NYU or Columbia...????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know. More of the same. So sorry. But here's my deal. I'm in at NYU and have withdrawn from everywhere except Columbia because those are my two favorites. But I'm not sure I would go to Columbia over NYU and am considering just withdrawing so I'm finalized as a member of NYUCD class of '11 and won't have to worry anymore -- I'm supposed to hear from Columbia after I send in the NYU deposit. I know you're out there, but why would YOU choose CU over NYU (other than cost... that horse has been beaten to a pulp...)

Please keep in mind that I really LIKE NYU.

Thanks for the advice. Much love all around.

Mack

Members don't see this ad.

it looks like you've already made your decision. you've been to both schools and you know what they have to offer. they both have a good name in the eyes of any non-predent. cost isn't a factor. and you must like the people/atmosphere of nyu better than columbia.

i personally chose columbia because:
1. only 75 people in the class (not too small and not too large)
2. classes with med students (med school is usually ranked in the top 10)
3. podcasting
4. price
5. ivy league name
6. high specialization rates (even excluding gpr/aegd)
7. only one to accept me so far

plenty of other reasons. but that's all i care to think of for now.

fxxx off and be smart. u go to nyc u die.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are really good schools. Columbia, no doubt, has a bigger name--it is after all, ivy league. Columbia is also cheaper, though not significantly enough for me to consider.

The advantages for NYU, from my perspective, are as follows
1. Location is definitely better than Columbia. Columbia borders Harlem and is no longer what I consider part of the core of NYC.
2. Facilities--NYU is better. The size of their school and the number of international students lends to completely separate dental school and dental curriculum. NYU has recently created the Bluestone center for clinical research, which the largest dental research institution of its kind in the nation.
3. Friendliness of students and staff: I would go with NYU. As an HS advisor once told me, Columbia is an elitist institution. Many people who decide to go there are after the name and are gunners. Although I cannot comment specifically on the dental school, observing the environment closely during the interview is a must. If you are the type that do really well under pressure and scrutiny, then Columbia might be for you.
4. Curriculum: NYU. Sharing classes with medical students is the traditional way of teaching dentistry. As one biased faculty has told me, Columbia's curriculum is outdated. They teach you more than is necessary and what I refer to is not greater detail but excess information (about other parts of the body) that is not necessarily tested on the national boards. As a result, the clinical part of Columbia is totally lacking and residency is a must to become a practicing dentist. Furthermore, being with medical students who blow the curve, who have more time to study, who are simply smarter and who look down on dental students, in my opinion, can get annoying.

I know. More of the same. So sorry. But here's my deal. I'm in at NYU and have withdrawn from everywhere except Columbia because those are my two favorites. But I'm not sure I would go to Columbia over NYU and am considering just withdrawing so I'm finalized as a member of NYUCD class of '11 and won't have to worry anymore -- I'm supposed to hear from Columbia after I send in the NYU deposit. I know you're out there, but why would YOU choose CU over NYU (other than cost... that horse has been beaten to a pulp...)

Please keep in mind that I really LIKE NYU.

Thanks for the advice. Much love all around.

Mack

As a 2nd year at CU, I enjoy taking classes with the med students. We are graded separately--the med students have one curve while the dental students have a different (usually much larger :laugh: ) curve. And, because we have the same classes, the med students have opened up their website to all the dental students so we can mooch off of their notes and transcripts for free--we don't have to help them to make or write up the notes, but they're gracious enough to let us use them (they understand that we're busier than they are). There are a few med students who are asswipes and "look down" on dental students, but of the 150ish med students I've met only 2-3 fit that description while the rest are totally cool. On the other hand, their are definitely 2-3 kids in my class of 75 who are definite asswipes. There are rude people everywhere no matter where you look, it's not because "they are med students."

Hmmm....benefits of NYU...

...NYU has pretty people.

NYU won't get you killed.

The large class size could make learning fun, unless you're misanthropic.

You can chill in southern manhattan, while your CU peers are too affraid to go outside the building.

**You won't learn more non-dental material, so your life actually can be enjoyable.

(Since NYU's trying to change their reputation, failing rates may no longer be a problem. It has all the makings of an excellent school, even thou it'll take a few years before it fully gets there)

fxxx off and be smart. u go to nyc u die.

tingteenfone, if you can dish out a comment like that, surely you deserve a bigger taste of your own medicine: "Aww, aren't you a tad bitter my friend. Aren't you the one that got rejected/waitlisted from all 8 schools you applied to? There also goes your dream to live in NY. Perhaps you're also bitter that you didn't apply to NYU whereby you could have got a "better chance" of being accepted. Oh wait, you wrote your DAT in mid August of this year...oops, your bad. So who is the smart one again? Shame."

I'm not the type to rag on people who get rejected from all schools they applied to because, I too, have been through that. However, being impolite with a bad breath of bitterness is immature, informative, and shows the type of dentist you'll become (IF you get accepted).

Now for the the OP, both schools will provide you with an excellent education. You honestly can't go wrong in picking one or the other to attend. CU has the better reputation but that doesn't mean anything- no patient cares what dental school you went to as long as you do good work. Other members who have posted on the board have provided you with excellent specifics from both schools. Congrats on your acceptances!

NYU won't get you killed .... You can chill in southern manhattan, while your CU peers are too affraid to go outside the building.

:p funny stuff.. :p

...and I continue to be impressed by this fascinating tool we have available to us, namely SDN. Thanks SO VERY MUCH to you guys for your very insightful responses. It's nice to hear something from someone who isn't a parent or girlfriend.

Listen!
Since you said "other than the cost", hence the following advice:

Other than the cost why wouldn't you choose NYU over CU?
At CU you'd better get into specialty or else you will not get enough dental experience, or at least so I have heard from one CU graduate who told me she was not confident at all to practice so she got into GPR and then pediatric dentistry, meaning that after graduation she had to study for another three years to practice.

Now enough of bashing Columbia: The amount of didactic training at CU is probably unmatched with the mere exception of UConn (at which you have to take classes with the med students)

Any way the question is the following?
do you want to specialize or do you want to become a skilled dentist needing no additional training to practice?

you can email me:
[email protected]

this columbia bashing is getting way out of hand and not just in this thread. it seems that everyone has a friend that didn't turn out quite right out of all the schools. i wouldn't be too worried unless all the students coming out were incompetent. i really think that anyone can be strong in didactics as well as clincal coming from any school. we have the resources and it's really what we put in that decides how we'll come out at the end of the 4 years.

i think it really comes down to where you feel you'll be able to thrive. some factors that i've decided to use to make my decision are:
1. curriculum/school's ideals: i like the fact that columbia has some extra courses that may be viewed as unneccessary. like the perio class they offered before many other schools, which eventually became its own specialty. i also like the fact that they consider dentistry as a subspecialty of medicine.
2. resources: i don't care if they have the newest technology. they just have to have everything i think i'll need.
3. people/environment: i like to see if most of the class gets along with each other moreso than if i get along with them. but the latter is also important. i didn't notice any competition, stress, or scrutinizing professors. the students seemed pretty relaxed and happy. the teachers were also helpful and friendly.

i won't be interviewing at NYU til late january but i'm sure i'll be weighing my options later. i hope there will be more post explaining why NYU and Columbia are great schools instead of why "my friend" had a bad experience at Columbia or NYU (if these posts come up later). Though I would like more information on some NYU rumors about space issues and overall school problems as opposed to any individuals issues.

Our tour guide at NYU turned down Columbia to attend NYU. I don't know her reasons but she completely backed her decision- so there are people out there who choose NYU over Columbia.

I am going to burst the bubble out there for a few people. I know for a fact that NYU has the people that they give scholarships to advertise for the school. Ill bet you anythin the guy who turned down columbia got a scholarship at NYU. I know someone there who did the same exact thing and said it isnt worth goin to unless you get a scholarship (or unless it is the only place you get into).

tingteenfone, if you can dish out a comment like that, surely you deserve a bigger taste of your own medicine: "Aww, aren't you a tad bitter my friend. Aren't you the one that got rejected/waitlisted from all 8 schools you applied to? There also goes your dream to live in NY. Perhaps you're also bitter that you didn't apply to NYU whereby you could have got a "better chance" of being accepted. Oh wait, you wrote your DAT in mid August of this year...oops, your bad. So who is the smart one again? Shame."

I'm not the type to rag on people who get rejected from all schools they applied to because, I too, have been through that. However, being impolite with a bad breath of bitterness is immature, informative, and shows the type of dentist you'll become (IF you get accepted).

Now for the the OP, both schools will provide you with an excellent education. You honestly can't go wrong in picking one or the other to attend. CU has the better reputation but that doesn't mean anything- no patient cares what dental school you went to as long as you do good work. Other members who have posted on the board have provided you with excellent specifics from both schools. Congrats on your acceptances!

unneccessary.

It sounds from your OP that you're happy with NYU. I say go where you think you'll be happiest.

It sounds from your OP that you're happy with NYU. I say go where you think you'll be happiest.

I probably am. It's just hard to turn down an ivy name with such an excellent placement rate into residencies.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. Same boat as you--will also be interviewing at Columbia. Right now, it's NYU. But we'll see after the interview.

I probably am. It's just hard to turn down an ivy name with such an excellent placement rate into residencies.

Again, this lends itself to the question of do the schools determine whether a student will be successful or is it mainly because of the student? I tend to think that it is both. However, note that, although I never officially attended CC, I have taken CC courses. Some of the best taught classes I've taken were at the CC. I still think that a large part of future success lies mainly with the student.

Also, NYU, both undergrad and grad (especially), has a name, though it is not an ivy. www.usnews.com.

I don't know much about columbia since I did not apply there. However, from my observation, columbia seems like an excellent school if you are interested in specializing (plus it's an ivy league school - I am aware that school name matters little but still the school's highly regarded! ;) )

Personally, I am choosing NYU for the following reasons. At first, I heard some negative comments about NYUCD here on SDN. Then, I visited the school and I just fell in love with the school, city, people and everything!

1. NYU is in the heart of manhattan! Seriously, the city is filled with so much energy, diversity & culture. I know it costs $$$ but if you are looking to have some fun, it's worth every penny. It's a once in a lifetime experience. :D

2. Big class size - I know this turns off some people but I personally like it. It forces you to become someone who would knock on the door rather than someone who would wait others to open the door for you. I think it's important you learn to be independent b/c it prepares you well for the real world dentistry. Nobody is going to hold your hands once you graduate.

3. amazing facilities, faculties and resources - as a result of big class size, the school has many faculties & vast research or outreach opportunities. Their facilities are amazing - you will believe me once you visit the school and realize that they have the entire 11 floor building for dental school plus top-notch research center.

3. proven curriculum - like others mentioned, nyu's curriculum is clinically based, so it prepares you well for general dentistry. I would rather take the courses that are specifically designed for dental students rather than courses that are designed for medical students. Also, you don't have to do the cadaver disection! trust me, this will relieve some of your stress. when I did the cat dissection in my vertebrate morphology class, life was miserable and I smelt like a dead fish.

4. patient pool - you will get to interact with and treat a wide range of patients - from homeless patients, to fasion models, to business men. I think many people overlook this but it's really important that you get an experience of dealing with people of all kinds of backgrounds/cultures.

the rumors about kicking out dental students are not true. they had such problems years ago, but after recognizing this issue, the school now does its best to help students graduate. after talking to several students there, it's very unlikely that you will get kicked out unless you force yourself to do so.

I think nyucd is going into a right direction. their efforts to improve are evidently observable if you visit the school and talk to the students/faculties. plus, their admission staff was recently changed, and it's no longer considered as a "safety school". just look at the recent threads about nyu acceptance/waitlist/rejections.

theses are just my opinion! so please take them as a grain of salt. :) I'm sure columbia or any other dental school in the us will provide you a solid education! so really, it's a win-win situation for ya. :D

best of luck to everyone!
dentalist

I'd pick Columbia hands down. It has a much better rep, and NYU intentionally flunks out a huge portion of each class before 3rd year because they admit more students than they can support in the clinical years.

I'd pick Columbia hands down. It has a much better rep, and NYU intentionally flunks out a huge portion of each class before 3rd year because they admit more students than they can support in the clinical years.

You're funny. :eek: