Graphic personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am narrowing down my final draft of the personal statement and there is one segment of it I would like to elaborate but don't know if I should.

*Background* I observed an autopsy and was fully enveloped in watching the pathology residents communicating with me and each other.

My current wording is along the lines of "They were constantly providing answers to questions I hadn't even asked." I would like to elaborate with a very vivid specific example. For no reason other than for my learning benefit, a resident removed the vaginal canal, turned it inside out and had me poke the cervix (Which only made me ask more questions). I feel like this event really emphasized that even during the autopsy they were aiding in my learning and positively communicating, but would this example be too graphic? Can I be too graphic? That is my prime example...

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

For no reason other than for my learning benefit, a resident removed the vaginal canal, turned it inside out and had me poke the cervix (Which only made me ask more questions).
This belongs nowhere in your PS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice then? How can I "Show" rather than "Tell" that it was during the autopsy, seeing this wealth of knowledge and willingness to share and communicate information that first sparked my curiosity?

Any advice then? How can I "Show" rather than "Tell" that it was during the autopsy, seeing this wealth of knowledge and willingness to share and communicate information that first sparked my curiosity?

Deidentify the tissue. I would think you could write plenty without going into such detail. Maybe speak more to the nature of the autopsy in general, and how you observed the process from start to finish and the impact that had on you.

Also, isn't it getting late for a ps? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Deidentify the tissue. I would think you could write plenty without going into such detail. Maybe speak more to the nature of the autopsy in general, and how you observed the process from start to finish and the impact that had on you.

Also, isn't it getting late for a ps? Or am I missing something?

I'm applying in 2019 and I'm working on my PS... I assume that's the same for OP?

I'm applying in 2019 and I'm working on my PS... I assume that's the same for OP?
OP said they were narrowing down their final draft which made me question things.

Reactions: 1 users
This vivid example left me feeling very uncomfortable. I don't believe that this would be part of an autopsy and if the body of the deceased was being mutilated for your edification or as something "cool" for a guy to see and touch... it just gives me the ickies (I'm not a physician but I am slightly familiar with autopsy procedures.)

You've got plenty of time; go back to the drawing board with that PS.

Reactions: 25 users
Very much a ditto and disrespectful of the deceased that this was offered.

Reactions: 6 users
jesus christ

Reactions: 9 users
Your personal statement is your big chance to share your passion and personality with medical school adcoms. Why the **** would you write about poking the sex organs of cadavers?

Reactions: 10 users
I was really hoping this thread was about your PS being written as a "graphic novel". I was all for it! 9 boxes showing your trials and triumph on the path to medical school.

But leave out the sketch of you poking someone's dead Grandma's vagina.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I am applying 2019-2020 cycle. What I meant by “final draft” was I have the final central narrative after narrowing from 5 other drafts.

I guess explaining that it was a female resident showing me what they thought was cervical cancer...but I see now there is a line where describing details is too much.

So this is a case where keeping it focused on how I learned and watched the communication etc. should suffice.

The rest of the portion about the autopsy covers what I saw from the physicians and how they taught and communicated etc.

The only description of the body itself beyond that example is in my opening line along the lines of “I stepped in closer and there she was - an exposed skull, dangling tongue and two lifeless eyes staring at nothing.” This is the second sentence (used as a kind of hook) and probably my most vivid memory and the most impactful moment from the autopsy. Is this too graphic as well or does this work?

Again, thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your personal statement is your big chance to share your passion and personality with medical school adcoms. Why the **** would you write about poking the sex organs of cadavers?

I didn’t even think about it this way, it was just one of the examples of the pathologist going out of their way to teach me more than I would have known as an observer. It was never part of my formal drafting, just an experience I remembered...although I don’t know why I remember it or how I felt in the moment...so yah, now I realize..

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I am applying 2019-2020 cycle. What I meant by “final draft” was I have the final central narrative after narrowing from 5 other drafts.

I guess explaining that it was a female resident showing me what they thought was cervical cancer...but I see now there is a line where describing details is too much.

So this is a case where keeping it focused on how I learned and watched the communication etc. should suffice.

The rest of the portion about the autopsy covers what I saw from the physicians and how they taught and communicated etc.

The only description of the body itself beyond that example is in my opening line along the lines of “I stepped in closer and there she was - an exposed skull, dangling tongue and two lifeless eyes staring at nothing.” This is the second sentence (used as a kind of hook) and probably my most vivid memory and the most impactful moment from the autopsy. Is this too graphic as well or does this work?

jesus christ x2

Reactions: 23 users
jesus christ x2
Mind helping out a student who is trying to understand rather than denigrating their questions? Should I just leave out descriptors of the act and focus on the experience? I truly want to get this thing written well and (the skull thing) has been liked by every professor/peer/etc I have ran my whole personal statement by, but these are all people who know me and backstory. I would love to hear a review from someone who does not know.

“I stepped in closer and there she was - an exposed skull, dangling tongue and two lifeless eyes staring at nothing."

Honestly, this is really morbid and dehumanizing. Would you want someone to use this kind of language to describe the body of your deceased grandparent?

Reactions: 12 users
Mind helping out a student who is trying to understand rather than denigrating their questions? Should I just leave out descriptors of the act and focus on the experience? I truly want to get this thing written well and (the skull thing) has been liked by every professor/peer/etc I have ran my whole personal statement by, but these are all people who know me and backstory. I would love to hear a review from someone who does not know.
It just sounds more like a horror novel honestly

Reactions: 6 users
While some of medicine is a euphemism for butchery-- physicians and especially nonmedical adcoms would probably prefer to not have the parallels slap them in the face while reading your PS. We try to sanitize what we do (probably related to puritanical values entrenched in our society...) and it's best to play along.

Don't disparage cadavers by reveling in their otherness. Youre talking about a human body. A life. You unfortunately sort of sound like an 11 yr old seeing their first boob. The first time I saw a beating heart during surgery I almost swooned but I didn't because I probably would've been slapped in the back of the head by the Russian surgeon I was working with for losing sight of the goal.

Whether true or not, we want to say we practice medicine by looking at things objectively, analytically and solving the problem.
Not by geeking out because you saw a dead body then describing it like a dead fish in the supermarket.

Thanks, I get that now.

“I stepped in closer and there she was - an exposed skull, dangling tongue and two lifeless eyes staring at nothing.”

What precise trait of yours does this communicate to the person reading your personal statement?

The problem is you're trying to "hook" the reader with wordplay. This is a goddamn personal statement to medical school not your literary 101 class. There's nothing you can write that "hooks" a physician more than an actual, genuine interest in medicine. Know your audience. Your audience are physicians, we don't have time to putz around reading wannabe literary geniuses. The fact your going into medicine means you're NOT the next great American author so quit the flowery, overly descriptive language and just be simple and straight with the facts. Talk about your interest in medicine. What brought along those interests and how you've explored other activities which only reinforced your interest in medicine. You want to use your pathology experience? Fine. Talk about the how you felt when you saw the insides of a human body for the first time, how seeing cancer for the first time actually impacting an organ made you feel. Something along those lines. Don't talk about poking vaginas or dangling tongue. It just sounds stupid.

And like others have mentioned ... your description of the process borders on, if not fully on disrespectful to the person on that table.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, this is really morbid and dehumanizing. Would you want someone to use this kind of language to describe the body of your deceased grandparent?
Again, I had not thought of that. Thank you. I had only seen it from the perspective of a student in the military some 7 years ago.

It wasn’t the autopsy itself but the physicians themselves that influenced me. That is the majority of the focus and I will rework it to that.

Reactions: 5 users
The problem is you're trying to "hook" the reader with wordplay. This is a goddamn personal statement to medical school not your literary 101 class. There's nothing you can write that "hooks" a physician more than an actual, genuine interest in medicine. Know your audience. Your audience are physicians, we don't have time to putz around reading wannabe literary geniuses. The fact your going into medicine means you're NOT the next great American author so quit the flowery, overly descriptive language and just be simple and straight with the facts. Talk about your interest in medicine. What brought along those interests and how you've explored other activities which only reinforced your interest in medicine. You want to use your pathology experience? Fine. Talk about the how you felt when you saw the insides of a human body for the first time, how seeing cancer for the first time actually impacting an organ made you feel. Something along those lines. Don't talk about poking vaginas or dangling tongue. It just sounds stupid.

And like others have mentioned ... your description of the process borders on, if not fully on disrespectful to the person on that table.
Thank you, needed that. This is feedback that I have been looking for. Stylistic feedback is what I have been getting thus far and I suppose it has leaned much too far towards that end.

Honestly, if you've never heard of "Misery" by stephen king, give it a quick read and use that as guidance

Reactions: 2 users

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, find an example of something inspiring that involves an actual living person (ideally without vaginal eversion and cervix poking).

Medicine is often cool (and more often disgusting), and as a medical student and eventual doctor you will be entrusted to do things that few other people ever will get the chance to do. Medical schools are looking for people they can trust to be worthy of those responsibilities.

I’m not an admin, but alarm bells would be going off in my head if I read a personal statement like that. A little too Dexter Morgan. Even if you do plan on going into pathology, I don’t think cadavers should be entering into your personal statement unless you escaped from/volunteered in a war torn village somewhere.

5040904-7959263883-aveng.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, find an example of something inspiring that involves an actual living person (ideally without vaginal eversion and cervix poking).

Medicine is often cool (and more often disgusting), and as a medical student and eventual doctor you will be entrusted to do things that few other people ever will get the chance to do. Medical schools are looking for people they can trust to be worthy of those responsibilities.

I’m not an admin, but alarm bells would be going off in my head if I read a personal statement like that. A little too Dexter Morgan. Even if you do plan on going into pathology, I don’t think cadavers should be entering into your personal statement unless you escaped from/volunteered in a war torn village somewhere.

My genuine moment of inspiration was during this autopsy. Watching these doctors communicate with each other and answering any and every question I asked so seemlessly. Seeing the knowledge they had and how effectively they communicated it made me want to be on the other side, to see living patients, know enough to be able to help them, and communicate that information with my patients as well as the residents communicated with me.

Is that a narrative you would not want to hear from (the first half-ish) a personal statement?

The context:Medical laboratory technician student in the Army.

And with none of the morbid details, as I have learned...

This vivid example left me feeling very uncomfortable. I don't believe that this would be part of an autopsy and if the body of the deceased was being mutilated for your edification or as something "cool" for a guy to see and touch... it just gives me the ickies (I'm not a physician but I am slightly familiar with autopsy procedures.)

You've got plenty of time; go back to the drawing board with that PS.

Elaborating that they were showing me a potential cervical cancer maybe would have helped.....but I am removing all morbid details of the autopsy itself. Thank you.

How can I show this then? Seeing this patient made me wonder what happened on the health care side and all of the residents answering all of my questions inspired me to want to attain that knowledge and communicate it to patients as well as hey communicated to me. This is not my entire PS, but merely the “spark” moment I guess. Would that be a worthy narrative, as that is the genuine truth of when I felt inspired to pursue medicine.

Elaborating that they were showing me a potential cervical cancer maybe would have helped.....but I am removing all morbid details of the autopsy itself. Thank you.

How can I show this then? Seeing this patient made me wonder what happened on the health care side and all of the residents answering all of my questions inspired me to want to attain that knowledge and communicate it to patients as well as hey communicated to me. This is not my entire PS, but merely the “spark” moment I guess. Would that be a worthy narrative, as that is the genuine truth of when I felt inspired to pursue medicine.

I don't think you're getting it.

Take every single thing you've thought of regarding your personal statement, and throw it away. Do not use it.

If you get an interview, Do not bring up dead people, inverted vaginas, or poking your finger into a cold cervix

My genuine moment of inspiration was during this autopsy. Watching these doctors communicate with each other and answering any and every question I asked so seemlessly. Seeing the knowledge they had and how effectively they communicated it made me want to be on the other side, to see living patients, know enough to be able to help them, and communicate that information with my patients as well as the residents communicated with me.

Is that a narrative you would not want to hear from (the first half-ish) a personal statement?

Is this the only moment of inspiration you’ve had about medicine? If it is, you may be looking at the wrong career.

I don’t care if it cutting the flesh gives you a husband’s bulge,

ea38e24c-dd84-4036-8021-11058cee07dc_text.gif

(Highly recommend “Cabin in the Woods”)

even if that is your true inspiration for medicine, if you actually want to be a doctor, I would pick another. This is one situation where honesty might not be the best policy in your application. Don’t say you did something you didn’t do, but I would find an alternative explanation for your motivation to be a doctor.

I don't think you're getting it.

Take every single thing you've thought of regarding your personal statement, and throw it away. Do not use it.

If you get an interview, Do not bring up dead people, inverted vaginas, or poking your finger into a cold cervix
I fully understand the morbidity of description now and am not including anything about physical descriptions or actions in the autopsy.

It has been changed to simply I was there to learn, they pointed out everything that contributed to her death (no specifics), they answered all of my questions, I was fascinated to learn but seeing it all first hand I knew I wanted to be on the other side when the patient is still alive.

That is the gist of the first 1,700 characters of the personal statement followed by further events.

Even this does not seem to fly and I am not getting it and would greatly enjoy if it were explained.

Nope. Shows a lack of empathy and maturity that you didn’t see that as the perception of the reader.

This is not my entire PS, but merely the “spark” moment I guess. Would that be a worthy narrative, as that is the genuine truth of when I felt inspired to pursue medicine.

What made you want to even get into the position of observing the autopsy? Because from all of your posts it seems you want to go into medicine because you'll get to see the insides of more people, which would more likely land you in a padded cell rather than med school.

Is this the only moment of inspiration you’ve had about medicine? If it is, you may be looking at the wrong career.

I don’t care if it cutting the flesh gives you a husband’s bulge,

ea38e24c-dd84-4036-8021-11058cee07dc_text.gif

(Highly recommend “Cabin in the Woods”)

even if that is your true inspiration for medicine, if you actually want to be a doctor, I would pick another. This is one situation where honesty might not be the best policy in your application. Don’t say you did something you didn’t do, but I would find an alternative explanation for your motivation to be a doctor.

By no means is this my only experience that drives me towards medicine. I have inspiration ranging from simulated wartime hospital exercise at the Mayo Clinic and deserts of California, my entire medical laboratory technician program, being a father, shadowing in Urology, pathology, IM, ER, family practice, volunteering for search and rescue, building a hospital in Colombia while in the army...the autopsy was just that initial spark and I figured the rest of it would be better off in the supplement essays.

I guess I am coming from a military and laboratory background where morbidity is literally the job description and have not seen it until now. Thank you for the advice and I will work with that.

What made you want to even get into the position of observing the autopsy? Because from all of your posts it seems you want to go into medicine because you'll get to see the insides of more people, which would more likely land you in a padded cell rather than med school.
I was the student platoon leader for my class in the medical Laboratory technician program with the army. Because I was doing well in my rotations and I was the platoon leader, my platoon sergeant literally just asked me at 4 AM the day of if I wanted to observe.

The overarching theme of my PS is that I want to learn and share (reservoir of knowledge for patients kind of thing) and how my experience seeing the knowledge these pathologists had and they effectively communicated it with me made me want to have the same knowledge but to communicate it just as well to living patients. Then I tie in getting married and having a child and I learned the hard way from my wife that patients don’t always want information, they sometimes just want compassion and sympathy (is a wife during pregnancy from her husband...)

I was the student platoon leader for my class in the medical Laboratory technician program with the army. Because I was doing well in my rotations and I was the platoon leader, my platoon sergeant literally just asked me at 4 AM the day of if I wanted to observe.

The overarching theme of my PS is that I want to learn and share (reservoir of knowledge for patients kind of thing) and how my experience seeing the knowledge these pathologists had and they effectively communicated it with me made me want to have the same knowledge but to communicate it just as well to living patients. Then I tie in getting married and having a child and I learned the hard way from my wife that patients don’t always want information, they sometimes just want compassion and sympathy (is a wife during pregnancy from her husband...)
But I will go back to the drawing board and then compare drafts...

By no means is this my only experience that drives me towards medicine. I have inspiration ranging from simulated wartime hospital exercise at the Mayo Clinic and deserts of California, my entire medical laboratory technician program, being a father, shadowing in Urology, pathology, IM, ER, family practice, volunteering for search and rescue, building a hospital in Colombia while in the army...the autopsy was just that initial spark and I figured the rest of it would be better off in the supplement essays.

I guess I am coming from a military and laboratory background where morbidity is literally the job description and have not seen it until now. Thank you for the advice and I will work with that.

It sounds like you have more than enough material.

You can let the cadaver anecdote go.

The theme of your PS is simple: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR.

You can “learn and share” in a LOT of careers, not just medicine. So why MEDICINE? If your reader can’t get that answer by the end of your PS, you’ve written it wrong. Somehow I don’t see how getting married is relevant either.

My thoughts exactly. This seems like a serious breach of ethical behavior on part of the residents.

The theme of your PS is simple: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR.

You can “learn and share” in a LOT of careers, not just medicine. So why MEDICINE? If your reader can’t get that answer by the end of your PS, you’ve written it wrong. Somehow I don’t see how getting married is relevant either.
"...I wanted to be a physician to act as a reservoir of knowledge to assist unknowing patients. While this mindset still holds true, the way my family makes me feel - full of life and wanting to be the best I can - is how I will someday treat my patients."

That is the influence of my family in the current-and-soon-to-be-revised PS. Is that a theme that can stick?

We need to introduce you to @Prometheus123. You two would get along great.

Seriously though, I would highly recommend that you go read his previous posts about his personal statements. You should see some oddly familiar critiques that may help you understand what people are telling you.

"...I wanted to be a physician to act as a reservoir of knowledge to assist unknowing patients. While this mindset still holds true, the way my family makes me feel - full of life and wanting to be the best I can - is how I will someday treat my patients."

That is the influence of my family in the current-and-soon-to-be-revised PS. Is that a theme that can stick?

Maybe you should just write up what you have and ask one the PS readers on this site to look at it. You're giving us piecemeal information and without/disjointed context of the content. It'd be easier to judge and give suggestions reading it all in its entirety as things look weird by itself but may work within the PS as a whole.

Maybe you should just write up what you have and ask one the PS readers on this site to look at it. You're giving us piecemeal information and without/disjointed context of the content. It'd be easier to judge and give suggestions reading it all in its entirety as things look weird by itself but may work within the PS as a whole.
That is the general idea I am getting...and I did not know that PS readers on SDN was a thing. I have my entire fifth draft of my PS all ready to go, although this thread has made me revise from 5,298 to 3,926 characters...so I have some wiggle room.

I’m not sure I would call patients “unkowning” on my personal statement. I would try to focus more on how u as part of a patient’s healthcare team can help patients make informed decisions to fit their individual healthcare goals.

-and then your next sentence after the “unknowning” comment i find confusing, does it mean u will treat your patients full of life, bc that doesn’t make a lot of grammatical sense. I would try to use a more direct concise sentence structure.

Reactions: 3 users
@samualjhatfield

I fully understand the morbidity of description now and am not including anything about physical descriptions or actions in the autopsy.

It has been changed to simply I was there to learn, they pointed out everything that contributed to her death (no specifics), they answered all of my questions, I was fascinated to learn but seeing it all first hand I knew I wanted to be on the other side when the patient is still alive.

You do not understand because seeing an autopsy is perplexingly still in your PS. Poking a cervix is not a why medicine answer

That is the gist of the first 1,700 characters of the personal statement followed by further events.

1700 characters too many

Even this does not seem to fly and I am not getting it and would greatly enjoy if it were explained.

read the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.