OB/Gyn + anatomy terminology question: “uterine opening vs cervix”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyCherie

Be part of the solution.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve come across a small discussion in which someone used the term “uterine opening” in an educational post online re: checking cervical dilation, and I noticed 3 people “correct” them to say “cervix” instead.

My question: is cervix more correct than uterine opening? In my opinion, If we’re trying to be sticklers, you’re measuring the dilation of the cervical os (the space). My point here was that the people trying to correct were doing way too much, but I didn’t want to call them out for being extra and then actually be wrong myself lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, useful knowledge for future Ob rotation...

I mean uterine opening is not the medical term. Technically, uterus includes the cervix (corpus uteri and cervix uteri), so uterine opening would be the first part of the vagina. Non-semantically (discussing colloquial definition of word uterus), uterine opening would be generally the same area as the cervix.

Like if you called the gastroesophageal junction the 'esophageal opening' you may not be technically wrong but people would look at you strangely.

You can be sticklers all you want, up to you. Technically, the answer to the question is not even 'cervix' but rather 'cervical os' because cervix encompasses more of an area than just the cervical os.

I wouldn't get too worked about it. Stick to medical terms as much as you can, it'll make you seem smarter. If you can't, nobody is going to ding you in a pinch for saying uterine opening.
Just do not get into an argument about why uterine opening is just as right as cervical os with anybody and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user