NYU Scholarship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttobedmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does the school notify those who are awarded? Is it supposed to come in the acceptance packet?

Members don't see this ad.

I got mine in my acceptance packet, but as people turn down their scholarships (like I did), they may go back and offer them to people who have already been accepted. I'm just guessing though. Good luck.

I got mine in my acceptance packet, but as people turn down their scholarships (like I did), they may go back and offer them to people who have already been accepted. I'm just guessing though. Good luck.

do you mean turn down acceptances and not scholarships? You'd be pretty nuts to reject a scholarship

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine with the acceptance, and I did not turn it down!

If you are talking about Dean's Academic Enrichment Scholarship, it covers full tuition and the Vitalbook fees for each year. Assuming you maintain a 3.2+ GPA for 4 years, the total award will be over $220,000.

If you are talking about Dean's Academic Enrichment Scholarship, it covers full tuition and the Vitalbook fees for each year. Assuming you maintain a 3.2+ GPA for 4 years, the total award will be over $220,000.

And how does one go about getting one of these?

Some people get the offer in their acceptance packet, while others get the offer on a later date, separate from the acceptance letter (e.g. get acceptance in March and get the scholarship offer in May). At least that's how it worked a few years ago.

From what I know about those who are on the full-ride scholarship, you have to be someone who has a potential to make significant contributions to the school as a student and as an alumni. It's not something that is guaranteed for someone with a 4.0 undergrad and graduate GPA or 27 on DAT. My impression is that the selection is based upon the entire application package, and candidates are evaluated holistically.

A friend of mine got a half-tuition scholarship after D1 (i.e. he had to pay half the tuition for D2-D4 years). I believe he was the only one in my class who was offered this particular scholarship. He did some significant leadership activities.

Some people get the offer in their acceptance packet, while others get the offer on a later date, separate from the acceptance letter (e.g. get acceptance in March and get the scholarship offer in May). At least that's how it worked a few years ago.

From what I know about those who are on the full-ride scholarship, you have to be someone who has a potential to make significant contributions to the school as a student and as an alumni. It's not something that is guaranteed for someone with a 4.0 undergrad and graduate GPA or 27 on DAT. My impression is that the selection is based upon the entire application package, and candidates are evaluated holistically.

A friend of mine got a half-tuition scholarship after D1 (i.e. he had to pay half the tuition for D2-D4 years). I believe he was the only one in my class who was offered this particular scholarship. He did some significant leadership activities.

That's a great deal. I am thinking about going to NYU and if accepted take the HPSP scholarship. The only problem here is that the NYU sponsorship may come post-HPSP acceptance. And there's no leaving the HPSP program lol.

If one were to take the HPSP and then get this NYU scholarship, would NYU cut a check to the student for what HPSP paid out? I'm assuming this wouldn't happen but it never hurts to ask. You'd have quite a stylish life as a dental student, that's for sure.

If you are on the full-ride scholarship, you will just have your bills adjusted so that you will have zero dollar balance for the tuition and Vitalbook fees. I guess if your balance is zero to begin with, the adjustment will be zero… But you can still put "Dean's Academic Enrichment Scholarship" under "Honors and Awards" on your CV. Good luck.

I want one. I do. Sign me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me perform CPR in this thread. Does anyone know about these scholarships? I love NYU and of course NYC :) but the only thing that will limit me from going there is a 1/2 million dollar debt if you all know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know how many Dean scholarships are awarded each cycle?