NYU vs. Stony Brook ---> SB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete6277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. If you had to choose between these two, where would you go? I need to decide but am really confused as both are great schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

comes down to money if you like both programs.
remember that you will have good days and bad days....and very bad days. if the city life is what you need to unwind and enjoy life after a rough day at school and dont mind paying for it, NYU. But if money is a concern and you like stony brook, go there.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always been a believer of go with what your gut is telling you, happiness should be your deciding factor so, yes $ is an important factor but not as big as where you think you'll be happiest and which school fits your needs/desires most.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with your decision as both are great choices!!

Thanks. I'm going to consider all the factors and try my best to decide the best school. Still a hard task. :thinking:

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony all the way man. This is coming from
Someone who would take ur stony spot in seconds lol.

Do you plan on living at home and mooch off parents? If yes you can cut expenses to 320-330k which won't be far off of going away to stony.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Stony all the way man. This is coming from
Someone who would take ur stony spot in seconds lol.

Do you plan on living at home and mooch off parents? If yes you can cut expenses to 320-330k which won't be far off of going away to stony.
Yes I plan on living with my parents and the commute, if I remember when I drove to my interview at stony, was about 40 min max

As a Columbia student who has met many students from both schools, I have to say Stony Brook all the way, man.

1). Excellent biomedical curriculum. NYU doesn't even do anatomy lab anymore. (Talk about a red flag...where does all of that NYU tuition money even go?)
2) Significantly cheaper.
3) Great reputation.
4) Happier students. Do you want a smaller, supportive environment, or a competitive one where administrators fail out the bottom of the D1&2 classes?

I've never heard a bad word said about Stony. On the other hand, while NYU does produce great clinicians, it also has produced many miserable people. As a matter of fact, if I were in your position and NYU offered me a $200,000 scholarship, I would still choose Stony.

As a Columbia student who has met many students from both schools, I have to say Stony Brook all the way, man.

1). Excellent biomedical curriculum. NYU doesn't even do anatomy lab anymore. (Talk about a red flag...where does all of that NYU tuition money even go?)
2) Significantly cheaper.
3) Great reputation.
4) Happier students. Do you want a smaller, supportive environment, or a competitive one where administrators fail out the bottom of the D1&2 classes?

I've never heard a bad word said about Stony. On the other hand, while NYU does produce great clinicians, it also has produced many miserable people. As a matter of fact, if I were in your position and NYU offered me a $200,000 scholarship, I would still choose Stony.
That's a great explanation. My friends and family are also suggesting stony brook. Really appreciate your feed back.

What are your interests in NYU over Stony anyway?

I've always been a believer of go with what your gut is telling you, happiness should be your deciding factor so, yes $ is an important factor but not as big as where you think you'll be happiest and which school fits your needs/desires most.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with your decision as both are great choices!!

I went from living in NYC, surrounded by a loving family, nice group of friends, to moving to Buffalo. I'm very happy here. As cliche as it may sound, happiness is a state of mind. You find new things to appreciate, new people to grow close too. You explore new avenues, make new memories and learn to appreciate a new set of circumstances for a few years.

The "happier" choice would have been to stay to NYU, be close to everything and everyone I loved. Even had a great relationship that started back then too. But UB gave me an opportunity I couldn't pass up. It was more affordable and I knew I could get extremely close housing to the campus at a steal, unlike commuting to NYU.

I made monthly trips home during first year of DS. Second year, a bit more difficult. And that relationship? Almost 3 years strong, long distance for almost 2 years. So choosing the "happy"route isn't always sound advice. Because that advice would put him in a class of +300 students, when he has a much more smaller class size with Stony. And that happiness advice would actually cost him $200-300 0 a month in interest alone during the 1st year. It would actually ballon to $400 by 3-4th year if my memory serves me correctly from my spread sheet. And that was me just living at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What are your interests in NYU over Stony anyway?
I liked both the schools. Both schools offer good programs. So that's why I was confused. I am considering important factors such as tuition and transportation along with some others and that's why leaning more towards stony brook.

Really appreciate your feedback. This difficult decision is not difficult anymore. But if anyone has any more feedback, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys. :corny:

Last edited: