OAT Practice Test Score Before Studying?

MIKE_DJ0NT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I took my first OAT practice test today without studying at all, just to see how I would do. I got a 350 (380 RC, 380 QR, 310 Physics, 330 Orgo, 350 Gen Chem, and 360 Bio). This was a big confidence boost, as I still have almost six months before I actually take the test.

Anyone want to share how they did on the practice test? If you have taken the real OAT, how did it compare to practice?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Which practice test? If that's the scores you got, guess you can spend those next 6 months relaxing then!

Which practice test? If that's the scores you got, guess you can spend those next 6 months relaxing then!

Hi Mark! I used the practice OAT provided at this link: http://www.ada.org/~/media/OAT/Files/oat_sample_test.ashx

It does not come with a scoring table, so I had to search SDN for half an hour to find a picture someone posted of it.

That sounds great haha. However, so I can get into all my choice schools and get some scholarships, I definitely will be studying. I feel like I've forgotten all of orgo! :p

Reactions: 1 user
Those are nice! I made a 270 on my 1st Kaplan diagnostic haha. Ended up with a 320 on the real thing so still not great, but I'll take it. I'm still skeptical of some those scoring tables (especially the older ones lol), but it looks like you'll do great. Keep it up!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread seems like a good opportunity for a monologue.

It is pretty similar to the real thing. On the practice test, I got:

270BIO/390GC/390OC/400RC/350PHY/360QR

On the real thing I got

*Edited out my specific scores sorry =[
Percentiles on the real thing:
AA: 97%
TS: 100%

My practice BIO score was not a typo... I missed like 25 questions or something horrendous. I didn't know the material at all. It was on par with the real thing, but since it's such a wide range of info, it's not a good idea to just study the material presented on the sample OAT. Studying over a *long period* of time (not cramming!!) helped so much. Long period meaning like 1.5 months, maybe 1.5 hours per day. You have to retain a wide variety of information for bio. think breadth, not depth!!

RC was much easier on the sample. Partly because there was no stamina required. But, partly because it was just a type of passage that I found easy. Other passages are different...styles... and might be easier or harder depending on your strengths/weaknesses. And some strategies don't work as well for different types of passages.

For RC, I wish I would have practiced some more on some practice software or something, because I was just winging it in the real thing. I think it would have helped to see more variety as to what the reading passages would be like -- I did awful on the first passage for my OAT, but then did really well on the last two passages once I honed in on a strategy that worked for me. I'm pretty sure I missed half the questions on my first passage and then none on the second and third.

One piece of random advice I thought helped was to practice QR at the end of the day - when you're really tired. It'll be like that on the real thing. You'll be drained by the time you get to QR. Also, for QR, answer the questions you know first. Liberally utilize the option to mark questions...you can miss like 10 questions and still get a 360 or 370 (can't remember the exact numbers). And..abuse the calculator! The one at my test center worked quickly - no lag at all.

OC and GC you just gotta know chad's videos. I took very extensive and detailed notes for his videos on OC and GC. I did all of his quizzes 10+ times and went through OAT destroyer GC and OC once.

For BIO AP Cliff's is good. Over a long period of time. Craig Savage's AP bio YouTube videos are also great. I think I got +5 questions just from passively watching his videos (usually at the end of the day) on topics I was unfamiliar with. For me, that meant plants, diversity, evolution, immunity, menstrual cycle, and kidneys.

I studied for about 8 hours total for physics and it seemed like I was just taking a test on logical problems solving...not physics. I dunno. I did very well in my undergrad physics courses, but that was over 7 years ago. Know how to sum up forces and do mechanics problems... All the types of problems you'd see in first semester physics. Momentum...energy... All that. Electricity and magnetism was big, but you can just get so much done by eliminating the wrong answers. I don't even know what a capacitor is.. But there were like 5 questions dealing with them/related topics on mine. And I ended up with a score just above the 90th percentile. I literally don't even.

Also...

TAKE THE DAT 2007 sample test, and the DAT 2009 sample. Both are equally as useful practice/gauges for your performance on the real thing. Although 2009 QR, for me, was impossible. I didn't do 2009 RC, but I think it would have helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

On the real thing I got

My practice BIO score was not a typo... I missed like 25 questions or something horrendous. I didn't know the material at all. It was on par with the real thing, but since it's such a wide range of info, it's not a good idea to just study the material presented on the sample OAT. Studying over a *long period* of time (not cramming!!) helped so much. Long period meaning like 1.5 months, maybe 1.5 hours per day. You have to retain a wide variety of information for bio. think breadth, not depth!!

RC was much easier on the sample. Partly because there was no stamina required. But, partly because it was just a type of passage that I found easy. Other passages are different...styles... and might be easier or harder depending on your strengths/weaknesses. And some strategies don't work as well for different types of passages.

For RC, I wish I would have practiced some more on some practice software or something, because I was just winging it in the real thing. I think it would have helped to see more variety as to what the reading passages would be like -- I did awful on the first passage for my OAT, but then did really well on the last two passages once I honed in on a strategy that worked for me. I'm pretty sure I missed half the questions on my first passage and then none on the second and third.

One piece of random advice I thought helped was to practice QR at the end of the day - when you're really tired. It'll be like that on the real thing. You'll be drained by the time you get to QR. Also, for QR, answer the questions you know first. Liberally utilize the option to mark questions...you can miss like 10 questions and still get a 360 or 370 (can't remember the exact numbers). And..abuse the calculator! The one at my test center worked quickly - no lag at all.

OC and GC you just gotta know chad's videos. I took very extensive and detailed notes for his videos on OC and GC. I did all of his quizzes 10+ times and went through OAT destroyer GC and OC once.

For BIO AP Cliff's is good. Over a long period of time. Craig Savage's AP bio YouTube videos are also great. I think I got +5 questions just from passively watching his videos (usually at the end of the day) on topics I was unfamiliar with. For me, that meant plants, diversity, evolution, immunity, menstrual cycle, and kidneys.

I studied for about 8 hours total for physics and it seemed like I was just taking a test on logical problems solving...not physics. I dunno. I did very well in my undergrad physics courses, but that was over 7 years ago. Know how to sum up forces and do mechanics problems... All the types of problems you'd see in first semester physics. Momentum...energy... All that. Electricity and magnetism was big, but you can just get so much done by eliminating the wrong answers. I don't even know what a capacitor is.. But there were like 5 questions dealing with them/related topics on mine. And I ended up with a score just above the 90th percentile. I literally don't even.

Also...

TAKE THE DAT 2007 sample test, and the DAT 2009 sample. Both are equally as useful practice/gauges for your performance on the real thing. Although 2009 QR, for me, was impossible. I didn't do 2009 RC, but I think it would have helped.

Wow, thank you very much for this advice! It sounds like your study strategy worked. Honestly, I am most concerned with the reading comprehension section (I don't really have any strategy and I am a slow reader) and with simply finding practice tests to take. If you could direct me to someplace I can get some quality practice tests, or if you could give me some specific advice as to tackling reading comp, that would be great. Thanks!

On the real thing I got

What resources did you use to study for the BIO?