[NYUCD D1] I have a C, can I still specialize in OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurphyCats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D1 at NYUCD. I currently don't have a C. YET. However I am destined to get one by the end of this academic year.... (clinical case presentation ugh)
I wanted to specialize in OMFS but is it impossible at this point? Or Ortho???? I heard that if you want to do OMFS you should be only getting A's.

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades going forward is a huge determinant on getting to a specialty residency. Ranked in the top 5 ..... You can choose your residency path. Top 10. Things get little harder.

I'm a D1 at NYUCD. I currently don't have a C. YET. However I am destined to get one by the end of this academic year.... (clinical case presentation ugh)
I wanted to specialize in OMFS but is it impossible at this point? Or Ortho???? I heard that if you want to do OMFS you should be only getting A's.
In a school class with 300+ other people you can't afford to get Cs if you want to specialize. You're probably dunzo.

Members don't see this ad :)

Work hard and keep the rest of your grades up. Honestly, one C is not great but it’s also not the end of the world. I would say it will make things more difficult for you if you have lots of Cs and Bs, but keep towards the top and score high on the CBSE.

Reactions: 1 user
Well to give you a bit of comfort, I'm a D3 student and I got a C on my transcript due to one disastrous practical at the beginning of D2 year. I'm still first in my class and have been since 1st year. Don't let one grade define you, just keep working hard.

Reactions: 2 users
If you got a C in a class size of 360 your chances of matching for OMFS just got thrown out the window. Nah I'm jk you'll be fine, go study for Bucklan's quiz or something lmao

Exactly, just focus on doing well on the CBSE and don’t listen to all the haters on these forums and in school.

I see mixed opinions about this topic. All the old timers say if you’re not top 10 kiss OS goodbye. Now it seems like I hear class rank isn’t nearly as important as the CBSE. With a solid CBSE score (70+) what rank would you say is a true cutoff?

Yes you can man, I know a couple people in the bottom of the class who got into omfs, they did 2 internships to get in though....I know people in the top half who got into omfs, they got a 70+ on the CBSE to get In...there’s always a way.

Reactions: 1 users
I see mixed opinions about this topic. All the old timers say if you’re not top 10 kiss OS goodbye. Now it seems like I hear class rank isn’t nearly as important as the CBSE. With a solid CBSE score (70+) what rank would you say is a true cutoff?

Don’t listen to the old timers as they didn’t have a CBSE to take and class rank weighed more heavily. Talk to your current program omfs faculty and residents for more input. True cuttoff for rank is hard to say but I would say if you’re looking to match straight from school you should be in top 20% of class with CBSE 70+ and decent letters (this is a generalization, I’ve seen people in all shapes and forms match with various stats)

Don’t listen to the old timers as they didn’t have a CBSE to take and class rank weighed more heavily. Talk to your current program omfs faculty and residents for more input. True cuttoff for rank is hard to say but I would say if you’re looking to match straight from school you should be in top 20% of class with CBSE 70+ and decent letters (this is a generalization, I’ve seen people in all shapes and forms match with various stats)

Appreciate the words of wisdom. One additional question. It seems like it’s pretty set that you need a good CBSE score. So say I have that but my rank is low, around 50th percentile, do you think an internship would greatly improve the chances of matching, or is that just to low of a rank to really have a shot?

I am not sure what clinical case presentation is, but I do know it is not Anatomy, Physiology, Neurophysiology, or Histology. Those are the classes you must ace for OMFS. OMFS PD's care little about teeth, other than to remove them. High basic science grades are most important.
The CBSE is also vital, as that is the separation standard for med school adcoms, who know little about dental courses. It is a long road travel till 4th year, and a lot of tooth stuff you will wish you never had to do if OMFS is truly your goal.
The CBSE also gives a fair comparison for students from P/F schools. Also helps with schools that do not provide class rank (Penn). Keep studying.

One C won’t define you. Have to be blunt and honest, NYU is not the nicest environment to specialize out of. Too many students and too much competition. Being ranked means you are fighting a ton of the top students for Omfs spots. You NEED a killer cbse score.
OMFS programs interview very few students PER school. For example if there are 20-30 omfs applicants from NYU for a program they will only interview a handful of them.
One OMFS program I know only interviews 20 people for 2 spots. They are definitely not putting all their eggs in a basket for NYU students.
I have many friends at NYU and it’s a harddd place to keep your head above the water but you just have to grind it out and study hard. Only A’s from this point forward. Bs are not good enough.