Stony Brook VS Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ksmith04

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am deciding between Stony Brook and Rutgers.

Stony Brook
Pros:
- In-state tuition
- Good for specializing
- Research opportunities

Cons
- I have heard rumors that the administration is having issues
- Integrated biomedical curriculum
- Further from home
- Small class size (this isn't a deal breaker for me)

Rutgers:
Pros
- Medium class size
- Abundance of patients
- Closer to home
- Research opportunities
Cons
- I’ve heard that the clinical requirements are too high, and students worry about graduating on time
- I am concerned about the safety and can’t see myself living in a city
- Out of state for the first year

Being close to home is important to me. Rutgers is two hours closer. The faculty who interviewed me at Stony Brook seemed fantastic. The student who interviewed me at Stony was rude, picked their fingernails the entire time, and ignored what I was saying, which was very off-putting. The students we were able to talk to during interview day at Stony seemed unhappy, much more than other schools where I interviewed, and this might have been due to how they scheduled the interview day. It seemed like the students were in between classes and just wanted to get back on with their day, which I can understand. The students at Rutgers seemed nice and liked it, but they kept saying that they felt the clinical aspect was too rigorous. I think I want to specialize, and Stony Brook would probably be better for that. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am deciding between Stony Brook and Rutgers.

Stony Brook
Pros:
- In-state tuition
- Good for specializing
- Research opportunities

Cons
- I have heard rumors that the administration is having issues
- Integrated biomedical curriculum
- Further from home
- Small class size (this isn't a deal breaker for me)

Rutgers:
Pros
- Medium class size
- Abundance of patients
- Closer to home
- Research opportunities
Cons
- I’ve heard that the clinical requirements are too high, and students worry about graduating on time
- I am concerned about the safety and can’t see myself living in a city
- Out of state for the first year

Being close to home is important to me. Rutgers is two hours closer. The faculty who interviewed me at Stony Brook seemed fantastic. The student who interviewed me at Stony was rude, picked their fingernails the entire time, and ignored what I was saying, which was very off-putting. The students we were able to talk to during interview day at Stony seemed unhappy, much more than other schools where I interviewed, and this might have been due to how they scheduled the interview day. It seemed like the students were in between classes and just wanted to get back on with their day, which I can understand. The students at Rutgers seemed nice and liked it, but they kept saying that they felt the clinical aspect was too rigorous. I think I want to specialize, and Stony Brook would probably be better for that. Thanks for your help!
Stony Brook has some of the highest admissions standards of all the dental schools, usually a pretty good sign.