NYU Waitlist 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey what does "bump" mean? j/w. I am on NYU's wait list too, since about March... I'm a reapplicant and interviewed there last year too. I am in graduate school in a biomedical sciences program which I am almost done with and will have my master's degree after one more summer course. I really want to go to NYU and am patiently waiting on the list, hoping that I can be as fortunate as some of you who have received calls that led to offers for acceptance. If anyone has any other advice on what I could do at this point to increase the probability that I can successfully make that transition from waitlist --> in, that would be awesome. All of my graduate fall course grades are not in yet, so that is the first thing I know I must send them once they are in, but aside from that I am willing to do anything possible that will get me in. I may be reapplying for AADSAS 2008 early, but I would rather not wait another year since I'll have this new degree shortly and am ready to start ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone got call from NYU recently ? or turned down an offer ?

i'm IN at NYUCD... :) called today and was told that they would like to make an offer....

so as of now, i'm NYUCD 2011 :)

good luck everyone..more spots will open soon.

jb!:)

Congrats JB!

Members don't see this ad :)
nobody new on the wait list has gotten any calls/offers from NYU and accepted or denied them?? Just wandering if there's been any recent movement because nobody has posted anything about it..

It seems like NYU is probably full or they're making decisions on who to accept off the waiting list.

Good luck, a lot of us are still waiting!

It seems like NYU is probably full or they're making decisions on who to accept off the waiting list.

Good luck, a lot of us are still waiting!

NYU has been full for some time & has been selecting applicants from the waitlist as seats become available.

hang tight & best of luck to you.. jb!:)

Oh gosh I hope I get in!

Do not understand why they interviewed me so late to be ON the waitlist. I heard the waitlist is going thru pretty fast. Although they have a problem. They have given out more acceptances than there are spots. Don't get it I tell you. I really wanna go to NYUCD now. Since it is my ONLY shot to get in this Sept. Do or die. LOL

i called in yesterday...they were still interviewin some other ppl cz the guy was like the director is givin a tour right now...WTF?!?!??!!

Oh gosh I hope I get in!

Do not understand why they interviewed me so late to be ON the waitlist. I heard the waitlist is going thru pretty fast. Although they have a problem. They have given out more acceptances than there are spots. Don't get it I tell you. I really wanna go to NYUCD now. Since it is my ONLY shot to get in this Sept. Do or die. LOL

WTF? who did you hear this from?

Hmm..... all the more reason for them to let me defer. Interesting. Still thinking about it, but if they are over-full then they probably wouldn't have a problem giving me a seat for next year.

Oh gosh I hope I get in!

I do not think it is unusual for schools to give out more acceptances than spots, though I guess it varies with the school and their history of the number of accepted applicants that turn down a spot at their school. From what I read on the Case thread, the Case admissions committee may have miscalculated the number of accepted applicants who did not turn down spots. Now that is a problem!

We all stress about getting in, should we put down a deposit here and go somewhere else (ok, so some people worry about that). Being on the admissions side of things has to be pretty rough too. If you only offer as many acceptances as you have spots, you will have to fill more spots later in the season when people switch. Still, that's why they have a waitlist right?

We all stress about getting in, should we put down a deposit here and go somewhere else (ok, so some people worry about that). Being on the admissions side of things has to be pretty rough too. If you only offer as many acceptances as you have spots, you will have to fill more spots later in the season when people switch. Still, that's why they have a waitlist right?

I think the waitlist is used to fill some holes in the class made by the occasional accepted applicant who, at the last minute, turns down his or her spot; but, I do not think the admissions committee wants to use the waitlist as a wholesale pool to fill large gaps in the class.

What I wonder is whether or not the admissions committee feels that there is a significant discrepancy in qualifications between the top and bottom of their waitlist, and therefore will continue to interview for the waitlist to lessen the disparity?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the waitlist is used to fill some holes in the class made by the occasional accepted applicant who, at the last minute, turns down his or her spot; but, I do not think the admissions committee wants to use the waitlist as a wholesale pool to fill large gaps in the class.

What I wonder is whether or not the admissions committee feels that there is a significant discrepancy in qualifications between the top and bottom of their waitlist, and therefore will continue to interview for the waitlist to lessen the disparity?

What kind of Discrepency Toothache? How is the waitlisted judged. Is it based on best applicant after they review the waitlist file? Or is it first come first serve basis? I was interviewed there last week actually for the waitlist and would like to know my chances.

I do not think it is unusual for schools to give out more acceptances than spots, though I guess it varies with the school and their history of the number of accepted applicants that turn down a spot at their school. From what I read on the Case thread, the Case admissions committee may have miscalculated the number of accepted applicants who did not turn down spots. Now that is a problem!

Hey Jack, the interviewer told me himself. ALthough I dont think he is in charge of it. And the people who called to interview me last week told me that the waitlist is moving pretty quickly and so they are interviewing for the waitlist? Make any sense?

Hey, I just read someone was thinking about defering their offer for next year...I was wondering how that worked??? Because I kind of wanted to take a year off but don't want to have to reapply since I've already gotten in. Anyone care to give me details, I know case does it but I didn't know NYU did to. Thanks.

What kind of Discrepency Toothache? How is the waitlisted judged. Is it based on best applicant after they review the waitlist file? Or is it first come first serve basis? I was interviewed there last week actually for the waitlist and would like to know my chances.

Honestly, I have no clue how the admissions committees determine who to select from their waiting lists. However, if most admissions is done on a rolling basis, then applicants who are periodically placed on the waiting list may have different stats early versus late in the admission cycle. I am guessing that until the committee interviews all their applicants, they are not sure what type of applicants they have in their pool. So near the end of the cycle, the waiting list may consist of applicants with good stats as well as applicants with even better stats (but not necessarily outstanding stats). That would be the discrepancy which may cause the school to continue to interview very late in the cycle, i.e. to find more applicants with even better stats. Again, it is just a guess.

Hey Toothdecay,

Yea I donno why they interviewed so late. I think it was just because they were getting thru the waitlist very fast. So they wanted to keep more people on file?

My stats are decent I guess. He said he was impressed by my stats. I just really really wanna go to NYU. It would be a dream come true for me. I've been beaten left right n centre. And i dont get why. Im canadian, so this year we have our double co hart year graduating and none of my freinds or anyone that i know of got into any school in canada. Everybody is going abroad or doing their masters. Most people going to the carribbean.

So, as you can see, its been super tough on me. Ive worked my ass off. Gotten 90's in my last two years for nothing. Don't seem to understand it. Very bizzare. :(

Hey Toothdecay,

Yea I donno why they interviewed so late. I think it was just because they were getting thru the waitlist very fast. So they wanted to keep more people on file?

My stats are decent I guess. He said he was impressed by my stats. I just really really wanna go to NYU. It would be a dream come true for me. I've been beaten left right n centre. And i dont get why. Im canadian, so this year we have our double co hart year graduating and none of my freinds or anyone that i know of got into any school in canada. Everybody is going abroad or doing their masters. Most people going to the carribbean.

So, as you can see, its been super tough on me. Ive worked my ass off. Gotten 90's in my last two years for nothing. Don't seem to understand it. Very bizzare. :(

Here is hoping that you get your heart's desire.

Hey CANGirl,

dont worry ......keep ur fingers crossed......i am from vancouver and dint get into any of the canadian schools and then i was placed in the waiting list of NYU since dec 1st and finally got in on May 11th...i know it is stressful but dont worry be positive and you will hear good news soon.
take care and good luck

Hey Toothdecay,

damn. I interviewed with NYU back in October of '06 and I am still on the waiting list!! I feel like they're calling everyone on SDN except for me! I hope people are still being called because it seems that mostly everyone who got off the waitlist got the call a couple of weeks ago.

damn. I interviewed with NYU back in October of '06 and I am still on the waiting list!! I feel like they're calling everyone on SDN except for me! I hope people are still being called because it seems that mostly everyone who got off the waitlist got the call a couple of weeks ago.

Jondoe, I hope I'm wrong, but everyone who got called so far has a 21+ AA, but a few 20's! I have yet to see an 18-19 person get called, but we're still in the game. I've started preparing for next cycle and re-taking the DAT's ugh. Good luck to you & the rest, we'll make it!

Hey CANGirl,

dont worry ......keep ur fingers crossed......i am from vancouver and dint get into any of the canadian schools and then i was placed in the waiting list of NYU since dec 1st and finally got in on May 11th...i know it is stressful but dont worry be positive and you will hear good news soon.
take care and good luck

Thanks hardil, your the best! :)

Just curiosity, what were your stats? Im sitting at without my last semester of 89 % gpa at 3.63 overall and 3.78 sci. Im prolly at 3.65 with sci now and prolly 3.81 with sci. And Canadian dat RC 17 BIOL 20 CHEM 21 SCI 20 AA 19 PAT 20 and Carving 26.

The guy who interviewed me said he loved me. He wants me at nyu and told me that he would personally get me in for next years class. He said though im on the waiting game for this year as seats become available. He isnt in charge of admissions but gave me an outstanding interview report. Im hoping it helps.. I just hope they look thru my application and see my stats and my interview comments.

And **** i wonder if the American Dat is easier because i wrote the OAT which is identical to the american DAT and scored in the 97.8% percentile overall. It was computerized. I wish I could somehow show that report to the DAT people....LIFE SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS as for now.. :p

hi,

i wrote the american DAT and canadian...thought the american one was easier....but everyone has different view...though my friends who gave the DAT agree with me....but ur score isnt bad at all trust me...cross ur fingers ...u should hear from them........

Thanks hardil, your the best! :)

Just curiosity, what were your stats? Im sitting at without my last semester of 89 % gpa at 3.63 overall and 3.78 sci. Im prolly at 3.65 with sci now and prolly 3.81 with sci. And Canadian dat RC 17 BIOL 20 CHEM 21 SCI 20 AA 19 PAT 20 and Carving 26.

The guy who interviewed me said he loved me. He wants me at nyu and told me that he would personally get me in for next years class. He said though im on the waiting game for this year as seats become available. He isnt in charge of admissions but gave me an outstanding interview report. Im hoping it helps.. I just hope they look thru my application and see my stats and my interview comments.

hey what does "bump" mean?

When people want to push the thread to the top of the list so it gets more attention, a "bump" so to speak. This lets other forum posters know someone is still interested in the thread and are requesting replied. Best not to do it too often, but once in a while is fine.

i've been on the wait list since around March. I'm a reapplicant and interviewed at NYU last year but didn't get in. My DATs were good, aside from the PAT which I shouldn't have used Kaplan's strategy on and is partially why I didn't get in the first year. my undergraduate gpa also needed improvement so i did a masters program and just need to take 4 credits of biochem starting june and will be done with that for a masters of biomedical science degree. my stats are
Organic 29 Chem 25 Bio 19 RC 17 QR 17 PAT 14 Science 22 AA 21 (PAT ouch).

my undergrad gpa was like a 3.2 cumulative, and science was around a 3.0 only.
My graduate gpa is right now around a 3.35, which is cumulative and everything is science so 3.35 graduate science gpa as well.

I really want to get in to this school since its been my number 1 choice for 2 years and I would really like to have the chance to go. what do you guys think my chances are of being called of the waitlist with those stats?

I don't know showtime but I have similar stats to yours and I haven't been called either, so I'm just assuming they're full and we're outta luck. =(

Hardil,

Nope, i have to make a choice... right now its either or.. im picking one between the two. and thats it. if i pick dent as a profession ill wait a year and do it....

Hardil,

Just got into Optom..at Waterloo... its looking better for me than Dentistry. And to think I have always thought i've wanted to do dentistry. But every professional person I speak to has advised me to do Optom. It will be much easier for me. To stay at home. TO be with fam. And a much easier profession. As for students..they all tell me to "chase my dream" But really im so indifferent.. i can do dentistry as easily as i can do optom. Sure dentists may make more money but.... i prefer to have the easier lifestyle. Moving to NY would be such a hassle... however.. i havn't accepted to WLOO yet... im gonna wait until the last date possible and ask professionals and workplaces to find out what is better for me.

-Chow live it up large in NYC!

So how does this work? If you get accepted to Optometry you'll go there. But if you don't get accepted and get into NYU you'll do dents?

i would assume negative...this thread has hardly moved...i think they are done!

Has anyone called or been in touch with NYU these past days? Anyone know if they are really "FULL?"

Has anyone called or been in touch with NYU these past days? Anyone know if they are really "FULL?"

Yes, NYU is full and has been for some time... i still expect some movement from the waitlist b/c some students are still holding spots at multiple schools.

Too all those waiting in anticipation... I can tell you that one spot will be open soon! :)

I am a little confused. It seems that most people waitlisted for NYU have above 3.5 and 21+ on DAT. How are you guys waitlisted yet the avg GPA and DAT for NYU is 3.2 and 18?????????????????????????

thats the crazzzzzzzzzzzy **** bout NYU...ughh makes me mad!!!!!

I am a little confused. It seems that most people waitlisted for NYU have above 3.5 and 21+ on DAT. How are you guys waitlisted yet the avg GPA and DAT for NYU is 3.2 and 18?????????????????????????

the average for NYU is not a 3.2 and 18... that was the average a few years ago. it has gone up within the last cycle.. my guess is 3.4 and 19.

another thing..a lot of these people waitlisted with high stats may have interviewed very late when there were little/no spots left.

wackie how do you know one spot will open soon, did one of your friends go somewhere else?

i just got into my top choice, so there will be a spot opening up soon!

good luck!

That is awesome JB! Where? UF???

I gave up my spot today. Hopefully one of you will be getting a call on Monday!

JB's top choice is Maryland (I tihnk)- congrats dude!

yes, my top choice was Maryland! thanks a lot everyone. NYU is a great school.... it was really hard to turn them down. unfortunately i'm not a millionaire so that's what made it a fairly easy choice for me.

Where did you get into Cymbidium.. Tufts???

i hope one of you get my spot, jb!:)

yes, my top choice was Maryland! thanks a lot everyone. NYU is a great school.... it was really hard to turn them down. unfortunately i'm not a millionaire so that's what made it a fairly easy choice for me.

Where did you get into Cymbidium.. Tufts???

i hope one of you get my spot, jb!:)

nope. NYU let me defer (personal and financial reasons). I guess I'm the first one who is officially in somewhere for c/o 2012 on SDN.

cymbidium, how do you defer? what grounds do you need to ask for one?? I didn't know that it was possible.

cymbidium, how do you defer? what grounds do you need to ask for one?? I didn't know that it was possible.

It's not easy - I had to submit a formal letter stating my personal, financial and health related issues. Then it needs to be approved. I don't think they like to let people defer - you need a really, really good reason (sorry I prefer not to give the reason!).

JB! That is some great news man! Congratsss. Holy crap you must feel good right now lol. All that DAT studying finally paid off!

BTW you seemed to have known that you were at the top of their list. Any advice to us still on waitlists on what to do? UMDNJ is my top choice but they are/have been full since very early jan... And then not a single person opened a spot there which is rediculous.

JB! That is some great news man! Congratsss. Holy crap you must feel good right now lol. All that DAT studying finally paid off!

BTW you seemed to have known that you were at the top of their list. Any advice to us still on waitlists on what to do? UMDNJ is my top choice but they are/have been full since very early jan... And then not a single person opened a spot there which is rediculous.

the only thing i can say is to be PROACTIVE. if a school is your number 1 choice, go after them!! for many schools your efforts may go unnoticed, but you will feel a hell of a lot better about your chances if you put in the effort.

i don't know if my efforts helped or not, but they definitely didn't hurt. it also made the last couple months a little easier knowing that i was doing everything in my power to increase my chances at an acceptance.

it may be a little late in the game to start swooning your #1, but i suppose better late than never.

the only thing i can say is to be PROACTIVE. if a school is your number 1 choice, go after them!! for many schools your efforts may go unnoticed, but you will feel a hell of a lot better about your chances if you put in the effort.

i don't know if my efforts helped or not, but they definitely didn't hurt. it also made the last couple months a little easier knowing that i was doing everything in my power to increase my chances at an acceptance.

it may be a little late in the game to start swooning your #1, but i suppose better late than never.

Congrats on getting into Maryland, JB. I've heard great things about them on here and am looking forward to interviewing there in the near future. When you contacted them periodically, what sort of things did you say? I mean, giving them an update as to what you've been doing (shadowing, research, grades) is obvious, but contacting them every 2 weeks seems like you had a lot to talk about.