O-Chem or Anatomy?

Started by ctasich
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ctasich

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on taking the PCAT this fall. However, I have not taken O-Chem or Anatomy. I plan to take them during the fall and spring terms. Which would be more beneficial for me to do in order to maximize my performance on the test?

1) Take O-Chem I and Anatomy I in the fall?

2) Take Anatomy I and Anatomy II (via a split semester Anatomy program) in the fall. As well as getting an O-Chem book now and start teaching myself (any recommendations on a book?).

The first option gives me a more well-rounded approach going into the test, while the second one will allow me to know most (if not all) of Anatomy I before I take the PCAT. I figure either way, it's going to be tough. Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris
 
The organic chemistry book I had was written by McMurry. I recommend not teaching the subject to yourself. It is boring to just sit there and read the book. When I took it the professor gave us a lot of practice problems and a lot of feedback, and it made the class very interesting. Organic 2 was probably my favorite class so far in all of undergrad and I'm going into my 4th year.

When do you plan to apply for admission to pharmacy school? If you don't plan on applying until Fall 2011 admission I would wait on the PCAT and just take it in June next summer.
 
I am planning on taking the PCAT this fall. However, I have not taken O-Chem or Anatomy. I plan to take them during the fall and spring terms. Which would be more beneficial for me to do in order to maximize my performance on the test?

1) Take O-Chem I and Anatomy I in the fall?

2) Take Anatomy I and Anatomy II (via a split semester Anatomy program) in the fall. As well as getting an O-Chem book now and start teaching myself (any recommendations on a book?).

The first option gives me a more well-rounded approach going into the test, while the second one will allow me to know most (if not all) of Anatomy I before I take the PCAT. I figure either way, it's going to be tough. Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris

If you go in with no Ochem, you will bomb an entire section. If you go in with some Anatomy, you will do poorly in one section (biology). Are you planning on the October test? If so, you're probably applying for matriculation in 2011, which would make waiting on the PCAT make a lot of sense. If you're taking the August PCAT, you won't have enough of any of those courses to make a difference.
 
I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but from what I know you just need the basics of ochem and very little anat (35% O-chem for Chem section; 20% Anat for Biology).

I think it would be a good idea just to use Kaplan(or some other guide) as an outline to know what areas you should look over...it's not like you will need a whole course worth of information for the PCAT.

I have a friend who studied for the PCAT with only a background in H.S. Biology, Chemistry, and Calculus. She studied all summer with Kaplan and made an 83 composite on the PCAT. She will be going to pharm school in the fall.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found anatomy really helpful for my bio section but I would have floundered without Organic. They have a fairly decent biology review in the Kaplan book. I would review that and then take Organic in the fall. The Kaplan review should be good enough to get a decent score. I did get a few extra questions right because of my A & P classes but it isn't necessary unless you are gunning for a 99 in that section.
 
Thanks for the great info guys. I'm going to try to take O-Chem, but it may not fit into my schedule. However, I have more of a background in Chemistry than in Biology, so hopefully that will help. I just tracked down an O-Chem book and I'm going to start early. I would really like to do well on the PCAT this August as I am applying for matriculation in Fall 2010.

Chris