O Chem HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KH21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT in 5 days.....the problem is I scored only a 16 multiple times on practice tests. How can I improve my score real quick? My problem mostly deals with actual reactions....HELP me please!!!! What were your strategies? I never did good in ochem, I barely got a C in I and II......

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do that great in O-Chem either as an undergrad, but I still managed to get a 27 on that section on the DAT.

I know it sounds simple, but what I did was write down every reaction that was listed in the Kaplan book that I got from the local bookstore. There are probably like 40 reactions or so and I ended up writing on about 6 sheets of paper front and back. I memorized them and pretty much did not see anything on test day that was not on those sheets of paper. At this point, with the test only 5 days away, your best bet would be to memorize as well as you can all the reactions (and perhaps a small understanding of WHY that reaction occurs). Remember to stay calm and focused when you study, otherwise none of that material will stick in your mind. Good luck!

If you need to memorize the reactions as w3chen99
is suggesting, the best thing to do is to cut up a few old cardboard folders and use them as flash cards. Write the reactants and the catalyst on one side, the products and the type of reaction on the other. Take these cards with yourself everywhere and randomly test yourself, keep track of the ones that you don't get, and retest until you know them all. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason that I had it on sheets of paper is so that I can more easily see the categories of reactions (e.g. all the esterification reactions or the Alkane reactions, etc.). If you categorize it like that in your head, it will make it so much easier.

Same here, i wrote them all down on a piece of paper before finals during my undergrad years to remember my reactions. It works! The process of writing them down alone lets you subconciously learn them, and when your done, try to recall them QUICK. You need to keep all this knowlegde on your fingertips to score high on Ochem tests.

Ochem was my strongest Chem subject, I know it scares many ppl, but motivate yourself and try to *understand* whats going on. Dont rely on just memorization alone... they are like puzzles, no two will ever look alike...

Good luck on your DAT!

-Vic

Oh and here's another one... take the sheet of paper with you on test day... keep quizzing yourself constantly...

There will be a few concepts that are harder to remember/understand... so what u do is really focus on those right before the test, and as soon as you get your test paper and are allowed to start... write them down immediately somewhere! That way, if you come across any questions that need those reactions... you'd have them written down already.

That pretty much works with any subject really... and its not cheating! I keep the harder concepts in my short term RAM.. :)

I took my DATs in December...I studied everyday...My weakest subject was Chemistry...But then after the test i did the best in Chem and the worst in the subject i thought i would do well in..All i can say to you is just have confidence and do not stress yourself out...Hype yourself in the morning of the test...Listen to something that brings you up...I listened to Eminems - Lose Yourself. heehee...woke me up and gave me lots of energy...Good Luck