Observing Autopsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOLeary

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year undergraduate student, and I scheduled autopsy observations for some pathology hours. Any advice prior to the autopsy? Should I eat differently or dress differently? What should I expect? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to say, because everyone reacts to them differently. At a guesstimate maybe 10% of the observers I get let me know they are bothered enough to stand back or leave, and it seems like it's more general faintness than queasiness per se. Same sort of thing I remember from early surgery observations. If it's something you're concerned about, I would not "skip" eating, but probably would stick with something small to medium sized and relatively plain, and do it *not* immediately before you go in. Although I had been exposed to bodies before from gross anatomy, the unfixed body is different. I was generally fine during my first autopsy observation (mildly psychologically stunned/overwhelmed by I guess the contradictory instincts of wanting to see and learn yet not wanting to do harm or ignore their "feelings", even though I knew they were long gone -- something about seeing their face I suppose, which I suggest ignoring as best you can particularly at first, maybe even ask them to cover it), but I regretted the alfredo sauce at lunch immediately afterward. After a couple or so you'll know.

As for dressing, use common sense. Closed toed shoes and clothes that you don't mind getting bloody/smelly, although they should provide you with shoe covers, a gown, eye protection, etc. It's not as messy as some people might think, but the occasional droplet can still get where you don't want it.

Reactions: 1 users
Study up on how an autopsy is performed and if possible, find out what you can about the general cause of death (trauma, complication, etc). That way your mind is not fixed on the actions of the ME, but rather the science and rationale of the case. This helps keeps your mind distracted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Work at a busy ME office as an autopsy tech and we regularly have students (Nursing, EMS, High school, and College) all come through to observe. For clothing, closed toed shoes and long pants are a must but ask the office what else to wear. You will probably end up wearing scrubs or jeans and t shirt with PPE on top. Know what an autopsy is and the basics of it (Youtube and Google). Please eat food. It doesn't have to be a big breakfast or anything, but something filling. People do faint, but it is because they did not eat the morning of. This is why you eat.

The progression I see in the majority of our observers is the following: A natural repulsion/uneasiness (After all, this isn't an everyday thing for most people), followed by curiosity, and then fascination. A lot of pathologists I have worked for love to teach and revel at the opportunity to show anyone anything. Ask a tech at the beginning where to stand and when is appropriate to ask questions to the doctor. At our office we make sure all observers stay out of the doctor's way while also keeping them engaged. If you are there for a homicide or something of that nature then just be a shadow unless spoken to. The first autopsy I ever saw the pathologist was big on letting me hold and touch things, in their words "The cool part about this job is you get to poke s---." Take advantage of these opportunities. What ever you do: Do not psych yourself out. This is what gets people the most. It's okay to go in a little nervous, but don't hype it up to extreme degree in your head. You will probably notice how lighthearted the staff is. We make jokes all the time during autopsies, and classic rock is always playing. If we were super serious 110% of the time we would hate it. The smell will probably be your biggest issue since it is something you have never experienced before, but you will quickly get used to/over it. Before you go back, or put a mask on, put a mint in your mouth. It will cover the smell a good deal if you are worried.

This has the opportunity to be a really cool thing if you find yourself fascinated by it while your there, and if it is not your thing that's okay too, it's not for everybody. Go in with an open mind and a desire to experience something new. If you like it, try and observe as many cases as you can. You will learn something new every time. PM me if you have more questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a first year undergraduate student, and I scheduled autopsy observations for some pathology hours. Any advice prior to the autopsy? Should I eat differently or dress differently? What should I expect? Thanks to everyone in advance.

You should expect something similar to what happens in "Hostel". I remember even as an MS-IV on the first day of my autopsy rotation I felt a bit uneasy. Help out with a couple though, run some bowels (ie squeeze poop out of corpse's intestine), and you'll be a hardened pro.

Always keep in mind that this is someone's son/daughter/husband/wife/loved one/etc. It is a privilege to be able to see this. Be respectful and professional at all times.

Reactions: 4 users
Always keep in mind that this is someone's son/daughter/husband/wife/loved one/etc. It is a privilege to be able to see this. Be respectful and professional at all times.
This was the biggest shock to me. That the pathologist uses the body as a pin cushion for all the needles before he uses it, people swear at the body as though its the bodys fault that certain parts are difficult to remove etc, and flip the body around with total disregard.

The first autopsy I viewed was a little rough for me for this reason. I figured after my war experience, cleaning deer, and being an RN it would be easy peasy, but the disrespect for the body kind of disturbed me. After the first autopsy I wasn't so bothered though.