NYU vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShrekDonkeyNetwork

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off the waitlist at NYU and now I am deciding between these two relatively similar schools and wanted to see what folks' thought. I don't really have a preference financial or otherwise- they both seem great. Below are my impressions. Thoughts?

NYU
Pros:
trending up,
bellevue hospital
students seem chiller

Cons:
less established/recognized

Cornell
Pros:
Better research opportunities at sloan kettering and rockefeller
Better residency prospects?

Cons:
worse institutional trajectory
ivy personalities?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU MS4 here... I'm probably biased... but I would definitely say NYU. First off, Cornell is in a way more expensive part of town, so you either pay more in rent, or will have to live elsewhere and probably take the subway (or even ferry)... wrt residency positions, I think when you're talking about schools like NYU and Cornell, there is a point of diminishing return where it doesn't really matter what school you go to... if you get a good step score and put in the work wrt research, you will get into whatever residency you want... NYU has a good amount of Ivy personalities too, that's basically going to be every school in NY except for maybe New York Med and the upstate schools... I have friends at Cornell and Columbia and hangout at both a lot, I feel like on aggregate, ppl at NYU are more chill, but compared to west coast schools, people still have more uptight tendencies... I don't think your concern for NYU being less established is very relevant... that would be like saying UCLA is less established than UCSF... sure it doesn't have the same pedigree, but no residency director is going to scoff at a UCLA or an NYU... I think if you're set on orthopedics or rad onc, I would go for Cornell, otherwise you'll probably be happier with NYU

I always wondered how I would make my decision if I was forced to choose between the Manhattan schools. My impression is that Weill has the edge when it comes to research opportunities, while NYU has the edge in clinical training because of Bellevue, although both schools are obviously world class in both the research and clinical sides.

Personally I think I’d go with Cornell because of my interests/the more established name (their low rating on US news is a testament to how messed up that rating system really is imo). But I think you could honestly flip a coin to decide and end up happy no matter where you went because of how great both schools are. Let us know what you pick!

I think if you're set on orthopedics or rad onc, I would go for Cornell

Im guessing you say this because of Cornell’s affiliation with Sloan/HSS?

Reactions: 1 user
I would say Cornell. I think their research opportunities are superior and I also think their clinical training is superior. They have the best clinical training sites in HSS/Sloan/NYP. I hope when you are referencing trajectory your not talking about USNWR because the fact that Cornell dropped on there doesn’t mean a thing. The way they rank on there does not fully capture the true ranking and quality of a school. Just look at the match list for Cornell and you’ll see

Members don't see this ad :)
There really isn't any difference between the strength of clinical training and research between the two schools that would affect you as a medical student. Go where you fit in the best and can have the easiest living.

NYU isn't exactly less recognized either, they have a ton of top residency programs, probably more than Cornell.

I always wondered how I would make my decision if I was forced to choose between the Manhattan schools. My impression is that Weill has the edge when it comes to research opportunities, while NYU has the edge in clinical training because of Bellevue, although both schools are obviously world class in both the research and clinical sides.

Personally I think I’d go with Cornell because of my interests/the more established name (their low rating on US news is a testament to how messed up that rating system really is imo). But I think you could honestly flip a coin to decide and end up happy no matter where you went because of how great both schools are. Let us know what you pick!

Im guessing you say this because of Cornell’s affiliation with Sloan/HSS?

yup

I think rent wise both schools are about the same, since housing is heavily subsidized at cornell and i dont think anyone is commuting to cornell from staten island nor anyone ever should do it.

Of course NYU! It's ranked higher and is trending up in almost everything, as you say. I feel like the housing situation is slightly better here at NYU, at least it is for me. Also, bobcats > bears!

I would say Cornell for sure. You will have amazing research opportunities surrounded by Rockefeller University and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. The NYP hospital network is also #1 in the region. It's always interesting to see people mention limited clinical training opportunities at Cornell when students there can train at multiple hospitals (NYP, NYP Queens, NYP Downtown, Brooklyn Methodist, and MSK + HSS). The school also has a partnership with a hospital in Texas and Cayuga Medical in upstate NY if you are interested in rural medicine.

As for institutional trajectory.... NYU mostly has itself for research. If Weill Cornell is allowed to include Rockefeller and MSK, I would not be surprised if it is ranked top 5 in the nation.

But finally, none of this may matter if you don't feel like you fit in with the community. If you like the people at Cornell, then join Cornell. If you like the people at NYU, then join NYU. When I chose the medical school, I spent a lot of time talking with current students. I suggest you do the same and see how people spend their days and free time.

if you want to go into research, I would choose Cornell without hesitation. Also, if you want to match outside of East Cost, Cornell I think has an edge. If you want to get accelerated MD from a great place with great facilities and practice in East Cost, I would go NYU.

Curious as well. Obviously in hindsight, you should have run with NYU due to free tuition. It would suck if OP choose Cornell.