of want to escape that after being in such a system for so long.
  • Tuition is around 55k per semester
  • Ranked (though not the biggest con for me)

Stony Brook
Pros:
  • IS, 2 hour drive from my family but I do not mind living in an apartment close by.
  • Small class size, good connection to faculty
  • Lower tuition (I plan to pay for my housing out of pocket, not through my loans. But if I do include it in my loans, the price will be around 20-30k cheaper than NYU)
  • Supposedly good specialization rates (will be talking to a D4 about this!)

Cons:
  • Pretty dreary atmosphere, have to commute by car to get into the school but thats life I guess
  • Far from home (not the worst con)
  • Im a city girl so moving to the suburbs seems like a drastic change
  • Heard about toxicity, though not sure if it is true

UPenn:
Pros:
  • High specialization rates
  • In the city
  • Decent class size without it being as large as NYU
  • Nice looking facilities
  • Unranked, calmer atmosphere
  • Fridays off as a D1
  • Easier research opportunities if I am interested

Cons:
  • Will cost roughly the same price in tuition as NYU (didn’t get a scholarship thus far)
  • Far from family
  • Heard their clinical experience is less in depth than NYU
  • Heard the surrounding area may be dangerous (a friend of a friend supposedly got robbed 😅).
choose stony
do not choose NYU...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ask your D4 connections. In the absence of significant financial aid, which is your cheapest option? Is it a desirable state or location close to where you want to practice?
Stony is the cheapest. I’d say NYU and Penn would be the same cost of loans in my situation. I am fine with staying IS and Penn and Stony are the same distance by car, so either location works. Though I did hear Penn’s neighborhood is iffy. Both are in desirable states I’d like to practice, but I would like to practice in NY in the future.
 
Hi all, just updating this thread to let you know im picking Stony! I toured UPenn and wasn’t as impressed with the school or neighborhood, it felt like a Stony 2.0.
Wouldn’t that make UPenn better? Isn’t 2.0 better? For your situation, Stony would be the right choice.