NYU or Temple Accelerated Dental Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullydental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to both the 7-year accelerated dental programs for NYU and Temple University, and I'm struggling to decide which one I should attend. Here are some factors that I'm considering:

• Temple gave me a full scholarship for my undergraduate time there, whereas I received no aid from NYU. I'm lucky enough that my parents are able to afford both so I will exit either program without debt, but obviously the cost difference is still a large factor.

• One other concern is that Temple doesn't necessarily guarantee a spot for those in the program in TU's dental school even if they meet the 3.4 GPA requirement, as there is an interview involved and a letter of recommendation needed from the Pre-Health evaluation committee. However, upon contacting TU, I was told that program students are rarely ever unable to matriculate. On the other hand, I've heard that at NYU, accelerated dental students are almost guaranteed a spot in dental school as long as they maintain a 3.5 GPA, and that the interview is more of a formality.

• Lastly, I understand that Temple has a reputation for being in a dangerous area. When I visited this past weekend, the campus seemed nice and safe overall, but I've still heard stories about incidents involving students and I know that the Kornberg School of Dentistry isn't located on TU's main campus. On the other hand, NYU is in Manhattan. How do the two schools' locations compare to one another, and do their locations have an impact on students' ability to learn (ex. able to stay later at school, etc.)

From what I've heard, Temple and NYU's dental schools prepare their students equally well despite their differences in location, class sizes, etc. so I'm not too concerned about that. But if anyone has any experience with either dental school or has any insight in general, please let me know! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would go with Temple, when you do have the opportunity to apply to dental school, cost becomes a surreal factor. Temple is twice as cheap as NYU and living cost is very affordable compared to Manhattan.
In terms of NYU, the only reason I would choose it is in case you might want to change your major, NYU is a fantastic school to attend and I'm sure you can easily find a job coming out. NYU also has a lot of fun stuff to do as well... so... idunno. I'm more frugal so Temple is my choice, NYU if I had money to blow.

Reactions: 1 user
Temple hands down and never look back. Went there for undergrad, if you have questions feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely go with Temple. NYU's a great school and I personally go there for undergrad but with a full scholarship from temple and no aid from NYU, Temple is definitely the best choice. I have many friends at Temple, and they all are enjoying it there and feel that its very safe.

Read the first bullet and stopped. Templeeeee

Take temple and dont look back. I turned down the temple program thinking about the safety concern on campus but that really shouldnt stop you as long as youre smart about where youre going and areas to avoid. NYU is more of a guarantee but I turned that down because its roughly 600-800k by the time your done (just posted about this on another thread). Congrats on both acceptances and best of luck!

NYU

...I'm just kidding. Go Temple :)

I've spoken to people in the 7 year NYU program, and they say the undergraduate sciences during the first 3 years are VERY difficult. These people are now in the dental program and are doing exceptionally well, so I know that it's not from lack of academic abilities.
Unfortunately I do not know enough about Temple to give you any information that wouldn't be worthless. But based on what you're saying, I agree with everyone here and say Temple is the better option.