NYU vs. UOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyra

Reaction score
Okay, this may be a no-brainer for many of you, but I am personally having a difficult time deciding between NYU and UOP.
I’m a CA resident so UOP would be the smarter choice, but I loved NYU and the city when I interviewed, despite the many negative opinions regarding the school. I’m very outgoing and went to a large university so the large class size at NYU is a plus for me.
I love that Nyu has such a diverse student body, but I love the family atmosphere at Uop and that they are so clinically focused and graduate some of the best/most confident dentists in only 3 years.
I think what’s making it so difficult is that I’ve always hoped to live in Nyc and this will be my only opportunity to do so, which I know isn’t a great reason.
Some other factors - I have close family in both Nyc and Sf, and I am considering specializing.
I would really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, this may be a no-brainer for many of you, but I am personally having a difficult time deciding between NYU and UOP.
I’m a CA resident so UOP would be the smarter choice, but I loved NYU and the city when I interviewed, despite the many negative opinions regarding the school. I’m very outgoing and went to a large university so the large class size at NYU is a plus for me.
I love that Nyu has such a diverse student body, but I love the family atmosphere at Uop and that they are so clinically focused and graduate some of the best/most confident dentists in only 3 years.
I think what’s making it so difficult is that I’ve always hoped to live in Nyc and this will be my only opportunity to do so, which I know isn’t a great reason.
Some other factors - I have close family in both Nyc and Sf, and I am considering specializing.

Hey ! It really depends what you want more in life. Yes NYU is expensive but NYU has also given you an opportunity to live another dream of yours and thats to be in the city. It also depends on what kind of person you are

If youre the type of person who wants to experience another city before the whole getting married and having kids and settling, then choose NYC. If you're okay being away from family and making new friends that can be your family and exploring life then maybe NYU is best

But if your like others who already have a life where they are and want to keep that life then choose the school that allows you to maintain these relationships

Everyone on this page will say NYU is terrible because its so expensive and that its a school that doesnt support its students. But NYU is a school with unlimited opportunities but only if your the type of student who chases them. if your goal is to get average grades and just blend in NYU isnt for you.

Overall, choose the school that will make you happy and that 10 years later you wont regret anything.

I am considering specializing.
Do SDN a favor. Go to NYU and rack up $650,000 in student loans. Then I want you to go on to specialize to take that loan balance up to $900,000 between the accrued interest and tuition. After you have a panic attack when you realize you owe almost a million dollars in student loans, I want you to come back on here and tell the predents that you absolutely regret your career decision, as you now have to earn over $80,000/year just to cover your student loan interest. Never mind ever paying back the principle.

Doesn’t it alarm you that it’s only predents telling you to “follow your dreams,” while all the practicing dentists almost unanimously say go to the cheapest school? Think about that for a minute.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
which I know isn’t a great reason.

Enough said. Go to the cheaper school and put yourself in a position to be successful enough as a dentist to where you can take as many trips to NYC as you'd like.

Btw I'm a pre-dent, so now it's not only practicing dentists telling you to be smart.

If you were looking for a med-school, NYU all the way, but for dental school, don’t just go to the cheapest school; quality matters, and where you went for training will be taken into consideration by some patients. With that being said, I think you should try to get into a dental school somewhere in the middle: decent quality and decent price. Now, I think you should choose UOP being that NYU dental is ridiculously overpriced, BUT, if you can afford it, then yes, choose NYU since that’s what your heart seems to want. NYU dental costs about $750k. Specializing will inevitably drown you in student loan debt worth an excess of $1M. I love NYU too, so I understand where you’re coming from. Lastly, take into consideration what you’re going to be doing after dental school. Are you going to stop at dentist or are you going to specialize? If you plan to specialize, you’ll have a greater chance of paying off that NYU debt in a good amount of time since the specialty pay is more.

If you were looking for a med-school, NYU all the way, but for dental school, don’t just go to the cheapest school; quality matters, and where you went for training will be taken into consideration by some patients. With that being said, I think you should try to get into a dental school somewhere in the middle: decent quality and decent price. Now, I think you should choose UOP being that NYU dental is ridiculously overpriced, BUT, if you can afford it, then yes, choose NYU since that’s what your heart seems to want. NYU dental costs about $750k. Specializing will inevitably drown you in student loan debt worth an excess of $1M. I love NYU too, so I understand where you’re coming from. Lastly, take into consideration what you’re going to be doing after dental school. Are you going to stop at dentist or are you going to specialize? If you plan to specialize, you’ll have a greater chance of paying off that NYU debt in a good amount of time since the specialty pay is more.
Poor advice. Most patients don’t care where you graduated as long as you can give painless injection (pun). As per quality, yes some schools are better but eventually if one is ok, they all end up evening out clinically. At one million, even after specializing, it will be hard to pay that off. That’s one million that is growing at 5-7% every second.

Reactions: 2 users
Poor advice. Most patients don’t care where you graduated as long as you can give painless injection (pun). As per quality, yes some schools are better but eventually if one is ok, they all end up evening out clinically. At one million, even after specializing, it will be hard to pay that off. That’s one million that is growing at 5-7% every second.

Looks like someone needs a reading lesson, snob. I said “some.” Patients deciding on a doctor based on his or her education is a reality. That happens and it should be taken into consideration by any aspiring doctor. Higher quality colleges also open doors to lucrative networks. I guess you aren’t thinking ahead. Poor advice.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
I live in NYC. I love NYC.

Go to UoP. In certain situations I think going to the more expensive school is worth it. Yours is not one of them.

Looks like someone needs a reading lesson, snob. I said “some.” Patients deciding on a doctor based on his or her education is a reality. That happens and it should be taken into consideration by any aspiring doctor. Higher quality colleges also open doors to lucrative networks. I guess you aren’t thinking ahead. Poor advice.
Your comment is not that credible giving you only have two posts. Higher quality colleges also open doors to lucrative networks. lol... that's probably right half of the time, highly depending on the major. Sure, patients can decide on a doctor base on where they graduated. But talking to other colleagues and senior dentists, they haven't encountered that many, if not, handful that cared where one graduated. Patients usually care more about the experience and the quality of work that you have done. You are probably either a dentist that is only been in academics or only thing you have going on is the school name. Actually, you are not even a dentist. lol. Discussion closed.

Reactions: 1 users
Your comment is not that credible giving you only have two posts. Higher quality colleges also open doors to lucrative networks. lol... that's probably right half of the time, highly depending on the major. Sure, patients can decide on a doctor base on where they graduated. But talking to other colleagues and senior dentists, they haven't encountered that many, if not, handful that cared where one graduated. Patients usually care more about the experience and the quality of work that you have done. You are probably either a dentist that is only been in academics or only thing you have going on is the school name. Actually, you are not even a dentist. lol. Discussion closed.
Basing my credibility on the amount of posts I have? I see where your measly biases lie, and they are way miscalculated. You should check yourself before judging someone based on what’s outside. Besides that (honestly, it shows poor character from you, but to each their own), like I said, patients being bougie is a reality and yes, higher quality colleges—like the guy above mentioned—can land people into pretty nice networks whether or not it has to do with dentistry. Am I a dentist? No. I’m actually a student. Sorry to say, but if you keep dodging reality, you’re going to stay low. I’d rather be the best of the best than be anything else (I’m not saying that lower level colleges produce weak students; absolutely untrue. I’m just trying to tell the OP, hey, if you want increase your chances of being well off, try getting into the big leagues). So long.

Basing my credibility on the amount of posts I have? I see where your measly biases lie, and they are way miscalculated. You should check yourself before judging someone based on what’s outside. Besides that (honestly, it shows poor character from you, but to each their own), like I said, patients being bougie is a reality and yes, higher quality colleges—like the guy above mentioned—can land people into pretty nice networks whether or not it has to do with dentistry. Am I a dentist? No. I’m actually a student. Sorry to say, but if you keep dodging reality, you’re going to stay low. I’d rather be the best of the best than be anything else (I’m not saying that lower level colleges produce weak students; absolutely untrue. I’m just trying to tell the OP, hey, if you want increase your chances of being well off, try getting into the big leagues). So long.
Yikes, this is the most misinformed post I have seen in a long time, I question whether this is a genuine post or simply well executed trolling.

Reactions: 6 users
Everyone said the obvious point about earlier graduation and the cost so I'll give you my opinion on other things.

A lot of pre-dents want to go to NYU because of the NYC lifestyle, although I understand, this is a bad time to be in NYC right now due to Coronavirus. You can always come back to NY for post-grad residency if you really want to experience NYC life.

As far as specialization goes, I think UOP has a post-grad residency at the school so you can always visit and get a recommendation if you'd like. I don't think you'll be disadvantaged because you attended UOP, only the class rank will matter. NYU has 400 students per class, competing against 400 students for top spots will be really tough. You can do it, but if you want to be a gunner, you likely won't have free time to explore NYC, which is one of the reasons you want to go to NYU anyways.

NYU does have a diverse student body, but it's also 400 students. Chances are, you won't even get to talk to a lot of your classmates because you will get separated into groups and have your own cliques.

As far as connection like the poster above has mentioned, I did hear that NYU grads get some connections and get a job right out of school. But you can do this at any dental school, you just have to search for them and network.