NYU Required Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowAboutDAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does NYU require its students to buy a certain type of laptop or can we buy whichever we like?

Members don't see this ad.

this is what i heard from my friends in nyu... as long as the hardware meets the min requirement of the school, that will be fine!!!;)

You don't need anything fancy. It's mainly used for word processing.

You'll be required to install itunes to download the lectures, MS word, powerpoint, and pdf to read the materials. Then they'll give you a code for Vitalbook, which will contain all the "textbooks" you'll need to refer to. That's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The iPad would be awesome. I was really hoping for office on it, but unfortunately I think it is a no go. It would be great for reading textbooks, etc.

Also, I noticed that NYU wants a non 64 bit computer. Can 32 bit still be purchased. I was looking at Dell and HP and 32 bit was not an option.

the major downfall with iwork is that it lets you work with word, ppt and excel files, but it won't let you save into these formats. instead you can save into .pdf

Also, I noticed that NYU wants a non 64 bit computer. Can 32 bit still be purchased. I was looking at Dell and HP and 32 bit was not an option.

I don't understand why they want a non-64 bit computer. Somehow I don't think this is still true. Can any current students tell us if this is so?

Yeah, come to think of it, at that price range anyhow there must be much practical solutions out there than ipads.

can I pass off an Ipad?

Trust me, anyone reading this now: You do not want to bring just an iPad.

I don't go there yet, but I used to have a job as a computer salesman so I know a little bit about the subject. Sold a lot of computers to college students, and most times the people that were convinced a net book would suffice ended up returning it (and I lost my commission). The netbooks these people bought have much better stats than the iPad, and OS's actually developed for creating documents.

an iPad is just a tablet with a collection of web apps on it and has room to store media files (music, movies etc.). Also if you've ever tried to type on an iPad for longer then a few minutes you know how awful it really is - typing on an undersized keyboard with no physical buttons and is too big to thumb type.

all these people above me were just in love with it because it had just come out at the time.

I am a self-admitted apple hater, but I wouldn't advise anyone to bring any sort of tablet device to grad school with them, unless it is your secondary laptop. Even at that though, the people I've seen in libraries that are using iPads to do "work" just look like they are showing off and not getting much done.

i think im just going to get a macbook

I think iWorks app can open/edit/save as .doc :) I'm soooo excited for the new ipad!