Obtaining EMT-b certification while in high school

DJ179179

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to obtain my EMT-b certification as a senior/17 year old in the southwest Ohio area. I know that there is a community college in Cleveland, Ohio that allows students to take an EMT-b certification class as a 17 year old senior, however it is too far for me to travel. Does anyone of a school with a similar age requirement in south-west Ohio, Northern Kentucky, or south-east Indiana. I would appreciate any advice you could provide. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 17 as well. I've tried, I also tried a local place that was looking for volunteers. It is very hard due to the age difference of 17 and 18. It's just a number for some people. For others, they make assumptions before even viewing the application. Try your local fire station, mine took applications but it was extremely competitive, so I did not get in. Good luck.

I'm 17 as well. I've tried, I also tried a local place that was looking for volunteers. It is very hard due to the age difference of 17 and 18. It's just a number for some people. For others, they make assumptions before even viewing the application. Try your local fire station, mine took applications but it was extremely competitive, so I did not get in. Good luck.
Maybe i will look at community colleges and adult career centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
At 17 you're a minor and being an EMT/firefighter is not without risk. Even if you're the world's most mature 17 year old it's still a legal issue.

At 17 you're a minor and being an EMT/firefighter is not without risk. Even if you're the world's most mature 17 year old it's still a legal issue.
I concur, most community colleges won't accept it because of the age. My only shot was fire station, however, they still denied I am presuming to age.

If you guys are going to be pre-medical students, I would be careful about doing too much before you start Undergrad. It is important to get into a good University for Undergrad, and then start to build your resume from there. I know adcoms are weary about activities done in high school. Plus, in california, the age to become an EMT-B is 18.

As a medical student who went to the cheapest state school and subsquently got into top 20 schools and state school, I would vehemently disagree with this statement. My class is full of people from all kinds of schools-- big, small, liberal arts, private, public, etc-- the commonality is we all had the grades/MCAT to get in and had well-rounded CVs. That's all that matters.

Reactions: 1 users
As a medical student who went to the cheapest state school and subsquently got into top 20 schools and state school, I would vehemently disagree with this statement. My class is full of people from all kinds of schools-- big, small, liberal arts, private, public, etc-- the commonality is we all had the grades/MCAT to get in and had well-rounded CVs. That's all that matters.
@addy thats not what i mean, I'm simply encouraging the OP to do their best and get into the best undergraduate institution they can. Its not like i am telling them they can't be successful unless they go to Harvard, the important thing is getting into a 4 year college to get started towards medical school, obviously, everyone wants to get into a good college

ats not what i mean, I'm simply encouraging the OP to do their best and get into the best undergraduate institution they can. Its not like i am telling them they can't be successful unless they go to Harvard, the important thing is getting into a 4 year college to get started towards medical school, obviously, everyone

I get what you're saying. Even then, I would recommend going where you're happy , all else being equal. My ex went into college 10000% sure she wanted to medicine. Went to a "top tier" school that's high-strung and not a healthy environment, very grade driven-- she's now in dental school bc she didn't have the grades for medical school. The main reason why kids from the upper tier schools don't get into medical school isn't that they aren't smart enough, it's usually that they are too burnt out trying to get into them out of high school or burnt out once they get there, and their grades suffer...

I know i am allowed to be in an EMT-B in Ohio as per: "Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) 4765-7-02 (A) (20) states that the Ohio EMFTS Accredited Training Institution; “Shall allow a student who is at least seventeen years old, who is enrolled in the twelfth or final grade in a secondary school program and who otherwise meets the requirements for admission into the EMS training program to be admitted and to complete the emergency medical technician training program;". I just need to find a program in southwestern Ohio. If anyone knows of any that would be very helpful.

I am looking to obtain my EMT-b certification as a senior/17 year old in the southwest Ohio area. I know that there is a community college in Cleveland, Ohio that allows students to take an EMT-b certification class as a 17 year old senior, however it is too far for me to travel. Does anyone of a school with a similar age requirement in south-west Ohio, Northern Kentucky, or south-east Indiana. I would appreciate any advice you could provide. Thanks.

Hi, I would just do a google search on community colleges in your area and see where to go from there. I would also check with your vocational schools or even high schools because some programs in high schools allow seniors to get credit for a special program along with their 12th grade courses while they are in high school and they can continue with that same program even after they graduate. Also, you can ask your guidance counselor to see what they suggest. Good luck to you. Marcy CNA

I completed an EMT-B course when I was 17, and had no qualms. But, I also turned 18 before we tested for NREMT.

This is the big hold up. You can not test for your national registry certification unless you are over the age of 18.

Hi, I would just do a google search on community colleges in your area and see where to go from there. I would also check with your vocational schools or even high schools because some programs in high schools allow seniors to get credit for a special program along with their 12th grade courses while they are in high school and they can continue with that same program even after they graduate. Also, you can ask your guidance counselor to see what they suggest. Good luck to you. Marcy CNA

I completed an EMT-B course when I was 17, and had no qualms. But, I also turned 18 before we tested for NREMT.

This is the big hold up. You can not test for your national registry certification unless you are over the age of 18.

Thanks for all the help! I enrolled in a course at my local Career Center and just have to wait until I turn 18 so I can take the NREMT test.