OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ted

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just amazed that there's no website for the OAT. We're in the 21st century and still, the people administrating the OAT would prefer everything to be done thru the US Postal Service. Putting up a website is not very expensive - nothing complicated, just a simple one where I can register to write the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree. a website would also be helpful to people like myself, who are possibly considering optometry and would like to learn more about what application entails. there are hardly any books on the oat in existence, so a central website with info and maybe a few example questions would be great.

nik

I agree too, optometry students really need to search to find information

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you register for the OAT they will send you a sample test, although a very short version. The verbal section is similar to MCATs verbal. The math section is like a more difficult SAT math section...similar to the GRE Math section. There is no calculus and just a little trigonometry. The physics and natural sciences sectons are not like the MCAT at all. I thought the OAT was much easier. Most of the questions are not passage based but are just straightforward multiple choice questions. There is no writing sample on the OAT. There is a short extra section that they give that is not scored but used to check questions for future exams. In the October 2000 the extra section was a fairly difficult multiple choice biology test.

<a href="http://www.opted.org/info_oat.cfm" target="_blank">Description of OAT website</a>-- not too informative but it's something.

I agree there should be an online registration. It cost me a small fortune to send all that off and get it insured to make sure it got there (with signature) A website would make things much much easier.

To hunt for OAT books.. go to amazon or barnes and noble. There are a few out there. They're NEVER stocked at the bookstore. (the information people didn't even know the test exsisted when I asked for books at stores when I was looking) I used a Kaplan MCAT book when I studied for the sciences because the science reviews were so much better. But, the OAT book has sample passages which help you learn how the test is laid out

Good luck everyone!