NYU vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seraphrkd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I got accepted to NYU and BU on dec 1st and I don't have anymore interviews lined up.
So, I basically have to make a decision between these two schools.
I don't think cost would be a problem since they both are very expensive. Thus, I am trying to figure out which school would make me a better dentist at the end. I hear that NYU has a huge patient pool, great facilities, but the large class size and cost of living can be a problem. On the other hand, I hear that BU has a problem with getting patients and chairs.
I would appreciate any advice that would help me solve this dilemma.
Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I got accepted to NYU and BU on dec 1st and I don't have anymore interviews lined up.
So, I basically have to make a decision between these two schools.
I don't think cost would be a problem since they both are very expensive. Thus, I am trying to figure out which school would make me a better dentist at the end. I hear that NYU has a huge patient pool, great facilities, but the large class size and cost of living can be a problem. On the other hand, I hear that BU has a problem with getting patients and chairs.
I would appreciate any advice that would help me solve this dilemma.
Thank you so much.

BU seems to have a problem with a lot of things. I'm going to stop now before that texas guy feels the need to come to his school's rescue again lol.

Do you really want to be "that guy/girl" who had to go to BU?
Go to NYU. The only downfall is cost, but BU is just as expensive without the perks. At least you know where your money is going at NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU seems to have a problem with a lot of things. I'm going to stop now before that texas guy feels the need to come to his school's rescue again lol.

Go to NYU. The only downfall is cost, but BU is just as expensive without the perks. At least you know where your money is going at NYU.

+1 this sounds like good advice!

Are you waitlisted/rejected by BU? why so much hate?

1 )I hear that NYU has a huge patient pool, great facilities,

+1 for NYU.

but the large class size and cost of living can be a problem.

-1 for NYU.

2) On the other hand, I hear that BU has a problem with getting patients and chairs.

-1 for BU.

NYU: 0, BU: -1

Looks like you already have your answer.

NYU. BU has to compete with Tufts, Temple & perhaps even Harvard for patients and quite simply, the latter three are better schools, and I think BU patients get the short end of the stick unfortunately.

NYU. BU has to compete with Tufts, Temple & perhaps even Harvard for patients and quite simply, the latter three are better schools, and I think BU patients get the short end of the stick unfortunately.

Temple is in Philly.

1 )I hear that NYU has a huge patient pool, great facilities,

+1 for NYU.

but the large class size and cost of living can be a problem.

-1 for NYU.

2) On the other hand, I hear that BU has a problem with getting patients and chairs.

-1 for BU.

NYU: 0, BU: -1

Looks like you already have your answer.

:laugh:

I hope all these BU rumors aren't true :( I got accepted there and hope it aint as bad as everyone says :(

All I know about BU are the rumors within the dental community, and what my dental friends there say about it. 3/7 of them are currently applying to transfer to other schools. I'll let you interpret that as you will.

My vote would be for NYU.

BU for its price tag is not worth. The atmosphere in all four years feels like you are still in undergrad, you are not treated like an up and coming healthcare professional by the staff or other students, more like a freshman. A lot of people transfer, its one of the many reasons why their tuition keeps rising. Generally those that have been doing well in undergrad (type As) feel like they made the wrong decision by choosing BU and they know this right away, those that had BU as their only acceptance or those that have type B personality realize that they have not learned any valuable clinical skills by the start of their 4th year. In the end BU is disorganized like hell, and I get frustrated by the fact we have paid so much and gone through so much only to go through more crap because BU is run like mass production factory. But in the end it is the school I attend and will be the school that gives me a degree, so I write this hoping that either one of the higher ups will read, or other students that know this will help straighten this school in the future so it doesnt go in to a gutter (along with the credibility that is left on my degree).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I forgot about NYU, I have some friends that went there. They are in hole due to their debt, but I have never heard them complain about the school.

if BU is this bad why dont't they just close it?

BU has been in the loop too long. It has lots of connections in the ADA. Its parent center is well known and would never let something like that happen, protect the name at all costs.

Current BU student right here and I figured i'd throw in my 2 cents. Just a quick quip that there will always be pros and cons for every school you choose and what you get out of it is determined for the most part by the effort you put in.

BU is far from the best school out there but I wouldn't say that it's the worst school. They have made attempts at improvements over the past few years, some working better than others ( +1 for digital x-rays, -1 for clunky paperless system, +5 for the ability to book patients online instead of physically going to the school) and they make an effort to stay up to date in terms of current research and equipment.

The faculty for the most part are pretty chill and easy to approach (applies to both the didactic and preclinical/clinical faculty).

Overall, it's an OK school. But if you have a cheaper option I would take it. If you're attending BU, just keep an open mind and think positive. If you go in criticizing everything then of course it will be a crap experience for you (same concept applies to other schools).

Cheers!

For numerous reasons I would choose NYU.

One more vote for NYU here

Really would love to go here if $ was never an issue

The Dean chaired the ADA's Commission on Accreditation.
-I think it's called Revolving Door politics.

Last edited:
For the people replying to the OP, please state WHY you would choose one school over the other. (In this case mostly NYU). Lay out your thought process; that's where the help is.

Sometimes I feel SDN is the Wikipedia for dental applicants...yeah it's good for general knowledge, but a lot of times you're going to find misleading and incorrect information...i.e. Temple being in Philly, not Boston...but this is just a small example. I would take the advice given on here with a grain of salt. Ultimately your experience in dental school will be what you make of it.

For what it's worth.

Sometimes I feel SDN is the Wikipedia for dental applicants...yeah it's good for general knowledge, but a lot of times you're going to find misleading and incorrect information...i.e. Temple being in Philly, not Boston...but this is just a small example. I would take the advice given on here with a grain of salt. Ultimately your experience in dental school will be what you make of it.

For what it's worth.

cleanup is canadian... I would cut him some slack.

You can take me as an example. Canada? Where's that? Is that a fruit?

cleanup is canadian... I would cut him some slack.

You can take me as an example. Canada? Where's that? Is that a fruit?

Canada - Short for "Can of Duh"... Duh. Jeez, some people probably even think its a country! :cool:

Imagine you're in the middle of your 3rd year of dental school, and you've been treating patients for the past 5 months. Then the school decides that they're gonna change the cirriculum in the middle of the year - they eliminate all 15 credits of clinical courses that have been in progress, and replace it with a brand new single "super-course" with different grading criteria. They give you the new syllabus and an orientation in January about this new course, and all your work from the past 5 months is now being re-graded with the new scheme.

This is explicitly prohibited by the ADA's accreditation standards (std 2-3), it is also explicitly prohibited by BU Dental's own By-laws (article V, sec 1), but this is exactly what happened to our class of 2010, and typical of how the school is run.

This isn't anectode/rumor or exaggeration. Here's the e-mail from the school:

Dear Students,

Attached please find the course syllabus for
Comprehensive Clinical
Dentistry GD630. This course will replace your current
clinical courses. As
discussed with your class officers, we will host an
information session
describing this course on January 7th from 12-1 in room
302. Please read the
syllabus prior to the meeting; I expect to see all of
you there with your
questions. Pizza and sodas/water will be available.

Best regards,

Dr. Jones

Judith A. Jones, DDS,
MPH, DScD

Professor and Chair, Department of General
Dentistry

Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine

Any school that does something like this would automatically be off my list.

haha... I bet it was dominos and wasn't the good pizza (NY pizza) either. I'm curious to see how the students' view and opinion of the school changes as they enter clinic. I'll find out soon enough and will be back to report any current problems for future SDNers. ..... [edit: statement redacted]... going to wait till after I graduate to post some stuff.

Last edited:
I'm sure the student who failed that course that year and was dismissed from school (FACT) doesn't think that is so funny.

Last edited:
I have a good friend in her second year at BU, she loves it. NYU is huge and impersonal but nothing is better than NYC! Either way you'll be happy, maybe broke but happy! Congrats.

What about "that guy/girl" that had to go to NYU?

Last edited:
NYU, iam a D4 at BU read my posts cuz I think I have said quite a bit about BU.

Imagine you're in the middle of your 3rd year of dental school, and you've been treating patients for the past 5 months. Then the school decides that they're gonna change the cirriculum in the middle of the year - they eliminate all 15 credits of clinical courses that have been in progress, and replace it with a brand new single "super-course" with different grading criteria. They give you the new syllabus and an orientation in January about this new course, and all your work from the past 5 months is now being re-graded with the new scheme.

This is explicitly prohibited by the ADA's accreditation standards (std 2-3), it is also explicitly prohibited by BU Dental's own By-laws (article V, sec 1), but this is exactly what happened to our class of 2010, and typical of how the school is run.

This isn't anectode/rumor or exaggeration. Here's the e-mail from the school:

Any school that does something like this would automatically be off my list.

Ex post facto?...

That's just unconstitutional...