Obsolete Writing Section!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PKGupta7057

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am taking the MCAT in August, and applying for medical schools NEXT summer, I just thought to get a head start on the MCAT and all..
But since everyone I will be competing with will NOT have a writing section (They will no longer have one as of January 2013), how important is it to do well?
Will med schools even look at it?

Just wondering! Thanks a lot!
 
In the same situation, prolly if (1) you get a really, really ****ty letter, it'll put you slightly below a 2013 taker who got the same score as you, but if (2) you get a really, really bomb letter, it'll put you slightly above a 2013 taker who got the same score as you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@AshPreMed
What do you mean? I understand that the writing score is graded as a letter, but it can't be repeated?

Can't be repeated cause this is the last year they're offering it, whereas you can repeat your numbers ( My test is on 9/11 so I'm taking the very last MCAT writing portion ever =P )
 
Aren't you worried you might have a bad marker (or do badly) at your Writing section? It is so subjective and you do not know what to expect. It seems like a do or die situation to me. if you do badly it can really hurt you, if you do well it won't even matter, so what is the point?
 
Yeah I'm worried about that, I am an engineer and I haven't written a response like this in years, I don't want to waste time practicing/preparing for the writing section, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea :-\

I'm taking it on 8/23