Stony Brook (IS) vs. Buffalo (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocolinenut

Reaction score
School 1: Stony Brook (IS)
Pros:
  • Closer to home, about 1.5 hours away (I live by NYC)
  • Small class size (about 46 people)
  • Cheap tuition (SUNY school)
  • Great specialization rates
  • Strong clinically
  • Had the best interview experience there
Cons:
  • Rent more expensive
  • Med school curriculum (same classes with med students in D1)
  • Hard to get around without a car
  • School is only 1 floor (very small)
School 2: Buffalo (IS)
Pros:
  • Cheap rent (they have a lot of student apartments)
  • No med school curriculum
  • Went here for undergrad (very familiar with the school)
  • Larger class size (95- but it’s not too bad)
  • Newer facilities (they’ve been renovating each floors)
Cons:
  • Ranked
  • 6 hours away from home (far from family)
  • Bad weather (very snowy)
Summary: For context, I’m a NY resident. I’m grateful to have been accepted by both SUNY schools which are my top choices. I’m still having a hard time choosing which one. Also, I won’t really have a car until my 2nd/3rd year, so I go to Stony, I would spend a lot of time commuting when I could be studying. For Buffalo, they have student apartments there that have shuttles that go straight to the school. It’s just more convenient. Can someone give me advice which dental program is better? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: Stony Brook (IS)
Pros:
  • Closer to home, about 1.5 hours away (I live by NYC)
  • Small class size (about 46 people)
  • Cheap tuition (SUNY school)
  • Great specialization rates
  • Strong clinically
  • Had the best interview experience there
Cons:
  • Rent more expensive
  • Med school curriculum (same classes with med students in D1)
  • Hard to get around without a car
  • School is only 1 floor (very small)
School 2: Buffalo (IS)
Pros:
  • Cheap rent (they have a lot of student apartments)
  • No med school curriculum
  • Went here for undergrad (very familiar with the school)
  • Larger class size (95- but it’s not too bad)
  • Newer facilities (they’ve been renovating each floors)
Cons:
  • Ranked
  • 6 hours away from home (far from family)
  • Bad weather (very snowy)
Summary: For context, I’m a NY resident. I’m grateful to have been accepted by both SUNY schools which are my top choices. I’m still having a hard time choosing which one. Also, I won’t really have a car until my 2nd/3rd year, so I go to Stony, I would spend a lot of time commuting when I could be studying. For Buffalo, they have student apartments there that have shuttles that go straight to the school. It’s just more convenient. Can someone give me advice which dental program is better? Thank you!!
what's the price difference?
are friends/significant others going to be in buffalo still?

How are you going to be graded at SB? Separate or combined with the med students?

Climate change is making living in Buffalo either less snowy than 10+ years ago, or when there's snow, you won't be going to school (9-foot snow drop!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony student here. If you have questions send me a DM.

Better medical knowledge translates to better understanding and management of medically complex patients.

It’s also important for people pursuing OMFS because you will experience the same content and question styles that will appear on the CBSE. It also makes the dental boards a breeze.

It was challenging but manageable and I felt that it benefitted me a lot. (I went to SB)

Reactions: 4 users
what's the price difference?
are friends/significant others going to be in buffalo still?
tuition is about the same. the only difference would prob be cost of living. stony is more expensive than buffalo. most of my friends already graduated from buffalo so most of them are working around NYC. my significant other also lives in Long Island (which is p close to stony).

tuition is about the same. the only difference would prob be cost of living. stony is more expensive than buffalo. most of my friends already graduated from buffalo so most of them are working around NYC. my significant other also lives in Long Island (which is p close to stony).
closer to sig other prob wins...

Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure Stony Brook is closer to Long Island than Buffalo. Presuming your relationship status is closer to commitment than casual... you could probably more easily get an affordable apartment in Buffalo to live together... propose at the Falls...

Up to you. I think you need a car in Buffalo, but I think there is still Uber. Our society is an Amazon/Doordash delivery society now. Best grocery shopping market in the US (Wegmans, Tops, close to Canada so lots of international grocery items).

The area around stony brook is very wooded. A huge pro is getting to see the cute forest puppies on your drive home. :)