NYU vs Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoangJR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to find out some pros and cons about each program to help me decide between the two. I appreciate everyone's input in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a same debate now... I was for sure wanting to go to NYU (as you can see from my sdn login id),, but I really liked WesternU also after I received acceptance call from the school. I researched the WesternU area for apartment, and it wasn't really bad at all (although the school is located at a little shady area..), I don't think a lot of Western students live at Pomona any way. I heard most students communte by their car (10 min distance), so I was thinking I can drive my car whenever and whereever I need to go.
So,, here is my pros and cons about the schools. (and this is just my personal opinion :)

- Pros
NYU: school's name value, and long history with many alumni.. (for me this is only reason, and location is not even pro for me.)
WesternU: small class size,, pretty new facilities.

- Cons
NYU: too many people in the school and also the city. Whenever I'm thinking about taking an elevator for class everyday, I'm sighing. And little bit more expensive living cost.
WesternU: nobody (my people) knows about the school, so they thought that's the least popular dental school. And not many alumni.

I think I like WesternU over NYU, but my people and most people likes NYU over WesternU.
So, I am still debating... :(

Last edited:
another con (imo) of western u is that it has too much of a ''strip mall'' vibe. it doesn't give off that professional school atmosphere.

and another thing which still bugs me until this day, is that i have no idea of what the clinic looks like. i think it definitely would have weighed into my decision...regardless of how nice as it may be, it would be pretty hard to top NYU's clinic.

It's nice lol all I can say because as you can expect w. new clinics. Organized well with alot of space per "practice"

I have a same debate now... I was for sure wanting to go to NYU (as you can see from my sdn login id),, but I really liked WesternU also after I received acceptance call from the school. I researched the WesternU area for apartment, and it wasn't really bad at all (although the school is located at a little shady area..), I don't think a lot of Western students live at Pomona any way. I heard most students communte by their car (10 min distance), so I was thinking I can drive my car whenever and whereever I need to go.
So,, here is my pros and cons about the schools. (and this is just my personal opinion :)

- Pros
NYU: school's name value, and long history with many alumni.. (for me this is only reason, and location is not even pro for me.)
WesternU: small class size,, pretty new facilities.

- Cons
NYU: too many people in the school and also the city. Whenever I'm thinking about taking an elevator for class everyday, I'm sighing. And little bit more expensive living cost.
WesternU: nobody (my people) knows about the school, so they thought that's the least popular dental school. And not many alumni.

I think I like WesternU over NYU, but my people and most people likes NYU over WesternU.
So, I am still debating... :(
Yesss. All my same concerns. For me though, it's not so much about the school name and recognition, rather I want to be in an area where I will enjoy for the next four years as well as prepare me for my future ahead. I know in NYU there will be no fighting for patients and you will get exposure to a lot of dentistry. I'm not so sure about western though...

Members don't see this ad :)
another con (imo) of western u is that it has too much of a ''strip mall'' vibe. it doesn't give off that professional school atmosphere.

and another thing which still bugs me until this day, is that i have no idea of what the clinic looks like. i think it definitely would have weighed into my decision...regardless of how nice as it may be, it would be pretty hard to top NYU's clinic.

I had the opportunity to tour the clinic and it was nice just like all new clinics. I'm still sad that you don't get your own chair......the only con that I can say about the school.

I dont think nyu students have their own chairs either. But maybe im wrong..
And ill probably visit western again during my spring break to tour clinic with my parents.
So ill see the clinic and ask more question during the tour.

Last edited: