ObGyn Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M&M

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you someone please give me a really detailed description of the ObGyn residency? What kind of work you have to do, each PGY, competitiveness, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you someone please give me a really detailed description of the ObGyn residency? What kind of work you have to do, each PGY, competitiveness, etc?

You might be better off reading old posts in the OB/GYN forum.

Briefly, OB/GYN is four years; you do obstetrics and gynecology, in both an inpatient and outpatient setting; the hours can be bad while you're on L&D; in general, OB/GYN it is one of the least competitive specialties, but residencies at the top programs tend to be fairly competitive

You might be better off reading old posts in the OB/GYN forum.

Briefly, OB/GYN is four years; you do obstetrics and gynecology, in both an inpatient and outpatient setting; the hours can be bad while you're on L&D; in general, OB/GYN it is one of the least competitive specialties, but residencies at the top programs tend to be fairly competitive

I have heard over and over again that it has been getting increasingly competitive over the last several years. I still think it's about average for competitiveness, though, unless you're shooting for a top program.

I would go to websites for Ob/Gyn programs and look at the schedule for the years. They should be on the site. Inpatient and outpatient, L&D, benign gynecology, and the subspecialties as well (REI, Gyn/Onc, MFM, etc.). Programs also often do blocks in the SICU, NICU, on breast disease, ultrasound, etc. And most programs at this point have night float blocks. You won't do everything each year, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably. I (male) just did my first female pelvic exam a few days ago.

Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, but I'm pretty sure, like most guys, it's not going to involve bimanual exams. I'm guessing OB/GYN is hurting for guys. Everyone wants to be fair nowadays and have 50/50 mixes of everything, and OB/GYN doesn't look even close to 50/50.

I have heard over and over again that it has been getting increasingly competitive over the last several years. I still think it's about average for competitiveness, though, unless you're shooting for a top program.

Most fields are getting very competitive. Internal medicine is swinging around the other way after decades of being uncompetitive and is very competitive this year. Emergency medicine has been for a few years now. The only one that comes to mind that is getting less competitive is radiology. I would imagine over the next 5 years there are going to be very few "uncompetitive" fields left due to this huge increase in AMGs we are experiencing.