O. chem over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scota

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was thinking of taking an entire year of o. chem in two separate 5 week summer sessions. Has anyone out there done this before? If so, did you regret it? I realize I will live o. chem for 10 weeks, but I really would like to get those classes out of the way. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

scota said:
Hey,

I was thinking of taking an entire year of o. chem in two separate 5 week summer sessions. Has anyone out there done this before? If so, did you regret it? I realize I will live o. chem for 10 weeks, but I really would like to get those classes out of the way. Thanks...

I did! I don't regret it at all. I took it the summer that I took the MCAT, so it was really fresh on my mind during the test. Plus, for me, just focusing on that one subject all of that time simply made it a lot easier to learn than if I had tried taking it with 3 or 4 other classes.

I took Orgo I and lab during the regular semester and did well, but I took Orgo II and lab in the summer and smoked them. Alot of people, including professors say NOT to do it, but I thought it was nice having just that one subject to focus on. But if you want A's, you have to stay focused all 10 weeks.

On a side note, I've heard that med schools don't like it when you take core classes in the summer or at an institution other than your own. I don't know if it's true or not, and I know alot of people that did (including my sib) who are now in med school (sib's in top 5 school), but I would avoid taking ALL the core classes in the summer...not that you said you are. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i did it. no regrets.

Thanks for the replies!

wow, that sounds insane...i would recommend against doing that, and suggest taking your time with these classes....

....but then again, some of these other guys seem do have done pretty well. if you decide to do it, good luck to you :luck:

I took the entire year w/labs in 8 weeks during the summer last year. I managed A's. It was brutal, though. I didn't do anything but organic for 8 weeks. I don't think I retained it very well, though. Fortunately for me, I took the MCAT right after I finished it.