OB nurses????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shodddy18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of them are nice, but some of them can be so rude, judgemental, and full of themselves. Before I started the rotation, some of my classmates and the other residents and attendings gave me a heads up about some of them. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but the others were right, a few of them made it known that they did not like me from the start. I bent over backwards to be nice to them, but alas it did not work. There was a period of about one week when they were nice to me, after my wife made some great deserts for me to bring in for them. Most of the nurses are great, but man, some of them are such pains in the a$$!

Members don't see this ad.

They are horrible people, plain and simple. Sometimes, like a really mean dog, you can buy their short-term friendship with food and compliments. But ask yourself why you would want to?

When I was on L&D, the nurses had completely run over the residents and attendings as well. I think that when the attendings keep their house in order, it makes a lot easier for the students who come through. When they don't . . . well, you get a Labor & Delivery Unit.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats so funny, i was just about to post about nurses in general. i am getting SO frustrated!! this does not apply to every nurse obviously, but ive found that so many of them can be SOOO rude to medical students and then totally kiss up to attendings and its a tossup with the residents. i am nothing but nice to them and some of them just talk to me like i'm an idiot or treat me like dirt. ive also found that secretaries on the wards can be the same way. like, you ask a question because HELLO you are new and you are trying to learn. and they can never just be nice and ansewr the question like a normal human being. its like im interrupting their ever so important work, and how dare i do something like that!!!

just wanted to vent!! anyone else agree?

I do agree...I've found that the nurses on the medicine floors are pretty darn nice, but the worst encounter I had was in the PICU. I was on a peds surgery rotation, had been at work for 16 hours, and was looking for the nurse for one of my patients to get an update before evening rounds(since most of these patients are only days old, you can't exactly ask them how they're feeling. And the flowcharts were never anywhere to be found.) The nurses' names are all listed on a board next to each patient's name, so you know who to look for. My patient's nurse was Esther. I did not know Esther. So I started asking a few nurses - "are you taking care of patient X?"..they didn't even look at me. So I asked another nurse "Are you Esther?" NO, she wasn't. Then I asked this other nurse if she was Esther. She responded "Do I LOOK like an Esther?" I never found Esther.
It was not a good day.

I do agree... So I asked another nurse "Are you Esther?" NO, she wasn't. Then I asked this other nurse if she was Esther. She responded "Do I LOOK like an Esther?" I never found Esther.
It was not a good day.

:laugh:

I am sorry to laugh, but I did. I laughed right out loud, but maybe because I am doing outpatient now (which I do not like) and I was so relieved to read something funny. It raised my spirits.

How about these: I was kicked in the OR by the nurse. Yes! kicked in the shin, plus she yelled, "MOVE!" I could forgive her that she did not know my name, but I had just written it dutifully on the board for her - gem134, MS III.

Also, ICU nurses tend to get angry with me, when they don't completely ignore me. At least, the ones I meet for the first time. Usually they warm up after the first experience. But last week, one would not let me see the vitals on a patient. I finally just grabbed it and began filling out the numbers for rounds. My resident comes by and says "that's not the chart for Jones." The nurse actually let me take the chart because IT WAS THE WRONG CHART. And she knew that. :mad:

Most nurses are pretty decent, some are awesome!! but just one meanie can suck your spirit down the drain.

I just had to say that, while, I've definately had my share of run-ins with nurses and other staff, I'm currently doing my Ob rotation at a small non-academic community hospital and every nurse (except one who no one likes) has been great to me. They call me when deliveries are imminent, they help me out and answer my questions, they have even passed messages for me to my attending letting him know that I was out sick. I'm afraid I'm getting really spoiled and going back to my schools hospital is going to be rough.

thats so funny, i was just about to post about nurses in general. i am getting SO frustrated!! this does not apply to every nurse obviously, but ive found that so many of them can be SOOO rude to medical students and then totally kiss up to attendings and its a tossup with the residents. i am nothing but nice to them and some of them just talk to me like i'm an idiot or treat me like dirt. ive also found that secretaries on the wards can be the same way. like, you ask a question because HELLO you are new and you are trying to learn. and they can never just be nice and ansewr the question like a normal human being. its like im interrupting their ever so important work, and how dare i do something like that!!!

just wanted to vent!! anyone else agree?

I completely agree. Yesterday I asked this one nurse a few questions, about OB. She has been doing it for 24 years or so, and 4 weeks for me. I am a humble person, I don't try to pretend I know things that I don't, and usually I learn a lot from the nurses because they have a lot of experience. This particular nurse, for some reason thought that I was being condescending or second guessing her when i asked her questions. Even though I literally explained to her that I had no idea as to the answer of the question and wanted her to teach me. So anyways, she yelled at me in front of the patient. An hour or so later she came to the dictation room to " give me an apology for yelling" and also to chew me a new one for second guessing her. No amount of explaining would work. I don't even understand her reasoning or what she was saying. She said that "we were speaking two different languages," (apparently English and disgruntled middle aged menopausal inferiority complex with a side of chips on her shoulder). She then said that she would be nice to me for the last two weeks of my rotation, but that was it. She thought that was some sort of punishment, but I was like WOW, you are going to start being nice to me (I thought you were mad at me????:confused: ). Then she stormed off and and proceeded back to the hornets nest they call the nurses station to gossip to all of the other demons about how she put the stupid medstudent in his place.

How about these: I was kicked in the OR by the nurse. Yes! kicked in the shin, plus she yelled, "MOVE!" I could forgive her that she did not know my name, but I had just written it dutifully on the board for her - gem134, MS III.

Wow, I've taken a lot of verbal abuse from nurses (and, in truth, offered back a little myself), but it would be the f-ing apocalypse if any of them ever put hands on me. Of course, when you're 6'0" 200lbs, it's a little easier to do that thing where you stand close and stare them down . . .

I have been slapped and, once even shoulder checked, by attendings. For some reason that feels a little more acceptable.

I am sorry to laugh, but I did. I laughed right out loud, but maybe because I am doing outpatient now (which I do not like) and I was so relieved to read something funny. It raised my spirits.
It's been months since that happened to me...and now I laugh about it too. Funny thing is that a few weeks ago I actually SAW that Esther on the elevator (her nametag said Esther and PICU. And she DID look like an Esther)!!!!! She looked quite miserable, so I guess it's good I never ran into her that day.

I was attacked with a hug from my attending once when I answered one of his pimpy questions. :idea:

Many of them are nice, but some of them can be so rude, judgemental, and full of themselves. Before I started the rotation, some of my classmates and the other residents and attendings gave me a heads up about some of them. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but the others were right, a few of them made it known that they did not like me from the start. I bent over backwards to be nice to them, but alas it did not work. There was a period of about one week when they were nice to me, after my wife made some great deserts for me to bring in for them. Most of the nurses are great, but man, some of them are such pains in the a$$!

This is interesting because as a student nurse (RN program) most of my classmates have agreed that the OB/LD nurses were some of the nicest we've dealt with. They taught, let us set foot into the nurses station, answered questions, didn't get bent out of shape if we didn't know where something was, and helped us find as many learning opportunities as we could. This was vastly different from our experiences on certain med-surg floors. The docs were also pretty nice and interested in teaching, which was also not generally the case on some of the med-surg floors. I have no real interest in becoming an OB nurse, but it was refreshing not to be treated like the red-headed, buck tooth step-child by the nurses. Based on all of the good reports about the OB nurses from my classmates (4 different hospitals involved, different days and shifts) I was starting to jump to the conclusion that OB culture in general may not be as toxic as other units. Oh well. Advanced med-surg and cardiac step-down floors are where I'll be next. I'm hoping for the best.

Most of the nurses are great, but man, some of them are such pains in the a$$!

Just like med students......

I have been slapped and, once even shoulder checked, by attendings. For some reason that feels a little more acceptable.

No way! Was it a slap on the back or in the face. I don't know how I'd react to that because it has never happened to me before...but I'm pretty sure there would be some punching or at least pushing.

Just like med students......

DripKockMurphy...what was your MCAT?

Oh wait...thats right...youre the premed who really isnt a premed.

:thumbup:

Keep up the good work DripKockMurphy.

Weitlander: not a good way to start your SDN career. Funny, but not nice. Take it to the Lounge.

DropkickMurphy: stop picking fights and then crying to the SDN staff when someone punches back. I knew a kid in college who did that...talked a big game then hid behind the bigger guy when the crap started flying. He eventually lost 2 teeth in a Mardi Gras "incident" because no one stood up for him. So next time, no red or yellow card for the other guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.