O school admission stadards - 2yr Comm Coll Assoc degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeilD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read where the admission standards at the O school would be dropping to accept students with a two year associates degree from a community college???
Then when I was at my brothers office a alum he works with sometime said it was in his alum newsletter? Think that will be the case for all the schools or just that one?

Members don't see this ad.

Please read the requirements of pod school for any of the schools. NOWHERE does it say you need to complete a bachelor's degree.

Point taken, I would like to see the bar raised though. I think it would be good for street cred. I'm sure most doctors from Harvard, Standford, etc..... had at least a BS or BA.

Members don't see this ad :)
What bar? It only states minimum stats. If you showed the percentage of students who don't have bachelor's being quite high, then perhaps you would have made your point. However, you haven't bothered to do so.

In theory, you do not need a bachelor's degree to gain acceptance into any allopathic, osteopathic, dental, podiatric, optometric or veterinary school. However, in reality I believe it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of those who are presently in any of these schools has that degree.

Yes, there are exceptions, but I personally do not know of any students at podiatric medical school who have not obtained that degree. I know they exist, but in my many years of practice and dealing with externs, residents, students, I have not met one yet. That would lead me to believe that it exists in very small numbers, and I would presume those accepted without the degree have some other impressive credentials.

Speaking with doctors who are presently involved with the podiatric educational process, I don't believe the standards are going to be lowered, but believe just the opposite. Everyone in the profession is aware of the fact that in order to ever gain true respect and approach parity, the requirements must become stricter.

Thank you Dr. I hope the 2 yr community college thing doesn't become reality. Although some may disagree, I do not think it improves the condition of this field if the public comes to believe that only two years of community college are the pre rec.

Meaningless contribution to a thread that's already run far more than it's appropriate course.

Additional generic comment regarding the state of podiatry school admissions, and questioning whether or not the OP did much research before the post.

Also, a foot pun.

The smart ass of the boards got his feelings hurt....waaaahhhhh

I didn't realize I was getting replaced, thanks Ankle Breaker

EDIT: I just realized I am only a HARD ass, sorry AB

Last edited:
I think we need to "raise the bar" to join these forums above NeilD standards.

Edit: On second thought, I enjoy the entertainment.

I think we need to "raise the bar" to join these forums above NeilD standards.

Edit: On second thought, I enjoy the entertainment.

Careful what you say about that troll, he might send you a nasty PM. :laugh:

Can't you just feel the camraderie in these forums?

Regarding the original point of this thread, standards (or a lack thereof) on admissions are meaningless if you don't even have a 2:1 applicant to matriculant ratio...

It has been mentioned that many schools will accept students without a bachelor's. I personally know of several students who got accepted into vet school like this and see no issue whatsoever with it. And, are doing quite well, btw. As a matter of fact, they very well may be MORE qualified from a gpa perspective because they have only taken core courses and pre-req's. No marketing, psychology, music, PE course fluff to stack the gpa. A student that knows they want to go medical and goes to university and busts their tail for the 90 credits required and applies early, good for them. They know what they want and have saved time and money.