OAT 2016 Experience

edt20

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN was one of the most helpful resources I used in preparation for the OAT that I took earlier this month, so I wanted to share my experience--I hope what I share is just as helpful!

I started with a big KAPLAN 2015 OAT book -- I tried to read chapters that matched what I was learning in class, but I found it very difficult to study during the school year. I read some chapters during winter break and over the weekends, but most of my study time was concentrated during the summer a little over a month before I took the OAT.

The month before the OAT I...

...took time off from work. I'm grateful that my employers allowed me to be flexible with my hours while I studied. I started my days at 7 or 8 AM and studied until I went to work at 2PM and studied when I got home basically until I went to bed. I worked 5-15 hours a week, depending on how stressed I felt about the OAT. Find a time of day to study that works best for you -- for me it was mornings, and work became a daily study break.

...took a practice test every week three weeks before the actual exam. The OAT is ~4.5 hours long. It's a mental marathon, so what do you do for a marathon? You train and stretch your endurance! I found it very helpful to set aside a whole day to taking a practice exam. I tried to simulate testing conditions as much as possible -- I used a small dry-erase board, shut myself in a quiet room, and even took the practice exams close to the same time of day when my actual exam was scheduled.

...watched Chad's videos. Thank you so much Chad!!! The bulk of my organic chemistry and general chemistry review consisted of Chad's videos and quizzes. I watched around 4 or 5 videos and did their corresponding quizzes everyday. Chad has a gift of relating to his students and making the material interesting so it sticks in your mind. I highly recommend his site!

...did problems from my friend's MCAT books. The end-of-section problems in the Kaplan MCAT 2016 books by subject were very helpful, as were the concept summaries. I thought the Kaplan OAT review book was lacking in practice questions, and sometimes the questions weren't even multiple choice so were not an accurate representation of the OAT. However, the MCAT subject books for ochem, genchem, and physics had excellent practice multiple choice questions. I mean, the science we are tested on is the same, whether we take the MCAT or the OAT or the DAT.

...watched YouTube videos for biology. Armando Hasudungan (youtube.com/armandohasudungan) combines art and physiology so nicely! Since I am a pretty visual learner and I love art, his videos helped biology subjects like endocrinology, development, nephrology, and neurology stick in my mind. I also highly recommend his videos!

...made flashcards and reviewed them when I had free time. I was kind of desperate in the week and a half leading up to the OAT, so I went through the Kaplan OAT review and the MCAT books and wrote down concepts, equations, and reactions, and went over the flashcards during car rides, before I went to bed (to help me fall asleep, haha), while I ate meals...when I got tired of watching videos or doing problems.

...took study breaks!!! This was very important. Even though I studied every day before the test (and only reviewed flashcards the day before), I varied the intensity. I studied hard Mon-Fri and a little lighter over the weekend. I took frequent workout breaks (youtube.com/blogilates) and Netflix breaks. I spent time with my family and friends. But I also had to discipline myself and remind myself that it's ok to say no to activities or work because I had to study!

The day of the test I arrived 30 minutes early, and after checking in and security, I began. I received two 8.5 by 11 inch dry-erase sheets and 2 fine-tipped markers. I was not given an eraser, and the markers did not erase easily. I think the practice exams prepared me well for test day. I had enough time after the science section to review all the questions, but barely finished all the other sections. I ran out of time for QR and had to guess for some questions. But after I submitted the test and took a short survey, my score showed up on the screen. I was finally finished with the OAT!

Here are the scores on my practice tests and the actual test:
BIO / GC / OC / RC / PHYS / QR / TS / AA
Kaplan 1: 360 / 320 / 310 / 380 / 300 / 370 / 320 / 340
ADA Practice Test: 380 / 350 / 350 / 380 / 370 / 400 / 360 / 370
Kaplan 2: 350 / 360 / 370 / 390 / 360 / 390 / 360 / 370
Actual OAT: 400 / 400 / 400 / 360 / 390 / 360 / 400 / 390

The Kaplan OAT and MCAT multiple choice questions were good preparation for the actual OAT. I thought the RC and QR was a little more difficult than I had practiced, but it could have been overconfidence from my practice exams. The adrenaline on test day definitely helps!

I think an important thing about studying is to vary how you review the material - watching videos, writing concepts down, reading the review books, doing problems on a dry erase board, flashcards...the more formats as you can look at the material, the more likely it was to stick in my head! It also helps to review actively - if this means typing/writing notes, drawing concept maps, anything so you're actively working with the material. Also since I only had a month to study, I found it helpful at times to do problems first and find areas of weakness instead of reading a whole chapter. You may be surprised at how much you already know! I hope this was helpful! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user